One suggestion: watchlist

I think it would be better if CEans provided with an option like watch list. To subscribe to all threads of particular section. In this way the CEan can add his favorite section to watch list.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    We have an existing "subscribe to thread" option.. or, are you suggesting something else?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We seriously need a starter kit as soon as possible! Yes, there's a subscribe option. Alternatively, there's RSS feed available.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    with this user cannot subscribe to all threads of particular section.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I saw watch list option in some other forums, where even the discipline is subdivided into the topics.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah.. you mean for example, we have the CE Lab section. So you want a single option to subscribe to ALL threads in that section?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    yes..does it looks like good idea ?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, that option is sadly lacking at the moment. The closest one I can find is subscribing to a whole section.. but I believe it only tracks new threads in that section as opposed to new messages.

I guess what we basically need is a "New Post" feature but localized to the sections we want. Theres a slight "hackish" method of doing it.. if we want the latest posts from one section only, we put this code:
    https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&include=X
    Where "x" is the forum/section ID. CE Labs has an ID of 45, so we have the link below:

#-Link-Snipped-#

I guess there is a way to subscribe to all threads in that section (to get post updates to your email for example), but its probably an addon which needs to be enabled. Right biggie? If not, one has to subscribe to all the threads of interests manually.

Good suggestion by the way ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    @ash wow..how did you find that?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    A quick search ๐Ÿ˜› #-Link-Snipped-#

What you can try doing is create bookmarks on your browser with the modified links you want. Still, its not the same as subscribing to it though.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You can subscribe to any section and have 'email notifications' for any new updates to that section.

Simply go to the section you want to subscribe (by clicking the link on the forum index page) and then on the right side, just above the post check for "Forum Tools" dropdown -> Subscribe to this section.

Let me know if you want something else.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Biggie, that only works for new threads. Existing threads with new posts wont be included in the notifications unfortunately.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Good one.

Nice hacking there, Ash!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, what ash says is right. We have thread subscription available! Moreover, old threads are seldom updated. So you can select the threads you wish to subscribe to for updates.

I hope this helps.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Ok..Big_k..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Update

I sincerely apologize, I was mistaken about biggie's suggestion on subscribing to a section. You WILL get updates on new posts on any thread in that section, not just new threads. I did not know this because because the updates take a long time to reach my email.. *ahem*

I guess patience is a virtue that I'm sadly lacking at the moment ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and I should start reading posts fully before answering ๐Ÿ˜›
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Thanks for the response ash & Big_K.
    Now I am getting updates correctly , but after visiting the thread ๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Look at this folks - The green & the blue colors that you see - is actually just one color! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Amazing, isn't it?
hi crazyengineers, Im a final year mechanical engg student in an anna univ affiliated college. i want to be design engineer. is it useful studiying auto cad,CATIA,Pro E,ANSYS,primevera while doin...
Voa! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Infosys co-founder, Nandan Nilekani has resigned from Infosys board to head a government project - providing unique identification numbers to citizens of India. The resignation will be effective...
Mozilla continues to (benevolently) toy with Firefox fans, makinga third Firefox 3.5 Release Candidate available for direct download or updating through the Help->Check for Updates path, while shying... More...
I need some sample MATLAB codes about simulating MIMO channel models.