Origin Of The Term "Computer Bug"

Does anybody knows how the term 'Bug' was coined?It is in reference to computers.Understand?I will be requiring some funniest answers.Come on buck up then...

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    See this:

Software Bug

They actually found a dead bug in the vacuum tubes, which jammed the circuits and caused the system to malfunction.
    This was the first recorded event of this kind. From then on, bug came to be used to refer to problems in circuits, and later, to wrong or malfunctioning code in programs..
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    The term 'bug' was first used by Grace Hopper on September 9th, 1945 when a real bug, a moth, short-circuited an early computer on relay number 70 Panel F, of the MARK II Aiken Relay Calculator, in the Harvard University. The operators of the computer said they had "debugged" the computer, and ever since then the terms has not changed.
    This question has spawned a number of urban myths.
    The most widely known is that Captain (later Admiral) Grace Hopper was busy debugging a program that she had written. Finding a moth squashed in her card deck, she quipped "this is the first real computer bug !"
    Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#
    or
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai friends i require the papers in nuclear power engineering topics pls help me friends
help needed!! can anyone suggest me some good topics for my final year project?
Shri ramdeobaba kamla nehru engg. college has arranged a workshop on nano technology tomorrow. IEEE pepople from hyderabad are coming to conduct the workshop. would surely be a fruitful one.
MCFC designed to provide increased Flexibility for Processing with JK Fiber Lasers The recently released Mode Converter Fiber Coupler (MCFC) has been developed to provide further flexibility to users of...
Lets have talks regarding Government and Private Sectors 😀