picking the right CPLD/FPGA

I have an automotive project that I'd like to use a CPLD or FPGA in. My inputs and outputs are all 5 volt and I would like to keep the temperature range from -40 to 100 deg C. None of the choices at this "industrial" temp level are DIP and none of the development boards list their temperature range.

What is a good choice for a hobbiest at these temp levels?

Thank you,
Frank

Replies

• arga
    arga
    I'm adding a little more info in case anyone else searches on this.

I have a Xilinx Spartan II chip in 208 pin PQFP format. I heard there were sockets available that convert it to through-hole. There are but they are really expensive and I would still need another socket for a PROM. I've used Xilinx's WebPack tools and I really like them.

Digilent makes small proto-boards I like called CMODs with various Xilinx CPLDs on them. The board fits into a 40 pin DIP socket. As far as I can tell, they don't come in industrial temp, though.

Altera's EPM3032ATI44-10N is a good chip and it's available in my temp range. It's a 3.3V chip but I believe it will handle 5V inputs. For those familiar with Megasquirt fuel injection, this is the chip they are using on the new sequencer board. I haven't tried Altera's programming tools but I've heard good things about them.

Finially, Atmel makes a CPLD in DIP, the ATF750C-10PU. It's 5V and it's available in -40 to 85 degree C, which would be acceptable. Their SW tools are free but I'm completely lost using them. I admit I'm out of my area of expertise but even our top EE at work stays away from their CPLDs because of their tools. (He likes their microprocessors, though.)

Frank

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everybody ..... i needed help in gettin information about the project i'm doin ...... DTMF home automation system using telephone is the title of the project
Hi! I am your new friend name Mitesh I wanted some information about EXTC Degree colleges near Pune side If anyone has some information about which college will be better...
please guys i m learning python,i want some ideas how can i start my project? please guys help me 😔
I only recently came across this place, thru the Electronics Design portal (Electronic Design Welcome). Got a whole collection of videos showcasing the latest and greatest engineering tech! A good...
Guys check this out.. Would you like to know if your mobile is original or not?! Press the following on your mobile *#06# and the-international mobile equipment identity number appears...