Ownership Review: Honda CB Hornet 160R, First Impressions

Honda has finally arrived with Hornet in Sporty+Commuter segment to fight with FZ and Gixxer. Honda is already proved itself a giant in two wheeler market, with three product Unicorn, Shine and Active series.
I have driven several bikes Heo 'Honda' Hunk, Apache RTR 160/180, Hero Galmour and Bajaj Pulsur 220. I am not technical about engine, transmission and other tech stuffs about bike.
This review is totally from a view of a city commuter and occasional rider. Let see if new Honda CB Hornet 160R suites you.

Red

DSC_5960
Engine
: 163cc @5.6bhp at 8500rpm and a max torque of 14.76Nm - Enough for any commuter with easy and occasional fast riding. You can easily touch 100 speed mark without shaking like tuning fork😉.
Engine is super smooth like butter. At speed of 40-70, I don't feel any vibration.
DSC_5975-2

DSC_5957

Mileage
: Thanks to HET (Honda Eco Technology), compilant to Bharat Stage IV emission compliant. Honda is saying it can give 60Kmpl. But I think a 50 mark would be enough in city from a >150cc bike.

DSC_5922
Breaks: Hornet comes in two variant
  1. CB - Combi break version with dual disc break ( 276mm + 230mm)
  2. Standard - Only front disc break
I have CB version with big disk breaks and breaks works as usual right on the spot. No issue with it.

DSC_5943
(Helmet was was ordered but not arrived before, we took this picture.)​

Handling and comfort:
In other thread I said that Hunk is one of the most stable bike I have used. Hornet is able to live with the expectation. I am not feeling any less discomfort than Hunk. With wide sitting, high sitting posture and fat tyre, I like the ride.
This is quite a cross between height of Hunk, fat tyre (140mm) like FZ and Gixxer.
Sitting position is not perfect like Hunk but enough comfortable. It just the matter of getting used to. Pillion seat is wide with is not available in such design of bike like in Gixxer.

DSC_5958

Styling:
In single line, You know you are riding a handsome bike when other biker look back and admire your bike.
With Aggressive tank and headlamp, Awesome tail light and beautiful designed wheels, makes Hornet, one of the best looking bike in segment.
DSC_5982

Price:
CB version INR. 84,000-86,000 , INR. ~96,000 on road price. A little overpriced.
For Standard version INR. 91, 000/- on road.

Positive:
  • Super smooth engine
  • Great handling and pillion seat
  • Fat tyre with great mileage
  • Styling , better than FZ but some like Gixxer more than Hornet
Turn offs:
  • Not very fast in starting. It is not going to launch like RTR 180.
  • Engine kill switch and Kick only works on Neutral position
  • Not agile as RTR series and Gixxer (As reviewers and owner suggested)
  • Some people on xBHP complaining about cold start issue. But I didn't faced yet.
Why I went for CB Hornet 160R. : When I first saw red color Hornet in showroom. I really liked it but the color was making it very big bike. Not for my taste. I was using Hunk and really liked it for comfort and awesome riding. I was looking for Hunk 2016, which got delayed till this March. I took test drive of FZ 2.0 (Not liked because I was feeling like sitting in pit (Sorry FZ users)), Unicorn 160 (Just, not upto the taste.) and Hero Xtreme Sports (Sitting is discomfort and keyhole is really at odd position.)
Then my uncle suggested that he saw this blue color and it looks good and compact too. When I took Hornet test drive. I really liked the drive.
Rest is believing on friends and review suggestion about durable Honda Engine quality.

First impression of bike really great. Rest I can say only after using a year.
Let me know if you have any question. I will try to help.

PS: My bikes color is Pearl Siren Blue 😲, Yeah it looks more like black. But to be honest if you not a show off person. You will like this blue-black color than other colors.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's badass! Curious to know how the bike fares in the mileage department with regular riding. Many thanks for the review and congratulations for your new purchase! 😀
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    That's a wise choice #-Link-Snipped-#. Many Congratulations.

Happy Riding
    Cheers!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Bike is fairly new to check for mileage. I will update the mileage stats after 1st service.

Other note about technology introduction to govt. departments. Yesterday I went for vehicle registration and, by evening I received SMS of application with my bike number. That is quite impressive👍.
    Though I did this process via agent but I am pretty confident that an individual with proper paper can do this process without much of issue. Thanks to introduction online and E-services making the process more transparent.
  • Sai Kumar 1401
    Sai Kumar 1401
    Got this bike on 21-Dec.(Neo Orange)
    Performance wise not satisfied at low-end👎 Top-end it struggles...😉
    Mileage : Am getting 55+😁 before 1st service. Not checked after service.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sai Kumar 1401
    Performance wise not satisfied at low-end
    It's because 1st and 2nd gear speed brackets are narrow. It has to be precise while speeding. But, from gear 3rd it speed up as expected.
    That's the reason even though low end gears are little tricky, 0-60 pickup performance is slightly better than Gixxer.

Yesterday, I drove around 80-90 Km in busiest city traffic of Secudarabad and on open road. Handling in traffic is great and corner driving is just a sweet treat👍
  • mohman
    mohman
    do you face any problems regarding kick start ,does your bike start into first kick whenever you kick start the bike
  • mohman
    mohman
    1)Did you face any problem regarding kick start ?
    2)does your bike start in first kick whenever you kick start the bike
    3)please calculate the bike mileage ,eagerly waiting for your reply
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    2/10 times, it take 2-3 kicks to start in morning. Other than no issue with kick or starting at any time.
    Didn't measured exactly but, it's definitely 50+ right now.

1st bike service is still pending.
  • Sai Kumar 1401
    Sai Kumar 1401
    mohman
    1.I have not faced kick start problem till now as I use choke in the morning.
    2.My bike just starts in one kick and I keep it idle for 1 minute before riding.
    3.I am getting around 55. After filling 22 litres my bike started in reserve mode at 1138kms. I dont know exact reserve fuel capacity of Hornet. Maybe its 1.2 or 1.7ltrs

Yesterday I rode it to 114kmph(as I have finished my first service) on outer ring-road. I have not faced any vibes, bike was smooth even at 114. As I was single on the bike, my bike started to float in air after reaching triple digit. Anyway it was an awesome experience.

Next time I,ll try with pillion and see the peak speed of MY HORNET
  • Sai Kumar 1401
    Sai Kumar 1401
    I am first proud owner of HORNET in Hyderabad😁
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Sai Kumar 1401
    1.I have not faced kick start problem till now as I use choke in the morning.
    Always use Kick in the morning. After that you can use it anytime you want it will help you to last your battery longer.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Harshad Italiya
    Always use Kick in the morning. After that you can use it anytime you want it will help you to last your battery longer.
    Dealer mechanic suggested the same. Till date never used choke. Using kick to start in morning.
    Curious to know if using regular choke will cause any issue to bike?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anoop Kumar
    Curious to know if using regular choke will cause any issue to bike?
    Never to Bike but to battery for sure. For example you did Choke for 4-5 times and not working out then better to not use it any more and check if everything is OK with Kickstart.

Continues choke keeps drawing peak current from battery and eventually you are putting battery in deep discharged condition which may lead damage to it.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Curious to know how the bike fares in the mileage department with regular riding.
    Getting 50+ mileage in city traffic before 1st service. Also, speed variation is rough ranging till 80Kmph.
    I say, this is this pretty great mileage for a 160cc bike.
  • Bhushan53
    Bhushan53
    Anybody facing issues with Reserve? My fuel tank became empty even though, the fuel knob was in ON position 😔
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Bhushan53
    Anybody facing issues with Reserve? My fuel tank became empty even though, the fuel knob was in ON position 😔

Tank actually getting empty or.... just showing no fuel bar. If it is getting empty... its serious issue... you should contact Fealer/Service center and get it fixed in free.
  • sonukr
    sonukr
    I've bad luck with hornet. Please guide me if this si

sonukr
    I've bad luck with hornet. Please guide me if this si
    ...this is normal or not.
    I bought bike last week(blue hornet CBS 160R) and since then every morning it took 15-20 minutes to start. I become all sweaty by then.

One first kick it start and then after few seconds it stop.
    Then i keep kicking it but it doesn't work. Then i pull out choke and resume kicking. This time it start with acceleration automatically going up and down between 2 to 4.
    after few seconds i push the chock in. Just after that bike stops.

I repeat this activity till my bike start. Today it took more time. I think because it's rained yesterday. I called dealer and he said you have to use choke every morning to start. What's the point of using choke on new bike? Second, if i use choke every day wouldn't that decrease mileage by gulping down too much petrol?

Please give me expert guidance here. I"m getting tired with this chores.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Harshad Italiya
    Never to Bike but to battery for sure. For example you did Choke for 4-5 times and not working out then better to not use it any more and check if everything is OK with Kickstart.

Continues choke keeps drawing peak current from battery and eventually you are putting battery in deep discharged condition which may lead damage to it.
    Sir, I am little confusrd here. As fasr as i reaa in my engineering , Choke doesnt have any link to battery. if we apply choke, a butterfly valve like thing opens up more fuel for ignition. thats the role of choke. It doesnt have any issues with battery. Using power start only drains battery if frequently used. please clarify us.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Sir, I am little confusrd here. As fasr as i reaa in my engineering , Choke doesnt have any link to battery. if we apply choke, a butterfly valve like thing opens up more fuel for ignition. thats the role of choke. It doesnt have any issues with battery. Using power start only drains battery if frequently used. please clarify us.
    You are right ! Here choke means Auto Start button !
  • David Eshkol
    David Eshkol
    Hi Anoop Kumar,

Iam David Eshkol and iam a green engineer, Nice to know you are based out of hyderabad, iam from the same town too, i would like to link up with you on phone, can you please ping me on voice or whats app on , cheers. David
  • Ajit2904
    Ajit2904
    Just completed 5000 kms 😀
    Getting 52kmpl mileage, not facing any issues till now.
    Sometimes bike vibrates at higher speed, otherwise handling, brakes everything is up to the mark.
    If you are confused between Hornet, Gixxer, FZ-S, blindly go for Hornet.
    If you want commuter bike, go for CB Unicorn(150), its back, Honda recently relaunched it
  • Jeevanpal Singh
    Jeevanpal Singh
    I Bought Honda hornet 160R in feb 2016. Till first service it's mileage was 60+, After first service mileage is below 50. Is it Issue related to service ?
    Now it meter reading is 2200 and mileage is 43 to 50 . mileage is going down, why ? any one have any Idea ?
  • Vicky R
    Vicky R
    Hi All, I am planning to buy this bike as my first one (might be d only one) post September 2016 from Thane..
    I have been going through many reviews to ensure that I spend on a decent machine. I would appreciate if you all can help me with my doubts...
    1. Many users have complained about oil leakage & loss of acceleration due to the beefy rear tyre,
    2. Engine starts to heat pretty soon even while riding around 40-50 kmph
    3. bike starts to vibrate after crossing 70-80 kmph
    4.some websites suggest to wait as Honda would be upgrading this bike with few tweaks & install Engine kill switch

I thought of buying FZS first, but now I m sort of being in a tug of war between these 2 bikes.
    please advise.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Jeevanpal Singh
    Now it meter reading is 2200 and mileage is 43 to 50 . mileage is going down, why ? any one have any Idea ?
    May be bad engine oil. See the manual pg: 48
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Recommended engine oil is 10w-30.
    If you have recently did your service. Ask them to clean the filter again.
    Everyone on xBHP claiming to have 50+ mileage.
    Vicky R
    1. Many users have complained about oil leakage & loss of acceleration due to the beefy rear tyre,
    2. Engine starts to heat pretty soon even while riding around 40-50 kmph
    3. bike starts to vibrate after crossing 70-80 kmph
    4.some websites suggest to wait as Honda would be upgrading this bike with few tweaks & install Engine kill switch
    1. 1st time heard about oil leakage . Bike has little tricky gear shifting and needs to be used to. High accelerator on low gear feels lack of power. Gear shift on 3.5 -4k works great.
    2. Don't know, Can you tell me how a rider can identify overheating? I will see in my bike.
    3. Upto 80Kmph, bike is rock stable. As per owners >100 Kmph expected vibration is there.
    4. Engine kill switch is rumored since Feb. No idea till date.
  • ranjit007
    ranjit007
    Did the rear disc brake give problem in the cbs version? I am going to buy the cbs version but one of the dealer's sales executive told me that the cbs version is having prblm with the braking which make me confuse. Is that true or just saying as they don't hv the cbs version available at that moment....
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ranjit007
    don't hv the cbs version available at that moment
    This might be sales trick 😀.
    No problem so far. Did he explained, what exactly the problem is ?
    For CBS version you are getting rear disc break with CBS in 5-6K.
  • ranjit007
    ranjit007
    Anoop Kumar
    This might be sales trick 😀.
    No problem so far. Did he explained, what exactly the problem is ?
    For CBS version you are getting rear disc break with CBS in 5-6K.
    They didn't said exactly wht the problem is. But said that as it is cbs, it affect both front and rear brakes. Whtever, i am going for the cbs one. I am in love with it from the first sight and going to have it this week...
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ranjit007
    it affect both front and rear brakes
    that is CBS mean for. If you press rear break it will automatically apply front break to avoid skid.
  • ranjit007
    ranjit007
    Anoop Kumar
    that is CBS mean for. If you press rear break it will automatically apply front break to avoid skid.
    I knw that sir, but they said that if it show problem in the rear, it will also effect the front one... Is it? They are combined no doubt but totally different side, right?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes, they are independent . If you want only to use front, it work as it is.
    I don't know why Showroom guy saying CBS could be issue. I don't find any article/forum complaining about it. If you are thinking CBS could be issue, remove the CBS wire from front tyre and you will get regular double disc bike 😀
  • Choudhary Ankit Tomar
    Choudhary Ankit Tomar
    I have Purchased CBR 250R. I have some Question like---
    --> Their Constant Mileage?
    --> after 2000 km or 1000 km engine piston will be set or not?
    --> Engine Oil (Which company and quality) should i prefer for better performance?
    --> if i attached the modified silencer. So its effect the engine performance ?
    --> Engine Liquid Coolant changing Time?
  • PradeepNMit
    PradeepNMit
    I heard there are engine related issues after first service.... Engine switching off due to carburetor problem...have you faced any issues ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Choudhary Ankit Tomar
    I have Purchased CBR 250R. I have some Question like---
    --> Their Constant Mileage?
    --> after 2000 km or 1000 km engine piston will be set or not?
    --> Engine Oil (Which company and quality) should i prefer for better performance?
    --> if i attached the modified silencer. So its effect the engine performance ?
    --> Engine Liquid Coolant changing Time?
    After 3500 Km and second service completed, Bike is all set. I am still using service center oil. I will change to Motul after next sevice.

PradeepNMit
    I heard there are engine related issues after first service.... Engine switching off due to carburetor problem...have you faced any issues ?
    I didn't faced such problem.
    As far my experience with bike, it's been great. I am not pro or taking care too much.

Two things I follow -
    1. 20+ sec warm-up in morning on idle and little rav.
    2. After quick gearshift of 1st and 2nd, shift over 4K rpm.
    I am running the bike in rain from last weeks. I didn't felt any skid or have to drive too carefully.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    This is an amazing review - detailed and to-the-point! And the follow-up response is SO great. Keep up the good work #-Link-Snipped-# 👍
  • Ramkumarmb
    Ramkumarmb
    Hi I am buying new hornet In my home town ,then I need to bring that into Bengaluru . It would be around 300 K.M . Is it ok to drive 300 K.M after 2 days of buying . Kindly suggest .
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ramkumarmb
    Hi I am buying new hornet In my home town ,then I need to bring that into Bengaluru . It would be around 300 K.M . Is it ok to drive 300 K.M after 2 days of buying . Kindly suggest .
    I am no expert but certainly it is not advisable to ride 300Km before engine break-in period. Main reason is in 300km long ride you will be mostly riding on constant speed and also chance of overheating.
    Here is good article on how to use new bike:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Here are quick points to break-in engine for around 1000km
    • Try to ride in mix of 40-60. On average ~50
    • Don't go for long ride.
    • Avoid stalling of engine, downshift if speed is low.
    • Do occasional rav to 80.
    Main objective of break-in to get engine parts (mostly cylinder) adjusted and wear out to smooth.
    For Hornet with odd distribution of gears, quickly shift to 3rd gear and then up shift after 4-4.5k RPM.
    Overall, Be little gentle (No overcautious) with new bike till 1000Km. Do your first servicing and go for long drive.
  • debasish s padhi
    debasish s padhi
    Hi all.. i have just bought the special edition and the day i have bought its giving me some serious problems..after a stretch of 20+kms the bike is stopping automatcally like it went out of patrol and wil start after 10-15mins idle or when opening the patrol tank gasket and shaking it.. i gave it in the service center but the issue is still there..it is stopping atleast 2-3 times a day/..any one who is facing th esame issue??
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    debasish s padhi
    Hi all.. i have just bought the special edition and the day i have bought its giving me some serious problems..after a stretch of 20+kms the bike is stopping automatcally like it went out of patrol and wil start after 10-15mins idle or when opening the patrol tank gasket and shaking it.. i gave it in the service center but the issue is still there..it is stopping atleast 2-3 times a day/..any one who is facing th esame issue??
    This seems serious issue. Try increasing idle race to 1.5K rpm, see if it work.
    Complain to Contact Us - Honda2wheelersindia.com | Honda , if required.
  • debasish s padhi
    debasish s padhi
    debasish s padhi
    Anoop Kumar
    This seems serious issue. Try increasing idle race to 1.5K rpm, see if it work.
    Complain to Contact Us - Honda2wheelersindia.com | Honda , if required.
    its serious issue and frustrating..i went again again to service center and they told to keep it for two days so that they can check for a long run..lets if if any positive feedback comes .
  • Vignesh Ramachandran
    Vignesh Ramachandran
    Dear sir i bought cb hornet 160 cb. Give me advice to drive my bike to get good mileage and how much rpm & speed shall i want to maintain. And also i want to know the engine seating kms. If i drive fastly from the starting itself is there is any problem for engine in future
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-# See this post.
    Anoop Kumar
    I am no expert but certainly it is not advisable to ride 300Km before engine break-in period. Main reason is in 300km long ride you will be mostly riding on constant speed and also chance of overheating.
    Here is good article on how to use new bike:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Here are quick points to break-in engine for around 1000km
    • Try to ride in mix of 40-60. On average ~50
    • Don't go for long ride.
    • Avoid stalling of engine, downshift if speed is low.
    • Do occasional rav to 80.
    Main objective of break-in to get engine parts (mostly cylinder) adjusted and wear out to smooth.
    For Hornet with odd distribution of gears, quickly shift to 3rd gear and then up shift after 4-4.5k RPM.
    Overall, Be little gentle (No overcautious) with new bike till 1000Km. Do your first servicing and go for long drive.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : The project is regarding the design and finite element analysis of a Spring Plate, which is used in a Thyristor Block. Thyristor is a 4...
I am designing a solar plant and I want to reduce its charging time but I cannot compromise on current, voltage or solar panels. Is there somebody who is a...
If there was one wish that could be fulfilled—what is that wish you would want to get fulfilled ? Of course the answer is expected in the stream of engineering...
Project Abstract / Summary : All peoples have rights to live life without any Fear and we belong from such democracy where System allows us their Help, Is it really...
Using a new theory that predicts how much light is transmitted through a material, MIT scientists have developed a polymer structure that may be useful in designing cheaper materials for...