Partitioning Hard Disk for Red Hat Linux

Hi,

I want to install Red Hat Linux on my computer which already has Windows XP. I have one 80 GB hard drive with partitions C:20 GB and rest D:

My questions are -

1. How do I partition this hard drive to install Red Hat
2. Can I install RH without disturbing the current WinXP setup?
3. Besides '/' & 'swap', what are the other partitions should I create on my hard drive?

Jerry

Replies

• desijays
    desijays
    Jerry
    1. How do I partition this hard drive to install Red Hat

Jerry
    Red Hat comes with a partition manager at install time. So don't worry about it. It can automatically create the partitions for you without messing with your windows partition. If you want manual control, you got that too. But make sure you know what you're doing.

Jerry
    2. Can I install RH without disturbing the current WinXP setup?

Jerry
    yup, very much so mate.

Jerry
    3. Besides '/' & 'swap', what are the other partitions should I create on my hard drive?

Jerry
    If its a the drive you're gonna boot from, you might need a primary partition to store the GRUB loader to choose which operating system you want to start working on. And you can add some logical partitions as well. Remember, you can have more than one swap partition.

Jerry mate, if you've been using linux for a while, then go for RH. Otherwise, i suggest something less hazardous ๐Ÿ˜‰ Like ubuntu for example. But if you're hardcore, then don't even think about RH. go for gentoo. Be prepared to waste a few hours of your life to make it work though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Thank you desijays! I could install RH successfully and this post comes directly from linux ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am not a hardcore linux user. I installed RH because my hard disk had enough disk space ๐Ÿ˜•

Cheers,

Jerry
  • desijays
    desijays
    Jerry
    Thank you desijays! I could install RH successfully and this post comes directly from linux ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am not a hardcore linux user. I installed RH because my hard disk had enough disk space ๐Ÿ˜•

Cheers,

Jerry
    stick with it for a week, and slowly refrain from using the GUI and start using the terminal. After that you'll never have the heart to go back to windows.

Have you heard of the phrase "poetry in motion"? Well, linux is kinda like "poetry in programming" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Peace

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am curious to know about the difference between FAT & NTFS hard drives. What are the advantages & disadvantages of using FAT/NTFS? Jerry
Hi, Microsoft has launched Zune and they are ready to take on iPod. But iPod has been around for some time and is the big daddy of all music players....
hiiiiiiiiiii CEans wat do u think abt "vivah" lets share.............................................................................
want to see movies in net hi crazies Here is a enjoying websites for you ..you can watch out movies here ...... see and enjoy "www.bulbule.com"โ€‹
Wat u future Engineers think abt todays ๐Ÿ˜‰ POLITICAL????:?: Is that you are satisfied with the thing done by politicians???๐Ÿ˜’ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜” Are you expecting anything more from their side????...