Pedal Power Your Laptop At Work Using The Big Rig & Pedal Genny Generator

A new design build firm called Pedal Power wants you pedal your way at work to bring power to your gadgets - laptops, smartphones or tablets. Using two pedal-powered machines called the Big Rig and the Pedal Genny, this company aims at helping you understand how difficult it is to generate electrical energy and in the process reduce your ecological footprint. Using Pedal Power, Andy & Steve - a team of two is demonstrating how household charging phones, processing food, and pumping water is all possible with pedaling power.

Among the two machines developed by Pedal Power, the first one is the Big Rig - a multi-function machine that can drive an electric generator, water pump, air compressor, a hydraulic press and even various types of food processors. It features a built-in, adjustable seat and work surface. While the other machine - The Pedal Genny is a smaller, single-function maching that can be configured to generate electricity or for other mechanical uses. Both these devices were hand-made in spare time by the duo and therefore are a bit expensive. The Pedal Power Big Rig will be sold at $2000 while the Pedal Ginny at $650 (both don't include shipping).

pedal-power-laptop-kickstarter

As we look at the Big Rig's features - we find an ergonomic seat that can be quickly adjusted for different riders, a flywheel to smooth pedaling, a wide range of gearing, and an all-steel, hand-built frame. Whereas the Pedal Genny also features a flywheel to smooth pedaling and full-size cranks built on an all-steel frame. The team has shared that the primary reason why pedal power is so useful is because 2 legs can generate 8 times more power than 1 arm with considerably more endurance.

The Pedal Power project is now up on Kickstarter looking for supporters and funding. Following is the video put up by the team to see how pedal power can be used at work and otherwise. Have a look -

Update: The team has shared that bicycle technology has 97% efficiency. And they think that it is hight time that we stop using it only for transportation and take it to another uses. How do you like the Pedal Power concept?

Source - #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The last time I remember someone putting pedal power to real use was - Aeroscepsy, the japanese team, who works for Yamaha, who had developed an aircraft-bike, and what they call 'Gokurakutombo' - which translates to 'happy-go-lucky' or 'happy dragonfly'. This pedal-powered aircraft is human-powered and aiming for a new world record for largest distance by flying 75 miles over the Pacific Ocean in Japan!
    Read here: Aeroscepsy Yamaha Team Build Pedal-Powered Aircraft Bike, Aim For World Record!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I love the idea, and now I dont want to know how difficult it is to generate electricity as I already know it, I just want to understand few more things like, what is the power output of the machine? Since we are sitting next to it , so electric shocks will be my concern, and you know if we have to think of commercializing these, why dont we just connect (smaller size) to all the rotating objects at home?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published an Apple patent filing indicating that Apple is developing a technology where-in concerned devices will be able to share wireless networks over...
I live in Pune, on CDAC site I saw there official training centre is in University of Pune and then there are what they call 'Authorized Training Centres'(Sunbeam, infoway, Knowledge...
Please! Can anybody help me out with my blackberry 9700(bold 2). D problem is dat, its alway boot n I don't knw y. Please help me out... Thanks.
I'm thinking of making a list of companies across various industries and domains and the stipend they offer to interns. I'm quite sure such a list would be super useful...
CEans, The downloads section we have on CrazyEngineers just got even better! There are several new additions and the most visible being 'Featured Downloads'. Plus, each resource can now have...