Now know when your garden needs watering

The 2/3rd of world is water they say, and there can not be a bigger paradox than this commodity is still scarce. Growing population, pollution, indiscriminate use; whatever could be the reasons, but one thing is for sure that, while the amount of water on earth is going to stand same, we need to find ways to conserve this precious life supporting element.

Now, soon your iPhone will be able to tell you exactly when your garden would need watering. So there would neither be a case of neglect, nor watering more frequently and unnecessarily out of overly care. Alumni of technical universities in Switzerland and Germany have been reported to have developed the Koubachi wi-fi plant sensor and application for doing this job.

It requires the sensor to sit with the plant, monitoring it and checking its vital signs against a built-in botanic encyclopedia. The application has been fed with information about nearly all the typical garden or house plants, their growing seasons, the optimum temperatures for survival & growth and water requirements. The health metrics are sent over, as messages, to an iPhone, which will beep in a particular way whenever your plant is in danger zone of a specific metric. The device is self calibrating, powered from 2 AA size batteries to run for about 18 months. So, not only watering but the device is supposed to take care of overall health of the garden and house plants. The device is capable of monitoring several plants at once. So be ready to shell out 99 pounds if you want your lovely garden to be monitored thus.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I spend most of my daylight free time in the garden. Any interested gardener knows when watering is needed. The problem is that even borewells are going dry all over the place. Water is a permanent chemical. very little decomposes, very little newly produced. Fresh water availability where needed is the problem. 80% of municipal water supplied is literally flushed out.
    Global warming leading to change in rain fall pattern is adding to the woes.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    They should release it on Android & Windows too.
    Technology is advancing so fast that some people will just wait for a version of the device that senses the need of watering holds water, has wheels and can water and move the plant itself. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Interesting idea, Want to get information of such sensors. Please share if you come to know about such sensors.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It will be helpful when this application will come to android and scalable to large farms.👍
    Farmers who have their farms at different and remote locations can use this.
    Using this for backyard garden reminds me the movie WALL-E, if you don't know when to water your garden that mean you are missing beauty of your garden and you don't care about it.☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nuclear energy is actually very clean energy. Yet the hazards of the spent fuel and structuaral damage by earthquakes is making it difficult for nations to go in for this....
Name:VINEET EAPEN *Engineering Trade:INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY Location:CHENNAI,TAMIL NADU *Occupation: (Student|Working|Self-Employed|Unemployed; details please!) STUDENT Work Experience: (if applicable) NIL ...STILL A STUDENT *Hobbies & Interests: Reading books,listening to songs etc....... *Aim in...
Hi friends, when i connect my western Digital external Had disk (Mypassport) 500Gb, it's detected Initio default controller device. so i can't get my partition's please help me. i try...
What is the difference between machine and device ? Are these only two names for the same entity? Can we call a machine a machine a device and vice versa? Looking forward...
I really need some topics for my thesis. I'm an ECE student! I would like to have a thesis which is not currently existing yet will be beneficial to the...