Obama's Victory & Indian IT - Will The Growth Continue

iGATE founder Phaneesh Murthy has said that Obama's victory as the President of United States Of America may not be a good sign for the Indian IT industry. Obama's been favouring no tax breaks for the companies that outsource work to India and China. Phaneesh Murthy even says that with Obama continuing his term for the next 4 years, the sluggishness in the IT domain and overall economy may continue to remain for coming months. That may not be the best news for the Indian IT which mostly survives on work outsourced by American (and even European) countries.

Obama, during his election campaigns said that his focus will be more on creating jobs locally in USA than outsourcing jobs to foreign countries.

Those who've seen the IT recession of 2008-09 are aware how bad the situation can go when outsourcing is affected, forcing Indian companies to lay off their employees. I thought of getting an overall opinion of our CEans through this debate about the repercussions of Obama's victory on India's IT industry. Do you think the 'low' times will continue for some more time or are you optimistic about things getting better for Indians?

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I heard some of the debates between Obama and Romney, in which Romney has good point about lots of American loosing their jobs. Obama said they are trying to create more jobs in America and that too particularly in IT industry. Now after getting "Four More Years", if he implements it, then I am afraid Indian economy, which relies a lot on outsourcing, is going to suffer a lot.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Pensu
    I heard some of the debates between Obama and Romney, in which Romney has good point about lots of American loosing their jobs. Obama said they are trying to create more jobs in America and that too particularly in IT industry. Now after getting "Four More Years", if he implements it, then I am afraid Indian economy, which relies a lot on outsourcing, is going to suffer a lot.
    Unless new innovations pop in India our Economy especially from IT field is doomed to death

The need of the hour is this we need Innovative Entrepreneurs now that to very Urgently a minimum of about 150 is needed with in a month to prevent subsequent damage due to the looming recession
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    You can see many companies having CIOs in Indian IT companies.But what about CTOs in our companies.
    The CTOs and their departments are responsible for researching and bringing new technologies to market.
    CTOs are found in US-Euro companies, but in India ???

And as Infosys founder Narayan Murthy says " Indian IT companies are mostly in service sector and very much dependent on it.Its time innovation and development also become prime focus."
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Here is an opportunity for India to become more independent. Time to invest in R&D and develop high skilled and high paying jobs in India. Here is a challenge!
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    And perhaps this bad and challenging time will finally force Indian IT companies to go into R&D.After IT companies are solution providers but now they should find solution for themselves.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE Designer
    Here is an opportunity for India to become more independent. Time to invest in R&D and develop high skilled and high paying jobs in India. Here is a challenge!
    There's no will to be independent, actually. Most of the Indians I talk to believe that the technology can only come from elsewhere but not in-house. It's the years of brain-washing and over-dependence on others that's now showing up. I however have some hope left in the current generation of entrepreneurs. I just hope that there will be at least a few entrepreneurs who'll want to develop things in-house; maybe with collaboration with others.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The_Big_K
    There's no will to be independent, actually. Most of the Indians I talk to believe that the technology can only come from elsewhere but not in-house. It's the years of brain-washing and over-dependence on others that's now showing up. I however have some hope left in the current generation of entrepreneurs. I just hope that there will be at least a few entrepreneurs who'll want to develop things in-house; maybe with collaboration with others.
    It is high time the dependant mentallity of our fore fathers broke away from us

We the younger generation have broken away a lot of things in the name of tradition and here is one hidden tradition and there is no Social Reformer to reform our nation out of its bondage
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    The_Big_K
    There are the crazy few who do exist and its those crazies who can change India and by extension the world. For rapid growth government needs to pump money into university projects. Universities also need to tailor their curriculum to teach and encourage entrepreneurship.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE Designer
    There are the crazy few who do exist and its those crazies who can change India and by extension the world. For rapid growth government needs to pump money into university projects. Universities also need to tailor their curriculum to teach and encourage entrepreneurship.
    Well, that doesn't just apply to India, but all the countries. Every country should be self-dependent. I just hope humans will realize this before its too late.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I agree all countries. My university tried to do this through entrepreneurship and product design and development courses but that's where it ended. The support wasn't there, neither was the technology or finance. My government is too dependent on our energy sector and easy money rather than setting up downstream manufacturing industries and investing in innovative business ideas.
    Is India considered a third world country?
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Here is a latest update.Just came across economic times article from a CIO (Gartner , India ).

"The issues around outsourcing come up against the reality that the US is already - in spite of high overall #-Link-Snipped-# - facing a big shortage of #-Link-Snipped-#", Iyengar said.
    "To try and reduce that supply even further will be like shooting themselves in the head!".

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Microsoft is releasing Office App for Android and iOS devices soon (VoiCE). The expected release date is in February-March 2013 for the iOS version and the Android version will come...
Is it possible to share or transmit power(either ac or dc) via blutooth...???
Whose project should I select in the field of power generation system?
In quest of deep knowledge of civil engineering.Want to correlate each and every part of theoretical knowledge to real world problems.
What is Mohr's circle and what does it actually shows andn explains?