Padma Vibhushan Prof. Yash Pal is no more

Padma Vibhushan Prof. Yash Pal, eminent scientist and academician is no more. The science and technology fraternity in India has had two shocks in the last two days. First it was the sad demise of space scientist and ex-ISRO chief UR Rao and second, passing away of Prof. Yash Pal. Prof. Pal breathed his last at his Noida residence late night yesterday. He was 90 and a lung cancer survivor.

Many of you who grew up in the 90s may know Prof. Yash Pal through his regular appearance on Doordarshan's 'Turning Point'. He also answered questions asked by readers of The Tribune through his regular column in the newspaper.

Prof-Yash-Pal-No-More
Image Credit: Wikipedia​

Prof. Pal was born in 1926 in Jhang (now in Pakistan). He graduated in 1949 with a degree in Physics and went on to get a PhD in Physics from MIT in 1958. He began his career with Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Mumbai and served there till 1983. Afterwards, he served as the chairman of the University Grants Commission from 1986 - 1991. Prof. Pal was awarded with Kalinga Prize by UNESCO for his contribution towards popularizing science among masses.

You will be missed, sir. RIP.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Padma Vibhushan Prof. Yash Pal, eminent scientist and academician is no more. The science and technology fraternity in India has had two shocks in the last two days. First it was the sad demise of space scientist and ex-ISRO chief UR Rao and second, passing away of Prof. Yash Pal.
    It is indeed sad. I knew both of them. Even Worked with Prof.Yash Pal when he was Secretary, DST between 1984-86. A fine person,who would brook no nonsense.

Both will be missed.

As H.W.Logfellow said:
    Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.

These two did.
    Requiescat In Pace.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Home spawned YU Televentures, a joint venture between Cyanogen Inc and Micromax Informatics Limited has unveiled a new device dubbed Yu Yunique 2. The device would retail exclusively via Flipkart...
HMD Global has been in the news for a very long time now. It is expected to launch Nokia 8 on July 31. It is also rumoured to be working...
Gionee A1 Plus from it's native environment China has relocated to Indian consumer electronics market to set a greater deal of business and services. Today, one of the MWC 2017...
At present i own the following vehicles: honda activa 3g hero splendor i-smart suzuki swish 150. well i have noticed, that none of these machines have their fuel indicators working...
As announced in the press invites sent to all subscribers, Motorola has recently unleashed its trump card, the Moto Z2 Force in the United States. Including a full set of...