Observation & measurement

I've brought these subjects up at other forums, and I have to say there appears to be a fairly wide set of viewpoints about either.

In QM. observation and measurement are definitely the same thing. Here, the paradigm is POVM, or "positive operator valued measurement". The operator is both the "momentum" a quantum state has from a perturbation in the system, and an "operator" human who applies the external field so states evolve.

I recall a discussion about the difference between a science such as astronomy, which is "observational"; and what some argued was what astronomy excludes: experimentation.

This is a claim I just can't agree with, if astronomy was only about passive observation, why bother with telescopes? Can people who believe they can't experiment with a telescope (the argument in support of the "only observe" theory is that you can't alter the subject, only look at it) only buy them and leave them in the store?
That would be the logical thing to do if you can't "experiment" with observations, by locating a telescope, pointing it at something - how do you know where to look, or why would you bother if you can only see the same old stuff, every time?

Obviously, people with telescopes do experiment with them. Otherwise, why is there a science of telescopy and a history of the development of astronomy and telescopes? Why are we experimenting with new kinds of astronomy? Why didn't Newton use radio dishes, why are we using them today, instead of the telescope Newton used - since the work had been done, there should be no need to try to build a better technology (like we have) since, all another 'scope can do is what any other can do?

This is a misconception, obviously the Hubble is experimental; it can be pointed in different directions, it has comms equipment to relay data (observations) to human beings. If all we could do was observe, why bother pointing the Hubble in any particular direction, or bother building the equipment that lets the orientation be changed, or even bother building the comms, if it's "just observing"??

So, is astronomy connected to QM, in any way? Yep, you bet. Is looking down a telescope of any kind, positive, and operator valued measurement, even though we can't directly perturb a distant object, we certainly can perturb the observation of it (with astronomical experiments, including telescopy).

More than a few people completely disagreed with my argument. They insist you can't experiment with distant objects, so this means astronomy is "just observation" whatever that might mean.

What do you think?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Skipper: Nice article.

I agree with you , "Astronomy is not just observation".
    We directly dont perturb any objects in the space we definitely alter the position of the telescope to alter the position we are viewing on the space.
    Thus Indirectly we deviate the direction.

The lastest news says there is extra terrestrial life possible on one of the moons of Saturn , they found some traces of Sea on the moon.
    So they are experimenting , if it is just observing they should have found it in the first view.

PS.Please move this article to appropriate section may be debate
  • skipper
    skipper
    The other problem I think exists with the measurement paradigm in astronomy is: what category of observation is the CMB in, or calculations of the cosmic expansion?

How experimental are the ideas about for example, neutrino flux and resonance (flavor-mixing), and dark matter/energy?
    (that's a teaser, the puzzle is: -apologies for being so remiss- what connection is there between the observed polarizations in the CMB and the last scattering angle of the most distant galaxies, and is this also connected to the observed special velocity of the local group of galaxies?)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Scrap Class 10 board exams, says Kapil Sibal - Human resource and development minister, India As per Kapil SIbal's announcement: 1. Class 10th Exams are optional. "There has to be...
I was just reading news on Web, came across the following news and thought would generate interest in CEan's to do something as innovative as this is. Posting the same:...
hi friends. recently i installed IE-8 i my machine. but i want IE6 back now. can any one tell me how to do that!. i tried add/remove windows components. but...
IIT - Guwahati presents: Techniche 2009 3-6 September, 2009. Official Website: Techniche '09 | Techniche About Techniche (taken from official website) - To illuminate the darkest corners of your minds,...
I want course details for partime M.E and fees details in tamilnadu.😕