Odometer mechanism in automobiles.

What exactly is the working principle of the Odometer in autos ?

now i am wondering whether the odometer will deflect, if the vehicle is moved by towing ?

Tagging at experts #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Odometer works with there worm gears .The input shaft is connected to the worm and it rotates the gear and similarly gear reduction happens in all there worm gears .The output of the worm gear rotates the odometer's ten's place.This in turn turn the previous place values every ten rotation completion.
    The digital odometers are more accurate and costs less.
    The older models rotate backwards when vehicle is moved backwards.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A flexible shaft transfers the revolutions of the rear (left) wheel of the auto to a further reduction train as CSK described. This is displayed like any water or electricity meter.
    The catch is that if the tire is worn out, the meter will show a longer distance for the same actual distance traveled because the circumference is less.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I would like some more clarity on this topic. Example, what about all wheel drive cars? Is it the same principle for manual and automatic transmissions? What if the vehicle is towed in neutral with all fours on the ground?
    please refer "#-Link-Snipped-# stuff works.com" to know more .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CDAC has developed WiTraC - India's own wireless traffic control system that runs on solar power. The center for development of advance computing is globally known for the development of...
Google Inc has launched a new device, called the Google Chromecast, a HDMI Streaming Media Player, which happens to be a dongle powered by Chrome OS and is currently priced...
HTC India is all set to bring a new Android smartphone for the masses. We have been covering news about the HTC's desire range of smartphones and have seen a...
Skoda India, the Czech automaker is all set to announce the all new Skoda Octavia vRS, the fastest Octavia ever to come out of the company's production house. Featuring two...
My Sister is coming from dubai. Can i ask her to buy a mobile phone from there? Will i get all company warranty? Is Samsung S3 cheaper there? Please suggest...