• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Me too. But what sort of it? @Manish great initiative ๐Ÿ‘
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Count me in final game! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    Will biggie give us permission to play chess here?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Reya
    Will biggie give us permission to play chess here?
    I guess interested CS people can develop an online Game that can be played like the vocabulary game developed a few days ago. Is it possible? What say?

How about it Manish?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Wow! And I know we have really Great Chess players on CE!
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Sada
    Wow! And I know we have really Great Chess players on CE!
    Thank You Sada. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Computer, IT guys start brainstorming that how can we make such application and is it possible to integrate it with CE?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I used to play chess online in Facebook! It was nice. Can we integrate that kind of application with CE?
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    There are websites like QueenAlice.com and GameKnot, so if CS guys dnt have time then we can go over there for small tournament as well.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks for this kind of response

In my office we used to play chess via team viewer

Here we can create a session and allow as many audience to watch the game

What say ? Is the solution feasible?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    So far 6 participants
    Cool ๐Ÿ˜€

Waiting for biggie's response , I hope he won't mind to be part of this
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Teamviewer is also good idea if other CEans wants to see the match.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am in as the audience! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Its always nice to see great minds play.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    i m in for sure............... lets have some tough competition here......๐Ÿ˜›
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    If everything is ready and we're going to execute such tournament then i've an idea. I'll start one separate thread for it. Let's get final confirmation and also confirmation that how we are going to play. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • jgeorge
    jgeorge
    me too.. i'm in for sure..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Wow I had never thought i would ever get a chance to compete with world ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks to CE
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm in!! Let's see how we can accomplish this..

Btw, how bandwidth intensive is this teamviewer solution?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Well not sure about this

But we had tried this with 10 people at one time,

I am sure , it should work with more
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @Manish: I am not sure what are you planning. But Skype can be a good thing to play at a time, I think. Team viewer makes computer very slow.
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    count me in too!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ long time since i played but yeah love to start playing! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes, Team Viewer is slower and its not comfortable for Chess . Let's find some another app which we can use.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I think we should first decide the format of the tournament.
    Is it going to be realtime or correspondence?
    Considering that CE is a global forum, I think correspondence should suit well.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    simplycoder
    I think we should first decide the format of the tournament.
    Is it going to be realtime or correspondence?
    Considering that CE is a global forum, I think correspondence should suit well.
    i've planned something need some CEans help to finalise everything. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    godfather
    i've planned something need some CEans help to finalise everything. ๐Ÿ˜€
    which kind of help???
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    First we've to decide that how we are going to play via teamviewer or anything else and help in the manner of deciding game rules and rounds. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    TeamViewer wont fit the requirements at all for the following reasons:
    * if someone has a bigger screen 22" or more or has using a higher resolution(hdmi) the bandwidth will get choked.
    * there will be frequent disconnections for someone on an unstable link. That would be irritating, connecting again and again. How do you monitor the activities at the end where the game is being hosted?

rather one could use something like Yahoo Chess where there is a scoring system, audience watching and other features. Else get a similar thing and use it embedded on CE.
    Just a suggestion, waiting to see what other good ideas people have got here ๐Ÿ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i'm in ๐Ÿ˜€ but i'm not good at it ๐Ÿ˜› so i'll play for the fun of it ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like I am the only one viewer in here. Rest everyone is playing.
    I guess we will have to do it over one week time. Like one (or two) matches every day.
    And then semi-finals & then finals. ๐Ÿ˜
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    In chess tournaments, there are many types, but more often are swiss and knockout matches and round robin.
    Knock out is not preferable as if the games are draw, in real time tournaments, there are tie-breakers if form of sudden death (less time on clock and no increment).But then we cannot make provision for that in correspondence games.

Swiss is like all players will play all rounds but only thing is they would play opponent who has scored equal to them. Say there are 4 players.
    A,B,C,D. At start, all have 0 points each so anyone of them can be paired to play with each other.
    Consider A-B and C-D play their first match and A and C won. In next round, A-C would be paired and B-D. Also no two players would play each other more than once in this format of tournament. This is most widely accepted format for chess tournaments.

Third is all play all or its called as round-robin: Its simple, all would play all and depending on net scores, winners would be there. To make things equal, this can also be modified so that players play each other twice(one with white and other with black) so that their is no dispute on colors.
    I advocate this as its best format with equal chances.

I also suggest that tournament should be correspondent one as CE is a global forum, we cannot find same time slot for every one.
    Finally we need to have a tournament director, one who has deep knowledge and experience in chess and ensure that tournament would progress smoothly.

Just a suggesstion.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I strongly agree with simplycoder. So who's ready for role of Chess Master? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yahoo Chess seems to be good.

We can create private games and invite players with their Google, Yahoo or facebook Ids.

Btw, what exactly is the role of this tournament director? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    silverscorpion
    Yahoo Chess seems to be good.

We can create private games and invite players with their Google, Yahoo or facebook Ids.

Btw, what exactly is the role of this tournament director? ๐Ÿ˜€
    They have to monitor the game. ๐Ÿ˜‰ So we get first applicant for chess director ๐Ÿ˜€
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @Silverscorpion: A chess director would be some one who is able to handle disputes on board and has good knowledge in theoritical aspect of chess.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    i may be the event handler. an 8 year experience may count. ๐Ÿ˜›
    i guess the format should be on swiss rounds only, since for round robin, number of matches would be a lot. if there are less applicants, then its ok.
    and we may play chess on ce only, maybe if conference get opened. so all may be able to watch that also. moves will be according to the notations used.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    On experince basis, I am playing chess competitively for about 11 years now. But I am out of practice now.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    that's wonderful. The event will be high on fire.... ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Okay. Lots of discussion here. If not converted to actions, this can go on forever.
    @simplycoder: Why don't you take the lead? Set the format. Everyone will follow.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    Okay. Lots of discussion here. If not converted to actions, this can go on forever.
    @simplycoder: Why don't you take the lead? Set the format. Everyone will follow.
    @simplycoder: Please go ahead. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    I will be gald to do that.

Now we should decide the format of the game and date of commencement.
    Next is we should decide where we would play and whether it would be a correspondence or not.(I think it should be correspondence in double round robin format. The only issue is I think it can take a lot of time to complete the game and may even require 2-4 months to complete).
    If players want to speed up, they can mutually decide and play more moves per day. I think the best would be 1move per day. This is because most of the CE members log in atleast once a day.

Now I am unaware whether CS guys are developing some application or not. There are plenty of websites like queenalice.com where in we can just register for free and play. If its fine with CE members, then I have no problems.

Once I get a reply, I would then post few rules which would help in making tournament smoother.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Guys what's there for so much discussion here?

Let us make two teams group a and group b like in a cricket match , and have matches between them

and as far as game platform is concerned then i guess yahoo is also a good option , if team viewer is not suitable or it will be a good idea , if any one can find some application in which we can also resume game even if connection breaks suddenly, for that also again yahoo is a good option

For now i guess this format is fine, if this event gets successful , then we can think bigger

Any issues?????
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Is there a way of integrating chess-playing environment with CE?
    If this can be worked upon in a week or so, we can be right here and play the game.
    We can have CE-Conference opened during the Chess Tournament time.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @AKD and CS guys: The design of the envoirnment could be something which allows to play chess on correspondence basis.
    Player A moves, then an email would be sent to the opponent Player B. If player B doesnt make his move within alloted time then he is declared lost.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Can't we make it real time? Both players coming online at the same pre-determined time and playing?

Correspondence is fine, but it will take a really lot of time. If it's too difficult, then we have no other option but to go for correspondence..
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    silverscorpion
    Can't we make it real time? Both players coming online at the same pre-determined time and playing?

Correspondence is fine, but it will take a really lot of time. If it's too difficult, then we have no other option but to go for correspondence..
    I think it's too difficult to develop it in real time...
    what do you say #-Link-Snipped-#..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    AbraKaDabra
    Is there a way of integrating chess-playing environment with CE?
    If this can be worked upon in a week or so, we can be right here and play the game.
    We can have CE-Conference opened during the Chess Tournament time.
    Sorry AKD , integrating chess game with ce won't be a easy job , for this we need to have complete understanding of current software ce is based upon. I remember one of my college mates had worked on this type of project , but it was .net based , so we can't use that also , not sure if some thing is available on internet

@simplycoder :- This is not a good way , we will loose all the fun in this type

Ok To remove all the confusion why not have a match today between me and any cean, may be god father using team viewer or Yahoo

what say?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    goyal420
    Sorry AKD , integrating chess game with ce won't be a easy job , for this we need to have complete understanding of current software ce is based upon. I remember one of my college mates had worked on this type of project , but it was .net based , so we can't use that also , not sure if some thing is available on internet

@simplycoder :- This is not a good way , we will loose all the fun in this type

Ok To remove all the confusion why not have a match today between me and any cean, may be god father using team viewer or Yahoo

what say?
    Okey i will try to play one match with you. ๐Ÿ˜
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    @All: I think we should jot down the participants now on. In next week we can plan how to conduct the tourney, dependent on official number of participants. Wht say?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ok, if it's going to be conducted in the evenings, or during weekends, I'm in.

How is it going to be conducted?
  • Jyothi Jo
    Jyothi Jo
    I'm interested to join.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was out with my friend and we went to this Kirana shop to buy something and there I saw this and I was like :O :O ; then flashback...
Hi everyone, I'm currently working on a college project and some help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. I wish to use an Arduino to control a device (whether that...
Watch this and you will definitely share this video. It shows an act of kindness as its passed from one individual to the next and manages to boomerang back to...
Yes it is true. Scientists from University of Notre Dame have developed a paint which can generate electricity Sun-Believable! Notre Dame Researchers Develop Paint That Generates Electricity!
ENGINEERING QUALITY CONTROL OF SOLAR-POWERED INTELLIGENT WATER-SAVING IRRIGATION (IEEE MARCH 2010)