People are not God loving, they are God fearing!

So, I watched this movie yesterday named "Oh My God", and its a hindi adaption of "The man who sued God". Though the movie is not that good in itself, but the message is quite compelling. They are trying to show that People dont love god, they fear him and thats why they worship. And I dont see any reason why it isnt true. Lets say when someone dies we arrange a big puja and mritubhoj so that his soul will get peace and wont harm us. Or some of us have some restrictions on particular days of the week, coz it will make God happy and God will make them a human in next birth! I have always believed, "Only afraid people can be ruled over". No one can rule free people and concept of God is just another form of it. Remove the part where God will punish you and I bet no-one is gonna show up in temples tomorrow.😉
What does CEans think about that, you love God or you fear him?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I believe the concept of 'God' - one unique supreme ruler was created to make people keep self-check. But that's just my naive opinion. I believe we already know the answer to 'God' - and it's called energy. It's just everywhere and keeps the Universe in check.

Coming back to your question - I tend to believe in God as a supreme energy that needs not to be feared.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Exactly my point. You made God, fine. You believe in him, good. But now you do all these things in the name of him and live in fear that if you wont do it, he will punish you, rubbish. I remember a conversation here between Morpheus and Neo from movie Matrix:

Morpheus: Neo, Do you believe in luck?
    Neo: No.
    Morpheus: Why?
    Neo: Because I dont like the idea of someone else controlling my life!
  • rch
    rch
    According to me yes we should be afraid of God when we do some thing wrong our are involved in bad habits but prayers and worshiping God is for our self only. God is here to guide us.
    Now a days every single person is indulge in any of the illegal activities and their is a guilt in evry1s heart being wrong and are afraid of God so to overcome that they do prayers and worship God.
    I have seen temples,gurudwaras fully occupied with no. of people who are reciting names not purely with heart but only for their selfish motive thet God may not punish them.
    I wanna say dont do such things which make you feel ashamed in your own and God's eyes.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Any scientist or engineer finds it difficult to accept the concept of God of any religion. An all pervading entity in time and space has to be all inclusive and cannot have a gender or shape. It automatically means that everything since the beginning of time has to be inside It.
    Nor can It have any human emotions. After all human beings are a minuscule part of all creations, living or non living. If I do something evil and I was created by this Entity, then that same Entity is responsible for the way I am.
    Love and fear are human emotions.
    It is not God (male) that created us in His image. It is we humans, who created God in our image (enhanced as super persons in some religions). We then go on to make God an autocrat, who wields the whip for every minor misdemeanor.
    Of course, God is real to the believer.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    There is one man who researched Science and found that God is too real in this world.

He is none other than Albert Einstein. His idea is mine also If you fear him with out loving Him for who he is then there is no point in you believing in God.

Personally I LOVE HIM so much that I respect him beyond Words expressable
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    .. and one day -" when the beginning of the universe is found, the dark matter is proved , mysteries of universe has been solved by immense efforts of thoussands of scientists" , someone will say -" that is the god we were talking about since centuries" attributing all scientific effort as a search effort of god.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kindly note this pal Dark matter theory also has lots of things still unanswered this is not the right thread for discussing those stuff I will create a thread and then post stuff there regarding it
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Einstein's view in his own words:
    Quote:
    "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text."

"I believe in Baruch Spinoza Philosophy, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."
    Endquote

Religious Views Of Albert Einstein
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I did my high school at Sacred Heart's in Don Bosco seminary. I was the only Hindu student while the rest were all going to become Roman Catholic priests. All our teachers were priests. My science teacher, Rev. Fr. Friedrich, a German priest, spent lot of time with me personally teaching me the methods of science and integrity in research. He was the one who set me on the road to scientific research.
    The important thing was nobody ever forced the Catholic faith on me.
    It is a different matter that we had Latin as second language and we learnt various Latin hymns in praise of Jesus and Mother Mary.

I have great respect for truly religious people of any religion. I am willing to accept that every religion is valid for the true believer. It is also true that the truly religious live in harmony with believers of other religions. It is the fanatics that create problems.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Real true Sir people who fear God are in many ways blinded by their belief to an extent that makes them more of a fanatic in other words plain religious terrorists
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Agreed with you #-Link-Snipped-# sir and of,course with Einstein's views. Creation of God is not an issue. Everyone has his/her own perception of God. The problem arises when you start fearing him, when you start thinking before every task ,"What will God do to me, if I do this?". This fear makes us weak and draw us towards superstitions which in turn reduces our ability. Believe in God, thats good, necessary even, but dont fear him. See him as companion, as your guide not as a ruler whom you owe your life.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If, a big IF, humans created God, why in Heaven's name did they make God a despot! The problem is that humans also created free will. God created Man and also gave him the freedom to sin or not. Why? Because, only then the responsibility for sinning can be placed against the sinner, who can be sent for ever to Hell. The cop out is repent and all will be forgiven.
    Any intelligent person can have a whale of a time doing all sorts of sins with the assurance that he/she can repent in the end and all will be forgiven. Hinduism with the concept of Karma is better. A full record is kept of all actions (both good and bad) done during that life. This is added to any balance karma from previous births. Ultimately one has to settle all accounts by one (or a million)rebirth(s). The good does not cancel the bad. In a rebirth one may enjoy wealth (reward for previous good)) and have cancer (punishment for sins).
    Quote:
    "The prayer of the agnostic: "O God, if there is a God, save my soul if I have a soul."
    (Ernest Renan / 1823-1892)
    Endquote
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    What a topic! While studying I questioned the existence of GOD. Watching a bunch of documentaries on Nat. Geo. about space, dark matter and visitors from outer space. But some experiences I was faced with assured me that there is someone watching over me. I have also learnt not to fear him. GOD does not punish us. It is our own karma and the consequences of of our actions that determine what happens to us. We have the power to create our own path.Thank GOD! I grew up as a Hindu and have been exposed to many religions. Like Bioramani I am not ignorant to any beliefs. Knowledge is power, Wisdom on the other hand is very rare and I personally thank God for giving me strength to attain wisdom.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's a really good topic you've started here. Though I haven't seen that movie yet, I've heard it raises some really good issues that people follow *in the name of God*. Could you share what else you found worth discussing?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, sure. You see that didnt question the existence of God. They agree that God exists (may be a step to save movie from getting banned...😛). Anyways, they are opposing the things people do in the name of God. And I have got nothing against Pujaris (I am an hindu so I would talk about that religion only), but I believe they are the most responsible people for all this. There task is to guide the mass, not take benefit of people's innocence.😡

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been hearing lot of positive reviews of the movie 'English Vinglish'. The movie seems to be a story of a simple, middle-class lady from Maharashtra (her name is Sashi...
So I was thinking if we can have home security system powered by NFC. The near field communication technology is being rapidly adopted in the mobile phones and being primarily...
The logo of the upcoming conference on 'Science and Non Duality' caught my attention - The conference has been scheduled between October 24th-28th, 2012 at San Rafael, California and May...
Wishing you a many many Happy returns of the day Sandy AKA CEan- English-Scared 🎉😁 Party Time!!😁🎉
Just wrote a post detailing top features of Mozilla firefox on Windows 8 metro UI. Check out the brand new interface Mozilla's engineers are developing. I like the minimal UI...