Ohm law

Ohm says i=v/r but at some condition current increases then voltage decreases how is that?

Replies

• born_star16
    born_star16
    There are some electrical circuits which do not obey Ohm's law. For example, the p-n junction diode. In the p-n junction diode, current does not increase linearly with applied voltage. This happens because the value of "resistance" is not constant as a function of applied voltage. Further, the current only increases significantly if the applied voltage is positive, not negative.
  • Alienator
    Alienator
    Mangesh4438
    Ohm says i=v/r but at some condition current increases then voltage decreases how is that?
    check out the limitations of ohm's law....
  • magnatron
    magnatron
    may be the resistance decreases.. 😛 active devices such as transistors, diodes etc will not obey ohm's law
  • Oleg Arcadewhich
    Oleg Arcadewhich
    Mangesh4438
    Source resistance. When load resistance decreases, current increases, and voltage drop at source side appears. For example:V battery= 14,4VR lamp = 4 OhmR starter = 0.144 OhmR internal of a battery= 0.024 OhmI1=Vbat/(Rlamp+Rbat)=3,57A Vlamp=Vbat-I1*Rbat=14.28VI2= Vbat/(Rstarter+Rbat)=85,7AVstarter= Vbat-I2*Rbat=12,34V
  • Arp
    Arp
    have you not ever come across varistors or non-linear resistors or lightening arrestors.
    we can have material to follow ohm law only in the range we want by design and then can vary itsbehaviour with voltage.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mangesh4438
    If you are talking about real circuits the culprit may be the impedance of the source. The out put voltage of some power supplies could be higher when the load has a high resistance than when it has a low resistance. Ohm's law is still obeyed if one considers the total resistance, that is, source resistance plus load resistance.

P.S. Sorry, did not notice that Oleg had covered this already.
  • u_know_who
    u_know_who
    Ohm's law is created for conductor : The current flow to a conductor at a constant temperature and for a fixed material is proportional to the voltage applied across the conductor. Didode is not that conductor ohm mentioned.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ACIT takes to you a networking training institute that provides variety of Cisco related certifications. ACIT provides the most excellent education in the field of Networking and Security associated solutions....
I am a student doing BE(ECE) Final year.I am in the urge of preparing a good professional resume.Can anyone help me out with sample resumes or templates.I am a fresher.Kindly...
I want to know something about my course.It's called "information systems engineering". this is my curriculum for 4 years. Here is my question.Has my course got another name? because i...
I am looking for SAE 1018 specification. Could any body post the sames Thanks in advance
Hi techies....I am a M.Tech guy in computer engineering.... I got placed in Two major IT companies CTS and WIPRO.... I am confused which would be the better choice.... I...