Open Circuit Remotely

Hi All,

I am working on one project need your help.

let me make it simple. since, you may not be interested in long story.

I have a circuit its working fine no issues but i want to OPEN this circuit remotely to stop the flow of current. no more current no more work.

what i will do, i will cut the wire and put Magnet in b/w the connection. so, in normal condition circuit is closed North South pole will make connection.

Now, For Ssecurity reasons, I want to open circuit REMOTELY !!! i just want this magnetic connection to break.
please tell me how is this possible and what best range we can have to achieve the result.

Thanks

Replies

• d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Fawwad,

Me not getting this Please Explain it to me.....
    Just put a diagram of your circuit for better understanding.......

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    Hi Vipul,

sorry dont have any electonics s/w on laptop at the moment.

but it is quite simple. let me come again.

its a vehicle battery and Ignition circuitry. circuit is complete, i am delibrately cutting the wire and putting magnet in b/w the connection.
    when magnets come in contact circuit will complete again.

Now here we have to play a game...

I want to OPEN this Close Circuit by means of some Remote. so, i just want this magnet connection to disjoin or gets open. so, no more current flow and no one can Ignition ON the vehicle.

I had one idea of using some Strong Electromagnet to pull one magnet and OPEN the circuit but how can i energize Electromagnet : ( by Remote

any other idea ?
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey FAWWAD,

Thanks for explaining........

Instead of using electromagnets go for BJT/FET (TRANSISTORS) circuitary......
    Where you need not to charge any electromagnet...........

You want to make it wireless or with wire????

ANS THIS SUCH THAT I WILL HELP YOU ACCORDINGLY.........

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    thanks for your response. Buddy, i want this to work Wirelessly.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey fawwad,
    give me 2-3 days i will try to help you out........

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you go and use magnets in the ignition system , then the magnet at the other end may connect to some other part of the vehicle and complete the circuit correct?

Use an electronic circuit as Vipul said!
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    well in case of magnet, we will do it with all precautions but i think Transistor would play better here.

waiting for Vipul idea, how can we start the circuit remotely.
    we can use Transistor as a switch but what about other concerns and voltage levels.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    So if you want to use some circuit for it! Then will you be able to post the circuit here?

Since we can use the Diode , Transistor and Thyristor(best) for making the switch circuit. Even if you couldn't give the circuit give the max voltage and the values of the circuit parameters.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I think what he is talking about is something which uses high voltage, I think(I haven't worked with car ignition systems to an extent that I can comment on that 😉 )
    But from what I think, you can use an opto-coupler arrangement along with a remote sensor. The optocoupler can activate a relay which can switch in the high power required for ignition. The opto-coupler can assure the safety of the remote receiver system(sensor). A simple transistor will also work instead, if the power requirement is low. Are you planning for a driver-less vehicle? The sensor has a separate battery supply (It has to be ON every time to sense the remote signal).
    The idea is such.
    The remote transistor will let out a signal which would be received by the sensor. It would produce a current which can be used to activate the relay through the opto coupler or the transistor. Either ways, the transistor or the relay will act as a switch here for your system. Hope this helps. 😀
    If this doesn't help, please give your power requirements and circuit parameters, we will help you.
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    excellent, appreciate your comments.

Well i am looking for Vehicle Immobilizer
    I want to make a circuit tht will be operate by a diver. once snatcher snatch vehicle and try to run away.
    Driver can simply press a button and Ignition Circuit should be OPEN circuit so, no more current no more vehicle movement...

I never work with Automobile circuitry before 😀 but i read
    The ignition circuit is actually made of two separate circuits which work together to cause the electric spark at the spark plugs. These two circuits are the PRIMARY and SECONDARY. The primary circuit of the ignition circuit includes all of the components and wiring operating on lowvoltage (battery or alternator voltage). Wiring in the primary circuit uses conventional wire, similar to the wire used in other electrical circuits on the vehicle.
    The secondary circuit of the ignition circuit is the high voltage section.so, we will work with Primary circuit, low voltage one.

The key part is to place our circuit between the Primary circuit wiring and use switch on and off to make circuit complete and open respectively.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Yes fawwad. No one will mess with the secondary system, I suppose (its always more than 1000 volts). So, all we can do is something in the primary. Now, along with it, do one more thing. You can also use a brake locker, which will activate something parallel to a handbrake(You don't want the car nappers to roll it away, do you?). Make it in such a way that once it is locked, it cannot be deactivated without the remote(I am sounding silly). What I meant is that, we make it such that you cannot mechanically deactivate it. If not all these, you can also have a de-contactor at the battery side. The battery would be switched into another circuit which will supply only these requirements.
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    @ Ajit

Initially i just want a circuit that will opeate via Remote.
    Remote Function : just open circuit and close circuit.
    now second what will be a circuit design i mean component and their connection.
    give me some idea, i will try to download some workbench software to simulate. its long time to be away with electronics.
    did in university days 😀

Transistor, Relay or what ??
    I may sound a vague or incomplete in my explanation since, i just got this idea yesterday and i have to study about this system myself a bi tmore haha

thanks alot for your comments and help
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    To be frank, I am not specialized to comment on this, but as you have asked me about this, I would say that you would need the following things essentially.
    For remote, you need a radio transmitter, push button switches, battery and supporting equipments.
    For the control circuit, you need a receiver, and a component which can be activated by the signals we get from the receiver. The switch can be a transistor, thyristor or even a relay.
    To know more about these parts, you have to Google it. They are nothing but switches, which are turned on or off using signals. The transistor is an electronic switch, the thyristor is a power electronic switch and a relay is an electrical switch. Find out what all are the parameters you have to face, viz., voltage and current of above said primary side. I believe for this use, you may have to use a thyristor or a relay. You would also need another battery source for this circuit. Make it separate.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Wonderful AJ , I recently read about opto-Coupler circuit and working on it for giving some information to Goyal!
    It would be good if you also put your thoughts in that thread!

So as per the above discussion I think there is no need of relay in secondary , (my guess) since we are inserting a switch which is not already there the secondary must be well secured from the power which comes from primary!

So , my best idea would be go with the thyristor circuit and remote access can also be done for that a bit easily!
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    thanks again.

yes, i am thinking to visit some Automobile person to sure about voltage and other stuff.
    so, we may get good idea regarding automobile circuitry.

I work with relay in past but never with Thyristor. I will look for Thyristor.
    as far separate battery concern so, you are right.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    @fawwad, here you are not even going to need a thyristor. Even a transistor can serve the purpose! The circuit can be made for 3volts to 12 volts, depending on the relay you are going to use.
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    Please refer to Circuit below
    [​IMG]
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    Ok, now here we have to play on RED wire from Battery +ve end to Ignition Switch.
    Battery is giving 12V to Ignition switch. so, our circuit will have to provide 12V as output to Ignition switch.

What if we keep our circuit complete in normal condition. It will go OPEN CIRCUIT when we press button on our remote and complete again on next button. or any other idea
    now tell me how we can do this , what we should use here (Transistor, Thristor, Relay etc )
    any circuit in your mind , how to place these component together ?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Okay, here is my thought about it, but let me warn you, I am not an electronic guru.
    Somewhere just between the primary resistor and coil,after the junction shown in the diagram, we can cut the wire and place a relay there. The relay must have its connector part(switch part) rated 12 volts and the coil may be of some lower voltage according to our needs(lets keep it 3 volts). Keep in mind that the relay contacts has nothing to do electrically with the energizing coil. Something of the same fashion can be connected at the battery side too.
    Now about the relay's energizing coil side. You don't need a transistor for the basic function. Just connect it directly to the receiver. But you may need some transistors or some other components for impedance matching. This is for the ignition part. Anything else? 😁
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    @ Ajit, dude i dont want to play b/w coil and resistor haha
    Reason : This coil works like a transformer STEP UP 12volts to 20,000+ volts
    so, i want to place our circuit b/w +ve Lead of Battery and 3rd Connection of Ignition Switch.

now tell me how to go with it.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Ah-hem. For your knowledge, let me say that the 12V side will only give out a 12V supply, may be less. But certainly not 20,000V. There is a separate port for that. Also, if you don't supply the 12V, you don't get the shock.
    It would be advisable to use in either only at the coil side or at both the coil and battery side. Don't worry friend. Do it with insulation if you think you may get a shock.
    P.S.- Place it at both sides, the circuit is cheap, make two circuits.
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    ok fine. what about Remote NOW !!!

how can i use remote to give input to RELAY ?

I want to use remote having range atleast 50 to 80 meters. how can i use remote to activate Relay
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    You can use a radio transmitter of some particular frequency for this purpose. There should be a receiver at the relay side. On receipt of the signal, we get an opened relay. Its that simple. Just Google a bit for circuit diagrams for remote sensors and controllers. You will get them, I assure you that.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    This Project REMOTE CONTROLLED SWITCH BOARD is used to switch on/off the Home Appliances by using a standard Remote control. The system is used to switch on/off upto six electrical devices. All the above processes are controlled by the 8 bit Microcontroller AT89C52. The Microcontroller receives the Infrared Signal from the receiver and it decodes and switch on/off the appropriate Device. The Range of the system is unto 10 meters. The project can switch on/off electrical devices of maximum load current of 5Amperes. High power loads can also be connected by changing the Relay. The conditions of the devices are stored in the EEPROM IC. And the devices will come to the original state after the power failure.The Microcontroller is used receive the Infrared signal from the Transmitter, the received signal is processed by the Microcontroller and according to the signal the corresponding device is switched On/off. Any RC5 remote control can be used to control this circuit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For more info you can check Free Microcontroller Projects - 8051-AVR-PIC | Free Microcontroller Projects - 8051-AVR-PIC
    This is also my website.......

Check out these circuits........
    These circuits are same as your one.....
    Here you can control more than 1 circuit......

So do what you want.....
    Me going to JAPAN will come after 3 days after that I will reply to your further queries........
    Sorry for inconvenience.......

Regards
    Vipul
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey Fawwad,

Hope this helps you.....

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear Vipul,
    Nice contribution, but let me ask you, do we need all this to control just one or two relays which have to work on the same signal?
  • fawwad
    fawwad
    @ Vipul : Bravo dude , great job

but this is lot more then our requirement and one more important point is range.
    we need Radio controller instead of IR remote control.
    since, we need a bit long range around 100 meters.

a very basic radio-controlled switch, just a single channel. No data or anything...just push a button on one end and detect it at the other end.
    please give me any link or any circuit for it.
    I try myself but didnt findout in last an hour.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    For simplicity of use, you can just get a 315/433 MHz wireless keyfob with a matching receiver. There are some available with other 100m range. There are some receivers that can adapt to the transmitter, such as:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

At least with the above, you don't need to spend time on coding.

HOWEVER, since this is quite a critical component of the car, the above is only useful for testing. For real life implementation, don't get any basic radio transmitter without encryption. Or else others can easily immobilize your car, or even get immobilized by random radio interference.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey , Me looking for an idea to reduce electricity theft....... As in our country it is more...... Me working on some ideas....... If you have any idea reply to...
Hey , If you know please tell me how the boiler is constructed???? with materials used...... Regards, VIPUL
....or neither? See this video. A rather funny take on the topic. [video=youtube;oObrV0qDvGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObrV0qDvGE[/video] But seriously, let your opinions flow in..
At CE, we talk a lot about engineering. In fact we talk only about engineering. If you were asked by someone a question such as: “What's it like being an...
hii to all i`m final year student i`m working in my project which is about wireless electricity there are some difficults i`ve been through my searching i want to know...