Only 'Entertainment' Has Shifted To Mobiles, 'Real Business' Happens On Desktops

In my opinion, computers were mostly used for two main purposes: 'Entertainment' and 'Real Business'. Entertainment had everything - from games, movies, videos, photos to music et al. 'Real Business' is something that made all of the entertainment, worksheets, documents, image/video editing, graphics et al possible. I've been hearing people that we're in the post-PC era and the mainstream computing has shifted to mobiles and tablets.

I believe that only the entertainment part of the entire computing experience has shifted to mobiles and tablets, but the real stuff will continue to happen on desktops and laptops at least for the next decade (~2025). I can't imagine developers or professional graphics makers using tablets and mobiles to do the backend engineering anytime soon. Yeah - they may develop for the smaller devices; but the main workstations are going to be the big screen desktops.

Do you agree with me?

Or do you think that desktops will die soon and we all will be using mobiles and laptops only for all things computing?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do you agree with me?
    Or do you think that desktops will die soon and we all will be using mobiles and laptops only for all things computing?
    (Rather morbidly)They may die with me perhaps.
    Doubt it though. Main frames are still around. Serious work will still require desk tops. Without a large screen serious CAD Cam, modelling or engineering/science work will be well nigh impossible. At least we oldies will still swear by (and at, when they misbehave) work stations.

Vote for Desk tops
  • Joy Gracia
    Joy Gracia
    my vote is always for desktops....
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hard to say. There seems to be a diverging trend between desktop chassis and the monitors/screens. The desktop casings themselves are decreasing in size over time, whilst larger screens are more accessible and affordable for use in entertainment and productivity uses.

In the future, most likely computing component (i.e CPU/processing) would miniaturize and be more mobile, while having options to connect to multiple types of outputs (e.g large screens, projectors, holographic displays).
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Problem with laptop and tablets , components are irreplaceable or too much inter-dependent. No screen/processor upgrade, 0% chances to add new hardware component.
    We can upgrade 3 year old desktop to newest graphics card it will able to run latest software.
    In 2-3 years almost all laptops/tablet become obsolete to garbage for what they have been purchased.
    Still touch/stylus/gesture can't even stand with a good precision gaming mouse for long (5-8) hour work.
    It hard to say, if mobile devices able to replace faithful desktop. I think people are looking for well synchronized devices, to have mobile devices handy, while doing actual and work on desktop.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I am still using desktop! and our office uses mainframes as well. So I think they have time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i have read the services of os but just wanted to know when a process runs,what are the services related to it,for instance when i open my services dialoge,i saw...
.what is the difference between the memory in the phone and the memory in the computer,i.e. if how is memory made in mobile phones and how is it made in...
Which of the followings are equal things when there is only one CPU in a system. A)Multiprogramming and Multitasking B)Multiprocessing and Multiprogramming C)Multitasking and Multiprocessing D)None of these plz explain...
what is the major difference in operating system of windows architecture and linux operatins system architecture and does'nt window has kernel??? I also wanted to know the need of kernel...
XOLO does it again by bringing one of the latest features in an Android smartphone at an affordable price in India. Launched today, the XOLO Q2100 features fingerprint sensor that...