NTU Researchers Introduce Their New ‘Receptionist’ Nadine: The Intelligent Social Humanoid

The day has come when robots and humans are ready to greet each other as colleagues. Nanyang Technological University introduced ‘Nadine’ to the whole world as their new receptionist, who is a rather super intelligent robot which resembles a female human in almost all aspects. For the past few years, Professor Nadia Thalman at the Institute for Media Innovation (NTU), was devoting her time to create a sociable , artificially intelligent Robot that is similar to Apple’s Siri and Microsoft’s Cortana, but unlike them she would have a physical form and appearance.

Nadin_Nadia
Nadin and Nadia: Credit Sherlyn Goh (#-Link-Snipped-#)

If you meet her, be sure to greet her, otherwise she may get hurt! She is emotionally and socially compatible with human beings. Talking about her looks, she exactly resembles a middle-aged brunette woman with a soft pinkish skin. She is very charming, she shakes hands, makes eye contact and smiles intently when you talk to her.

Unlike conventional intelligent bots like ‘Natasha’ of Hike, Nadine has emotions. She feels happy or sad and gestures, depending on the conversation. Nadine also boasts of photographic memory, which stores almost all important information without fail. She can instantly recognize you if you have met her in the past. A complex natural language user interface feature is embedded in Nadine, which is capable of detecting human emotion and is adept at replying in real time.

Nadine_closeupNadia: Credits Sherlyn Goh

As revealed by the research team Leader, Nadia, their motivation for making Nadine had to do with highlighting complications that could arise in nuclear families. She emphasized that in the current scenario, we need humanoids that can help children and the elderly at home.

At the same time, NTU also unveiled a telepresence Robot named EDGAR that can be controlled even from another corner of the world. It is programmed to project the gestures of its human user. EDGAR can deliver speeches by autonomously acting out a script and with the help of an integrated webcam it can even engage in an intellectual banter with people he meets. EDGAR too bears social skills and similar human emotions like Nadine.

EDGAREDGAR: Credits NTU press release
The research team confirmed that the Media department of NTU was performing cross-disciplinary research in fields such as robotics technology, computer science, linguistics and psychology, which ultimately led to the creation of Nadine and EDGAR.

Team leader, Nadia stated that the team is planning to soon launch them in the market as social assistants. She is hopeful that this research will revolutionize the field of Artificial Intelligence. It seems that we might not have to wait long for the day when intelligent robots like Nadine may become an integral part of our lives.

To see the conversation between Nadin and Nadia, check the following video -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have 2 years of experience. I am handling all seo project in company. I can do on page, off page seo , social media marketing,ORM. I have also worked...
Cleveland-based startup Selfie-Z has created a product to make your gym life easy and hassle-free. In an effort to help out millions of people who face the same problems at...
Korean Electronics giant Samsung will soon launch a new 12 inch tablet powered by Windows 10, which will become part of Galaxy Tab series, according to the reports. Device’s model...
For budding Musician CEans with itching fingers. Quote: About this Course Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you...
My rank is A+B+C is 210 , luking for DVLSI course...plz. Tell me which cdac is best. Nd, the current placement scenario in cdac acts pune in DVLSI.