Pedal-Powered (Vacuum) Zeolite Refrigerator

This project seem very interesting
Pedal-Powered (Vacuum) Zeolite Refrigerator - YouTube
any tried it before ? i was just wondering if i can replace the Zeolite to just simple silica gel where i can get it easily .

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Prof.Victor Papanek described this in his book Design for the real world:
    Quote:
    At Cal Arts one of my graduate students, Jim Hennessey, and I were more concerned
    as to how Third World people could keep part of their perishables fresh for a week
    or two, starting now. We developed a hand-cranked, modular produce cooler.
    There is a baseboard unit that includes a tyre pump, a heat exchanger, a pump, pump
    valves, and a metering valve, as well as a hand crank. This is surmounted by a 50 cm.
    styrofoam cube with a lid. It forces hot pressurised air through a heat exchange which
    returns the air to near-ambient temperature. The air is then metered back into the
    cooler, where, as it expands, it produces a temperature drop. Other modular cubes
    can be added. Certainly this is no way to keep two bottles of milk, some Coke, and a
    roast of beef freezing cold. But twenty minutes of cranking will ensure that, say, a
    bushel of mangoes will be kept cool enough not to rot (40° F.) for twelve hours.
    More importantly, the units can be built in villages in the Third World with existing
    tools and used valves. Since this problem was solved, we have begun doing re- search
    into substituting a sandwich panel (made of two outer layers of used newspapers and
    a core of dried native leaves) for the styrofoam. The design will be given to
    UNESCO.
    Endquote
    Design for the Real World (idesign.blogfa.com)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: One of my pet peeves is to see an engineer identified as a scientist, or an engineering achievement described as a scientific one. It happens all the time in...
If you have played Super Mario Bros - Video Game ever in your life, you will totally love this - [video=youtube;u3XYsINR-y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u3XYsINR-y4[/video] 👍 Cheers to the good old Mario days!
1. Mannering's personal diary, a record of ____ preoccupations and domestic details, belies the depth of thought for which he was renowned in the academic world. A. philosophical B. mundane...
1. ____ adherence to outdated political ideas and defunct sects characterized the last years of a man who had, surprisingly, been one of the most flexible thinkers of the 1920s....
1. Even though Byron is frequently glib, it is still hard to dismiss him as a ____ thinker. A. superficial B. profound C. lightweight D. lucid E. verbose F. uncompromising...