OnePlus One Banned In India

Looks like the Chinese phone makers are facing tough challenge from the Indian ones - not in the markets; but in the courts. Following the news of banning and unbanning of the Xiaomi phones in India, Delhi HC has ordered a stay on the sale of OnePlus phones in India. However, the court will allow OnePlus to clear the stocks available on Amazon.

The right to sell OnePlus phones in India was challenged by Micromax as it gets ready to launch the YU brand of phones.

I've contacted OnePlus One for an official comment and will update as soon as I hear back from them.

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Ah, that sucks! Not sure exactly who is at fault here, but in my view cyanogen turned out to be bi**h! Why would you sign an "exclusive" deal with Micromax when you know OnePlus One is planning for an Indian launch? The bitter side of patents and copyrights!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Got official response:-

In accordance with a judgement passed by the Delhi High Court, we will no longer be producing the OnePlus One with CyanogenMod to be sold in India.
    We are still fully committed to serving our users in the region and, in light of this decision, are working to find a solution that will allow us to continue operations as soon as possible.
    We regret the inconvenience this causes to OnePlus fans in India who have patiently waited for the opportunity to purchase the One.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I wonder how much is this fiasco going to cost OnePlus One? If only they knew before hand about the deal, or did they? 😎
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    What is exact reason of ban?
    Quite ironic but, Is Micromax innovating something?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pensu
    I wonder how much is this fiasco going to cost OnePlus One? If only they knew before hand about the deal, or did they? 😎
    Not much, I guess. They don't produce phones in bulk and I think they will only have very limited inventory at any point of time. Plus, they've been allowed to clear their current stock available with Amazon India.

Moreover, they're already working on a custom ROM which is expected to be released sometime around Q1 of 2015. Considering the fact that they were already offering their own modifications on Cyanogenmod, their team should be able to pull a custom ROM for Indian markets pretty soon.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    What is exact reason of ban?
    Quite ironic but, Is Micromax innovating something?
    They don't have to. They are playing the patent wars just like Samsung and Apple. But given the popularity and hype that Xiaomi and OnePlus have created, it's very important for Micromax to reinvent itself and that's why they're playing their game with new brand of phones called 'YU'.

Micromax benefits directly from the ban of OnePlus One.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is such disheartening news for thousands of buyers who waited and..waited.. and waited some more for the OnePlus One India launch. Big Meh!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Lets not buy Micromax phones! Damn,.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's funny how people around internet are blaming Micromax for OPO ban in India. If anyone has to be blamed, it's 'Cyanogen Inc.'

Pensu
    Not sure exactly who is at fault here, but in my view cyanogen turned out to be bi**h! Why would you sign an "exclusive" deal with Micromax when you know OnePlus One is planning for an Indian launch? The bitter side of patents and copyrights!
    Because
    HowPastorsGetRich_main

See what patents & copyrights can do! It can make ya'all whining bitch.
    It's not late either; switch side, join Opensource & Copyleft community & use #-Link-Snipped-# license!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's not late either; switch side, join Opensource & Copyleft community & use #-Link-Snipped-# license!
    We actually use one of library in our project which uses WTFPL 😁.

This thread still need to inject what exactly phone got banned?
    If Cyanogenmod now with Micromax, other company can't sell the phone. Did they wrote in agreement, You can't sell phone in India, with OnePlus while manufacturing OnePlus One.
    C'mon, Cyanogenmod, in future they will take down XDA for porting CM builds on other devices. And, they say Google is evil☕
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Remember, Cyanogen Inc. != CyanogenMod.
    Cyanogen is all about business while CM is community driven (non-profit).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Remember, Cyanogen Inc. != CyanogenMod.
    Cyanogen is all about business while CM is community driven (non-profit).
    I thought the cyanogen inc controls every part of cyanogenmod development .

In any case, the users can flash their oneplus phones with the cyanogen os. OnePlus has said that they will still support the phone.
  • Divyaprakash KC
    Divyaprakash KC
    Too bad , for people buying Chinese phones comes with ROMs loaded by manufactures comes with backdoors and malwares

#-Link-Snipped-#

Having the possibility to use Cyanogenmod is much better than the alternative.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is communication revealed between OnePlus and Cyanogen Inc. CEO
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Signature in email: send from my iPad 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: Good news for OnePlus One Fans - the Delhi High Court has lifted the ban on the sale of OnePlus One phones. I just hope that the OnePlus, Cyanogen and Micromax folks kiss and make up.
  • Bhargav P A
    Bhargav P A
    Ahh, finally Ban has been lifted by delhi High Court...Now one plus can sell their phones. But we still dont have exact timeline.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Micromax will announce the much hyped and awaited phone, Micromax Yu tomorrow at Hyatt Regency along with the team from Cyanogenmod team. I got some information about the price of...
This is the first I heard of Kirigami, a Japanese artform similar to Origami. Kirigami involves cutting the material. This study seems to go way beyond an artform and can...
I am planning to make wireless robot that will be controlled by my Android phone. I have done training on Embedded & Robotics but I am not having that kit....
John Deere presents TECHNO-CHAMP – an All India Online Technology Innovation Contest – a unique competition designed with the purpose of creating a common platform for students across the country...
Indian smartphone manufacturer Spice Mobiles wants to attract millions of customers by introducing their new Spice Dream Uno 498H, the world’s first Hindi Android One smartphone. The new smartphone offers...