Not using main oil reservoir to cool engines

A typical design for an engine uses oil to contribute to the cooling of the engine. For example, an automotive "water cooled" engine usually has holes in the base of the rods that spurt out oil onto the undersides of the pistons. This both cools and lubricates the piston.

It would be interesting to know how much the cooling duties of the oil cause it to degrade and take on a dark burnt appearance. Would oil in the main oil reservoir last longer if it were only used for lubrication and not to cool the pistons?

Suppose there was a secondary reservoir that supplied a coolant-lubricant to the bottom of the pistons using a circulation system that was isolated from the flow of oil from the main reservoir. Different fluids could be used in the two reservoirs , for example, different weight motor oils. Are there already engine designs like this?

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Interesting idea. Also keep in mind with synthetics color changes does not directly equal degredation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker File Size 5.04MB Create your own CD/DVD labels and CD jewel cases with the ultimate in ease and flexibility! If you're sick of guessing which songs...
All is set to add glitz and glamour to the month of April... Kamala Institute of Technology & Science-Singapur, Huzurabad, Karimnagar Dt. presenting you a NATIONAL LEVEL TECHNICAL & CULTURAL...
I am preparing a paper on the parallel implementation of goldberg's algorithm for maximizing network flow. Please help me by mailing whatever papers on the same you have access to...
hi friends, i think it,s an idiote question but i just want to know what additional in java is so that we can run java on web page but not...
The Audi Calamaro Concept was developed by Tibor for a design competition, organized by Porsche Hungary. The futuristic concept looks like a cross between a boat, a ski and perhaps...