Penetration Testing - Career / Courses etc.

Sir,
I'm working as a Manual Tester for 1.3 yrs and love my job. But I'm interested in Penetration Testing.
My doubt is if I plan to do a course in penetration Testing, will it be considered as a part of Testing or will it be an entirely different career path?
Also being First Tester in my family of Developers, I get to hear the comments "Why Testing?" I just have to explain my logic to them. For tht they will reply, "Testing is very Easy". Is it the same case for all other Testers?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - welcome to CrazyEngineers. I've moved your question to a separate discussion.

Your question is not clear. You may take a course in penetration testing and it'll be considered a part of software testing, more significantly in the security domain. The career path will continue to be 'Software QA or Testing'. There are people who've made a career in security testing, database testing, mobile app testing; so frankly speaking there's no difference. It's all a part of software testing.

Why are we supposed to be doing 'tough' things in career? Testing is easy - then that's an awesome thing. Who said you should do very complicated things in your career? Those who want to work on complicated things should rather work on String Theory and find out perpetual motion machine. The 'development' thing in Indian software industry is another joke. I'd better not talk about it.

I'd not participate in such a debate in first place. A better debate would be 'importance of software testing'. If you must respond, ask them whether they'd fly in a aeroplane that's not been thoroughly tested.
  • Bhargavi A Kulkarni
    Bhargavi A Kulkarni
    Thanx for replying to my query.
    I would be more specific about my doubts.
    1)Are there opportunities as a Penetration Tester or we have to have some knowledge about other fields of Information Security like say Hacking?
    2)What is the scope for a Penetration Tester in Indian Industry?
  • Smiech
    Smiech
    In my humble opinion and work experience I'd say that technology becomes a bigger part of more individual industries and the demand for penetration testers grows. However, because it's such a specialized job, you'll often have a steady amount of competition for job openings specific to penetration testing, especially at the entry level before you have work experience.

Of course, there are opportunities: IT Services, IT Consultans, National Defense Testing, Financial Services where you could be working for accounting firms or banks.

As a Penetration tester, you would be expected to conduct formal tests on web-based applications, networks, and other types of computer systems on a regular basis. You'll also be expected to work on physical security assessments of servers, computer systems, and networks. Along with these tests and assessments, you'll be conducting regular security audits from both a logical/theoretical standpoint and a technical/hands-on standpoint. In most jobs, you'll be expected to work on the security of wireless networks, databases, software development, and/or company secrets. Each of these areas is different, and many people choose to specialize in only one or two of them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Flipkart will announce $1 billion in fresh funding from its old investors - Tiger Global, DST Global, Accel Partners and others; making it the biggest round of funding EVER by...
need a book to study basics of civil engineering. moments,stress,forces,materials,etc. can anybody please suggest a relevant book.
Name: Bhargavi Kulkarni *Engineering Trade: Computers Location: Mumbai *Occupation: Working as Web Tester (Manual) Work Experience: Worked as an Application Tester *Hobbies & Interests: Reading(No other option fr a student,...
If, for example, I have an input to my arduino, if it matches the certain value, I want to output the word MATCHED on a black and white screen. But...
Everything's going digital, even news, and while we rejoice getting the latest news right on our smartphones/laptop/tablet, there are some who still prefer getting them via the traditional newspapers. Little...