Operating system

Hii friends,
plzz help me with these questions...
1 - The purpose of having an instruction format with 2 registers for one operand is:
a- To allow one register to be on the stack
b- To use one as a base and the other as an index
c- To extend the page size
d- To enhance virtualization
e- To prevent disturbing the stack

2 - List the four atomic operations in switching from kernel mode to user mode. Be sure to give the proper settings of ON and OFF values for a switch in the stated direction.
Set IC, privilege mode off, protection on, interrupts off

3 - Why does an O/S store the user's registers and/or stack values in low memory?
a- Because it doesn't need a register to access the memory
b- Because those locations are reserved for that purpose
c- Because that's where the user expects them to be
d- Because it's faster

4 - A traditional TLB contains :
a- Recently referenced page #s and frame #s for all processes
b- Recently referenced page #s and frame #s for only the current process
c- All page #s and frame #s for the current process
d- All page #s and frame #s for all active processes

5 - Given: a 24-bit-maximum memory address size, with 12 of those bits used for a displacement (page offset) to the byte in the page, what is the maximum number of page frames possible on such a machine?
a- 211
b- 212
c- 223
d- 224

6 - Linux manages scheduling of tasks by using:
a- 140 bitmaps and a single priority queue
b- 1 bitmap and 140 priority queues
c- 2 bitmaps and 140 priority queues
d- 140 bitmaps and 2 priority queues

7 - (10) You are the system manager for DJF systems and you have noticed that when running process X, the CPU is in a 2-instruction loop at REAL address 17,000 (decimal) and REAL address 40,000 (back and forth from one to the other). Given a machine with page-size = frame-size = 4096, use the data below to help you translate these 2 real addresses to virtual addresses (i.e.; address offsets within the process), so you can examine a memory dump of the object module for performance analysis. Remember: Frame #'s & page #’s start at 0.
Page # Virtual address Frame # Real address range
0 v0-4095 4 16384-20479
1 v4096-8191 7 28672-32767
2 v8192-12287 9 36864-40959
3 v12288-16383 2 8192-12287

The translated addresses (the addresses in the looping program module) are:

8 - Describe the advantages of having multiple state vectors (one per interrupt TYPE). List the TYPES we saw when we discussed the z/390.

9 - Describe what must happen when an interrupt occurs in ANY machine, in order for the O/S to handle the interrupt properly.

10 -What is "Optimal Page Replacement" and why can it not be used effectively with interactive programs?

11 -Describe the paravirtualization concept (hint: Xen is one such implementation).

12 - VMware provides a mechanism for migrating a running OS from one physical machine to another WHILE the OS and its application are RUNNING. List some of the problems in making this possible. List some limitations.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @karthik: That is a good set of questions. Do you want us to give you all the answers here?
  • karthik5591
    karthik5591
    AbraKaDabra
    @karthik: That is a good set of questions. Do you want us to give you all the answers here?
    yaa dude...i need your help for those questions...
    i have a huge set of questions...i have few here...plzz help me out...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How to download swings plugins for My Eclipse ......? After downloading How to integrate with My Eclipse ..? please help me any one...................
Very Funny.Check this out CEans.Some news channels broadcast the news about the whole day that a school boy had recorded the video in which he accidentally catches a space alien...
Is there a process of metal purification from ore by thermal reduction using aluminum as the reducing agent? Just like coal is used to reduce iron from ore, is it...
For those who haven't seen the movie, here's the message that the movie gives via an interesting story and plot - Chase Excellence, Success Will Follow. Storyline in short: The...
Above question was asked to fashion show finalists at an engineering college that I attended yesterday. Without fail, about 70% candidates answered that, "Even if we don't have good marks...