View Feed
group-icon
Civil + Structural Engineers
Community of Civil and Structural Engineers to discuss all concepts, topics, questions and doubts.
399 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

Novice - Infestation in Support Post - Urgent Advice Needed

Hi, I urgently require advice, ASAP I live in an old cottage, with wood beamed ceiling. The Support post has developed large vertical cracks.

I have purchased an Acrow Prop to support the weight. Someone advised I should have the post removed, but it is,very difficult to get anyone up to drive up where I live. Could someone, please, advise a reliable treatment I could use that would kill woodworm or beetles, or whatever is going on inside the beam ?

Apply some pest killer completely soaking the post. Can you enclose it in steel casing after the above treatment?

Thank you for your response, which I,greatly, appreciate.

The post is in a 200 year old cottage,so probably as old as the cottage itself.

The post is painted /stained, black, as are the beams above. Would I need to remove the paint, first, before applying the killer ? I have never done pest killing before and know nothing about steel casing, Where would I go to get such steel casing , are their special merchants that can supply,the sheeting ?  Would it need to be screwed in place ?

The house where I was born in 1939 was already 150 years plus old. It also had 15 inch thick mud walls ( bamboo reinforced) with wooden struts and posts. There was no pest infestation though there were long vertical cracks in some of them.

You can sandpaper the outside of the post and wrap a polyurethane foam pad soaked in pesticides around the post with an outer wrap of polyethylene film to prevent evaporation of the water. Leave it on to soak in. Repeat a few times.

Some sort of mechanical jack consisting of say four rods of one inch diameter can be put around the post to take some of the load. If you are looking to use this idea one can think about a design for this.

Share this content on your social channels -