1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Novice - Infestation in Support Post - Urgent Advice Needed

Question asked by Storm Child in #Civil & Structural on Aug 3, 2019
Storm Child
Storm Child · Aug 3, 2019
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Hi, I urgently require advice, ASAP I live in an old cottage, with wood beamed ceiling. The Support post has developed large vertical cracks.

I have purchased an Acrow Prop to support the weight. Someone advised I should have the post removed, but it is,very difficult to get anyone up to drive up where I live. Could someone, please, advise a reliable treatment I could use that would kill woodworm or beetles, or whatever is going on inside the beam ?

Posted in: #Civil & Structural
Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Aug 3, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Apply some pest killer completely soaking the post. Can you enclose it in steel casing after the above treatment?

Storm Child
Storm Child · Aug 7, 2019
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Thank you for your response, which I,greatly, appreciate.

The post is in a 200 year old cottage,so probably as old as the cottage itself.

The post is painted /stained, black, as are the beams above. Would I need to remove the paint, first, before applying the killer ? I have never done pest killing before and know nothing about steel casing, Where would I go to get such steel casing , are their special merchants that can supply,the sheeting ?  Would it need to be screwed in place ?

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Aug 7, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

Ramani Aswath
Ramani Aswath · Aug 10, 2019
Rank A1 - PRO

The house where I was born in 1939 was already 150 years plus old. It also had 15 inch thick mud walls ( bamboo reinforced) with wooden struts and posts. There was no pest infestation though there were long vertical cracks in some of them.

You can sandpaper the outside of the post and wrap a polyurethane foam pad soaked in pesticides around the post with an outer wrap of polyethylene film to prevent evaporation of the water. Leave it on to soak in. Repeat a few times.

Some sort of mechanical jack consisting of say four rods of one inch diameter can be put around the post to take some of the load. If you are looking to use this idea one can think about a design for this.

Storm Child
Storm Child · Aug 28, 2019
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Ramani,
A long delay, I know.. Oh well ! ..
Just writing to thank you, so ,very ,much, for all your useful advice. I found the description of your 150 year old mud and bamboo home most fascinating, such skill involved in the construction and so much more "organic " than western buildings ...
I am treating the post, along with the rest of the beams with several coatings of a quality infestation killer....Hopefully, all will go well...
Again, many thanx for your valuble time and expertise ...

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up