Not sure I understand this about Young's Modulus

I am reading the book "Structures or why things don't fall down" by J.E. Gordon, and he states that "Young's modulus may be regarded as that stress which would double the length of the material (i.e. the stress at 100 per cent strain) - if the material did not break first - the numbers involved are often large".

The sentence is a little oddly worded, but is it saying that the value of the Young's modulus for some material represents the amount of stress required to double the length of that material?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    David Rubiano
    is it saying that the value of the Young's modulus for some material represents the amount of stress required to double the length of that material?
    That is correct.
    Tensile Modulus is defined as the
    "ratio of Young's Modulus, Tensile Strength and Yield Strength Values for some Materials (force per unit area) along an axis to Young's Modulus, Tensile Strength and Yield Strength Values for some Materials (ratio of deformation over initial length) along that axis"

Let us say that for some material for a given stress 's' the material increases the length by 0.01(1%). The Elastic modulus is s/0.01 = 100 s, which represents the stress to double the length. However, no real material can uniformly deform to actually double its initial unstressed length.
  • Ankush Sharma
    Ankush Sharma
    David Rubiano
    but is it saying that the value of the Young's modulus for some material represents the amount of stress required to double the length of that material?
    Yes exactly, but just one correction "not some materials but all the materials".
    As, elastic modulus is the ratio of stress to strain, means the amount of stress required to produce unit strain.
    Now what is the meaning of unit strain?
    Means strain=1, and when it will become 1?-- when the change in length is equal to original length, which directly means the length of material doubles up.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid, but I'm a recent graduate with a CSE degree & I'm thinking of making myself a portfolio that visitors can have a look...
HTC has launched One X9 smartphone meant for city-smart users, which is expected to cost around INR 25,990. The company has also launched HTC 10, a HTC desire series device...
A refurbished mid-range car for regular use has been placed under the spotlight with some modern modifications by Hyundai Motor India Limited. The “new thinking” company has reworked on their...
A team of astronomers have discovered a giant exoplanet near a young star, expected size of which is about 8 planets like Jupiter put together. This is one of the...
The recent craze in Robotic Bugs have increasingly gone viral and with modern technologies available near reach, tech maniacs are engaging themselves in building more sophisticated tools as per requirement,...