Old Scooters Q

Hi, anyone seen/remember?
Every old scooters had a control switch which was normal mode and reserve mode.
When the fuel inside a tank gets verymuch exhausted or decreased. We need to switch to reserve control in the vehicle. Only then, the vehicle would start or can be used. I think this is still there in TVS XL. Anyone know how it works?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    As a matter of fact, this control is present on most of the 2-wheelers, that are in the market today.

there are three modes in such switches, "off" , "on" and "reserve".

this switch seems to be nothing, but a valve, which regulates, the flow of fuel from the fuel tank to the carburettor.

now when the valve is thrown in the "reserve" mode, i think the cross-sectional area of the flow pipe is reduced considerably, when compared to the cross-sectional area in the "on" mode, so that the flow rate of fuel is reduced considerably and even the little amount of fuel that is present, will be used rationally , till the tank is completely empty.

now it is the drivers's job, that as soon as he flicks the control in reserve mode, he uses it to ride to the nearest petrol station to fill up
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    mreccentric
    Hi, anyone seen/remember?
    Every old scooters had a control switch which was normal mode and reserve mode.
    When the fuel inside a tank gets verymuch exhausted or decreased. We need to switch to reserve control in the vehicle. Only then, the vehicle would start or can be used. I think this is still there in TVS XL. Anyone know how it works?
    It is still there in all the latest bikes like Hero Honda Splendor, Honda CB Twister, Bajaj Pulsar too... Who told it is not there?
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    zaveri
    now when the valve is thrown in the "reserve" mode, i think the cross-sectional area of the flow pipe is reduced considerably, when compared to the cross-sectional area in the "on" mode, so that the flow rate of fuel is reduced considerably and even the little amount of fuel that is present, will be used rationally , till the tank is completely empty.

now it is the drivers's job, that as soon as he flicks the control in reserve mode, he uses it to ride to the nearest petrol station to fill up
    Cross sectional area of flow pipe - So you mean volume of fuel being in flow reduces. You Know, if the driver does not switch to reserve control (when fuel amount in tank is low), then the vehicle stops running. Acc to me, the amount of fuel flow wont make any difference. I wanted to know why the vehicle will not be able to run as mentioned above.

In that case, the scooter should be able to run even in ON control (instead of Reserve control). Reserve control is not needed if it works so.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    actually the need of reserve kind of thing is to let the user know that the fuel is going to end soon. so how it works?? i guess, there is a certain level/point for fuel in the fuel pipe below which normal mode, that is "ON" mode doesn't work, and the vehicle stops if its in the normal mode and the user has to switch to the reserve mode, then only the fuel below that level point can be used. Another point to keep in consideration is that even if the fuel is above reserve point, the reserve switch will work along with the normal "on" switch, and below that point only reserve point works. so better don't drive in reserve when it's not actually needed.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    okay, but what mechanism do you think they use? cos, i see the valve is in unmovable location.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

apart from good academic background ,what else does a company needs from a student??? like finishing certificate courses,internship,paper presentations,etc...if so please list them so that i can do everything as...
Found this website ๐Ÿ˜ check it out for fun! https://www.mastersinit.org/geeks-vs-nerds/
Somebody please,how to find this? Find the sum of the Symmetrical three-phase electromotive force e_a,e_b,e_c. e_a(t) = E_m.sinwt e_b(t) = E_m.sin(wt - 2pi/3) e_c(t) = E_m.sin(wt - 4pi/3) e_a+e_b+e_c =...
I found this on net and was shocked to read this. Do you think what is happening is good? Share your views please. First Rank in State in Secondary School...
A couple of months back i saw a car on the road which looked something like the nissan micra , and that is what i thought it was, but on...