Our Own Quiz Engine

Hi Friends,
Having all the CEans's talents together, why are we outsourcing the quiz engine to Zoho or someone? Why can't we make our own Quiz Engine and publish? I am planning to work on a new quiz engine and I have just done the groundwork for it. Okay, here are the features I propose. Please do suggest me more and lets make it challenging for me.

Features:
1. Multiple choice single answer (includes True or False, Yes or No, etc.)
2. Multiple choice multiple answers (Like using Check Boxes)
3. Fill in the blanks
4. Detailed Report (Like what? Need suggestions from Admin!)
5. User Management
6. Timed and Untimed Quizzes

Feel free to say your suggestions. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Some more options like:
    1. One Time Security Key
    2. Sending Emails to the Quiz Takers
    3. Auto Save and Close after Time Ends
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have seen some websites which allows you to compete with other players.
    Say there are 100 users online, you can provide them with an option of taking challenge with their selected friends who are online at that moment.

P.S: Good going buddy. ๐Ÿ˜€
    ishutopre
    I have seen some websites which allows you to compete with other players.
    Say there are 100 users online, you can provide them with an option of taking challenge with their selected friends who are online at that moment.

P.S: Good going buddy. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Ishu, the idea is good. You say like an online game. I am starting with a basic online quiz, which computes the score only when the quiz is completed. So, when we take this to the next level, I guess your idea can be implemented. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well it would be great ๐Ÿ˜€ But I guess you should wait until AKD, NION and Eternal thinker launch their wordquiz. We find out their anomalies in say 4-5 days and suggest ways so that your quiz engine can be more effective. ๐Ÿ˜€

Till then your idea looks awesome. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How about reports?

I think we need to generate pretty reports for the test takers. If we integrate the test system with CE Login (we should), it would be nice to let people have a history of their performance. I think we can begin with the basic reports and graphs -

1. Total Attempts
    2. Total Time Spent on each section (if we decide to have sections)
    3. Total corrects, total incorrects

and so on. What say? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    How about reports?

I think we need to generate pretty reports for the test takers. If we integrate the test system with CE Login (we should), it would be nice to let people have a history of their performance. I think we can begin with the basic reports and graphs -

1. Total Attempts
    2. Total Time Spent on each section (if we decide to have sections)
    3. Total corrects, total incorrects

and so on. What say? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Pie charts depicting reports just like ZOHO. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's what we should add to it:

1. Multiple choice
    โ–ช Option to allow candidates to add their own choices
    โ–ช Single Answers
    โ–ช True / False
    โ–ช Fill in the blanks
    โ–ช Descriptive (or essay type questions)

2. Support for multi-media questions like adding images.
    3. Like Zoho, support for multiple question banks (choose questions from them) & multiple evaluators (needed for descriptive answers only.)
    4. Division of test into 4-5 sections.
    5. Negative marking facility
    6. Test performance report (for test taker as well as evaluator)
    5. User Management
    6. Timed and Un-timed Quizzes, also support for taking test on specified time segment or whenever the user wishes.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, it's better to start with a smaller, basic version of the test system first than planning for the final version directly.
    @AKD: I thought of that! But will people manually evaluate the answers given by the users? If so, then no problem. For instant results, I guess it would be better with pre-defined options. ๐Ÿ˜€

I have also an idea to add images, if need with the questions... ๐Ÿ˜€

@Biggie: Total Attempts??? There's only one attempt as such right? Once the exam is over, the results are displayed and the user knows his results na? ๐Ÿ˜› Correct me if I am wrong or you have any better idea. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Manual checking is optional. It will be needed only for descriptive and essay-like answers.
    Preview of the Layout

[โ€‹IMG]โ€‹
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    praveenscience
    Some more options like:
    1. One Time Security Key
    2. Sending Emails to the Quiz Takers
    3. Auto Save and Close after Time Ends
    +1 to Option 3. Much needed ๐Ÿ˜

I think we can finalize on the basic outline features first, and group further features into incremental updates.
    AbraKaDabra
    Manual checking is optional. It will be needed only for descriptive and essay-like answers.
    Yes, but in that case, you won't be able to get the results instantly na? That's what I was thinking of! ๐Ÿ˜”
    eternalthinker
    +1 to Option 3. Much needed ๐Ÿ˜

I think we can finalize on the basic outline features first, and group further features into incremental updates.
    Ha ha!!! Based on Ishu's and others experience only I added this feature, which is not available with Zoho! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yay! CE will have the best online quizzing ever.
    Release 1 Beta: First Home Screen (Without Login)

[โ€‹IMG]โ€‹
    Release 1 Beta: Client Side Form Validation

[โ€‹IMG]โ€‹
    Release 1 Beta: This is the page after logging in by an user.

[โ€‹IMG]โ€‹

@AKD & Biggie: For now I have separated the columns this way. Any other ideas? CEans, if any??? ๐Ÿ˜€

Adding new features like:
    1. Users taking quiz can create quizzes. (To be planned)
    2. Awards for Users.
    3. I18n Support (With Multiple Languages).
    4. Hall of Fame.
    5. Share the Score.
    Have created the project page for the Quiz at my Projects Central Site... You can very well check out the statuses and updates! ๐Ÿ˜€ Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜€
    For those folks, who are concerned about the Project Status, can please look into here... ๐Ÿ˜€

Version 1 Beta Deliverables (As on 26th August 2011, 7:15 PM IST)
    1. Welcome Page
    2. UI for Landing Pages
    3. Database Schema - Partially Completed, Undergoes continuous changes
    4. User Management
    5. User Profile Management
    6. Session Control
    7. Display of Quizzes
    8. Enrol into Quiz (Users have to click on some agree button to opt in)
    9. Protect Quizzes using Password
    10. Evaluate Answers - Single / Multiple - Same Logic
    11. Save answers to Database
    12. Display results to the Quiz Takers (Graphical Form)
    13. Prevent users to retake quizzes
    14. Leader-board or Scoreboard
    15. Impose time-limit on quizzes
    16. Auto-submit at expiry of time
    17. Registration for New Users
    18. Admin Module
    19. Admin Module: Add Quizzes
    20. Admin Module: Add Questions & Answers
    21. Admin Module: Add Question Banks
    22. Admin Module: Get Questions from Question Banks
    23. Admin Module: Edit for Quizzes, Questions, Answers, Question Banks, etc.
    24. Admin Module: User Management
    25. Admin Module: Send Mails
    26. Mail System: Quiz Reminder, Link, Password, etc.

Legend
    Normal - Not yet started
    Italics - Completed

Updates
    Please do comment, if I have left anything! I will be updating this post on a per-day basis. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just in 12 hours, completed 5 tasks! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Just wondering whether this project can become a open source development project? Or will it slow down the development?
    @Biggie: I won't let the project die... ๐Ÿ˜€ Will be making active developments... ๐Ÿ˜

Competing with Zoho is kinda tough I guess... ๐Ÿ˜›

PS: I am doing this in my spare time! When I start developing it in full time basis, I guess it goes well... ๐Ÿ˜ Surely better than the current engines... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Great to know about the updates. Do keep us posted regularly.
    AbraKaDabra
    Great to know about the updates. Do keep us posted regularly.
    Yeah sure... Today was somewhat rapid!!! ๐Ÿ˜› Completed 5 tasks today!!! Yay!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    @Biggie & AKD: Will it be possible for you both to test drive the application, by giving a daily test, to make sure how the server performs and ... blah blah... Beta testing stuff??? ๐Ÿ˜› Possible?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's set it up on a test server and give it a try.
    The_Big_K
    Let's set it up on a test server and give it a try.
    Max tonight I guess I can complete the above said stuff... And Biggie, you personally gimme the deadlines (considering my work pressure also), so that I can maintain the activeness of this project. ๐Ÿ˜€
    @Biggie: The basic functionalities other than admin and mail are over. Shall we test drive it? Finished 15 and 16 tasks too! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Finally with the current model, the quiz engine is hosted at #-Link-Snipped-#.

CEans, please test drive it by registering. ๐Ÿ˜€

First test is at 7:30 PM today! ๐Ÿ˜€ All the best... Very basic ones, so you can attempt them easily! ๐Ÿ˜›

From Twitter: Finally hosted a demo quiz engine at #-Link-Snipped-#
    Quiz starts at 7.30 PM IST, Duration 15 Mins, 10 Questions. Register soon! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not able to login at the moment. Is it as expected?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    logged in! We can now have questions from all the engineering streams.

Can we send them? What are your plans?
    The_Big_K
    Not able to login at the moment. Is it as expected?
    We all are able to login... What error are you facing? or problem?
    Issue
    logged in! We can now have questions from all the engineering streams.

Can we send them? What are your plans?
    Yeah buddy... Its upto AKD and Biggie to decide... hey, this is just a basic comp sci test... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm getting username/password error. I've created a new account and trying to login with it ๐Ÿ˜
    Guys... I have tested the quiz application... It is working fine... I hope you all shouldn't face any problem... Server status is good and lets see at 7.30! ๐Ÿ˜€
    The_Big_K
    I'm getting username/password error. I've created a new account and trying to login with it ๐Ÿ˜
    Shall I reset your password?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, and let me know the new password through email ๐Ÿ˜€
    The_Big_K
    Yep, and let me know the new password through email ๐Ÿ˜€
    Sent mail as well as PM. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Took the test and scored 70%. Works great! ๐Ÿ˜€
    The_Big_K
    Took the test and scored 70%. Works great! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yay!!! ๐Ÿ˜ Thankz biggie!!! ๐Ÿ˜
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    good job praveen....
    keep it up....
    try to include a time alarm.. which will catch our attention when the time is near to over...
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Instead of alarm, you could implement some timebar or similar, which changes color (like, from green to yellow to orange to red).
    The users will then be able to estimate the time left.

Of course, this might create panic in some people ๐Ÿ˜‰
    So may be it should be optional ๐Ÿ˜
    Something like Banshee Screamer???

Okay, as ET says, I can do one thing, which beeps every minute! At the time of 5 minutes, it beeps every 30 seconds, and at 1 minute, it beeps every 15 seconds. At the time of 0, it submits the answer! ๐Ÿ˜› What say?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just logged in and checked, it's awesome. I can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)

@Praveen: We need more navigation buttons. (For eg: from past test, to front page.)
    AbraKaDabra
    Just logged in and checked, it's awesome. I can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)

@Praveen: We need more navigation buttons. (For eg: from past test, to front page.)
    @AKD: Sure, but we have options of seeing the Past Quizzes, Past Results and Upcoming Quizzes right? What's missing?
    Oh! For the front page, please click on the logo (PT Online Quiz)! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Right now, when I am on Results page, I have to click on the 'PT Online Quiz' logo to go back to home page.
    Instead of that menu bar style buttons to navigate at the top/bottom would be more user-friendly. (Just a suggestion)
    Actually, in the main page also, there you can see,
    Hello Username
    Signed in as #-Link-Snipped-# ~ Edit Profile ~ Logout.
    I forgot to include it in every page! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Praveen-Kumar
    Something like Banshee Screamer???
    Okay, as ET says, I can do one thing, which beeps every minute!
    If you're implementing any time alert, please make sure it doesn't cause much distraction from the actual questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

Once we had an exercise in school. The student is asked to write something (alphabets, numbers) in limited time. When he/she is constantly reminded of the remaining time, the person tends to make more mistakes (Panic effect!).

AbraKaDabra
    I can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)
    Sure Miss.K, I'll start thinking about the color scheme ๐Ÿ˜€
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Praveen bhai, just a few things I noted while going through the current implementation:

* After sign-up, since there wasn't any notification, I thought something went wrong while I entered details.
    So I had to repeat the process. Only later did I think of trying out the login. Do add some kind of notification ๐Ÿ˜€

* This is just a doubt, ignore if not really important: Is the time calculated as server time or user's local time?
    > If it is user time, will the user be able to take the test at other times by changing his clock?
    > If it is server time, will it be properly converted to regional/country time?
    eternalthinker
    Praveen bhai, just a few things I noted while going through the current implementation:

* After sign-up, since there wasn't any notification, I thought something went wrong while I entered details.
    So I had to repeat the process. Only later did I thought of trying out the login. Do add some kind of notification ๐Ÿ˜€
    Sorry man! Didn't think of it! Will do it... ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanx... Actually I was planning to make the registration system AJAXified way, so that once they are registered, they will be instantly logged in. ๐Ÿ˜€ Will update that!

eternalthinker
    * This is just a doubt, ignore if not really important: Is the time calculated as server time or user's local time?
    > If it is user time, will the user be able to take the test at other times by changing his clock?
    > If it is server time, will it be properly converted to regional/country time?
    Calculated as per server time! ๐Ÿ˜ Dude, this is THE REAL IMPORTANT stuff! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think once the coding part is done, we can ask CEan English Scared or CEan- Frooty to test the application before making cosmetic changes. ๐Ÿ˜
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    eternalthinker
    Instead of alarm, you could implement some timebar or similar, which changes color (like, from green to yellow to orange to red).
    The users will then be able to estimate the time left.

Of course, this might create panic in some people ๐Ÿ˜‰
    So may be it should be optional ๐Ÿ˜
    yes.
    time bar will be enough.
    H.Ali
    yes.
    time bar will be enough.
    Thankz... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Here is my opinion.

In the quiz engine we should have a question bank which will serve permutations and combinations of questions to those who want to attempt the test repeatedly.
    You can also change the values in puzzles to maximize the number of questions so that people do not think that the question is repeated.
    Sorry as I cannot be of much technical help. But needless to say, you are doing a superb job Praveen ๐Ÿ‘ Keep up the good work ๐Ÿ˜€

By the way I missed the grand launch of our search engine.
    Ah... Nice idea Issue... Having more than the actual number of questions and shuffling it. Is this what you are saying right? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yup. You got me right. ๐Ÿ˜€

Next idea: Provide users with an option-> Suggest question. โ€‹So that our compilations of questions will get continuously enriched by questions added from our readers ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Praveen, I missed that 7:30 appointment with your quiz engine. How to access it again?
    Guys, the release is getting delayed because of power failure. Only the admin stuff is pending. Everything is done and ready now. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I find it interesting to see big engineering names, aspirants and engineers here. I feel nice to be here in the community.
If dsl technology doesn't require the conversion of analog to digital and digital to analog, then, what is the need of an ADSL modem?
Sorry about the rather bland topic name. So what I am talking about is, I was playing this awesome game called Metro 2033. It's about a post-apocalyptic world and all,...
Hi Ceans , I m interested in Web designing . Can anybody tell me if any online course there for that ?
BATCH : 2011 PASSED OUT ELIGIBILITY : B.E/B.Tech (CSE,IT,EEE,ECE,E&I)MCA - 70 % SALERY : Rs.3.25 Lacs PA 02.09.2011 : WRITTEN TEST 3.9.11&4.9.11 : Communication Skills Evaluation, Technical Interview HR Interview,...