Nokia Asha 210 Pre-Order In India For Rs. 4,499. Would You Make It Yours?

The Nokia Asha 210 smartphone is now up for pre-order in India with a price tag of Rs. 4,499. Famous for having the dedicated keys for Facebook and Whatsapp, this Indian-youth focused smartphone from the Asha series is an attempt by the Finnish manufacturer to make it large in India's young market. Featuring a support for dual GSM SIM cards, the Nokia Asha 210 comes in a variety of vibrant colors - that include cyan, magenta and yellow, as well as the classic black and white. Those who would love to get their hands on this new phone at the earliest, should know that Nokia Asha 210 is yet to go official in India, but various retailers, like always, have gone a step ahead and have listed the handset on their website.

Promoting its deep social network integration, the Asha 210 has tech specs that speak of a 11.8mm thick body that weighs 99.5 grams. The 2.4-inch display with LCD transmissive screen of 320 x 240p resolution and the QWERTY keyboard that make up the phone's front is coupled with a 2 megapixel camera on the rear end that comes with 4x digital zoom and the ability to record videos at the rate of 10 frames per second. Interestingly, there’s no front-facing camera, so those who are fond of taking self-portraits will have voice guidance at their disposal to capture a proper images. Though this is no Android, the Asha 210 features a Series 40 OS and users can find that the device is loaded with the usual VoIP, call divert, speed dial and conference call support among other facilities.

slide
Coming pre-installed with a Xpress browser for internet access, Nokia has bundled the phone with a host of free games, that include FIFA 13, Need for Speed Shift, Medal of Honor and Bejeweled etc. There's the app called Slam for sharing content like pictures, videos and contacts with others over Bluetooth. Your Asha 210 gets booted up by driving power from a 1200mAh battery that the company claims to cover 12 hours of talk time on 2G service.

Coming to the storage - we have got 64 MB onboard memory which is expandable up to 32GB and the additional 2MB of RAM. For connectivity users can lean to GPRS, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. Flipkart and Infibeam are offering this new baby for Rs. 4,499 which is the lowest available, yet higher than the previously disclosed Rs. 3,999 retail tag. And while Rediff shopping is asking for Rs. 4,999, those purchasing the handset through Snapdeal will have to shell out Rs. 5,269.

Now the question is would you make the decision to buy this phone by pre-ordering it. Is it a dumb move or a daring move? We would like to know your opinions in comments. Till then check our Nokia's Promotional video -

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have read some very bad reviews of the Asha phones. The screen isn't good they say and doesn't feel like value for money. Cheap, yes, but is it worth it?
    All the things that they are showing off include -
    • Preloaded YouTube launcher for direct video streaming.
    • Chat screen notifications that keep users up-to-date on new conversations.
    • Nokia claims it has up to 46 days battery life with Single-SIM and up to 24 days with Dual-SIM.

Why choose Nokia Asha over others?
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Well Asha has been a troubled platform. Taking a brief look at my friend's Asha 311, I found the following problems:
    1. No copy paste function.
    2. The camera shoot sound cannot be switched off.
    3. Even if the phone has Wi-Fi, once you start using your mobile internet you cannot go back to Wi-Fi.
    4. Automatic restarts.
    Also the problem is Nokia is not providing good quality camera. Just 2 MP is not going to cut it. Last I saw only Nokia C2-01 carrying a rather good quality 3.2 MP camera after that newer handsets from Nokia (in < 5000 INR) have a max of 2 MP lenses, and in some I have seen VGA sensors.
    One of the reasons why Nokia is preferred over other brands is good after sales service. I have never heard any horror stories regarding its service and with 1 year extended warranty plans of different rate slabs, Nokia feature phones make a good deal.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Well Asha has been a troubled platform. Taking a brief look at my friend's Asha 311, I found the following problems:
    1. No copy paste function.
    2. The camera shoot sound cannot be switched off.
    3. Even if the phone has Wi-Fi, once you start using your mobile internet you cannot go back to Wi-Fi.
    4. Automatic restarts.
    Also the problem is Nokia is not providing good quality camera. Just 2 MP is not going to cut it. Last I saw only Nokia C2-01 carrying a rather good quality 3.2 MP camera after that newer handsets from Nokia (in < 5000 INR) have a max of 2 MP lenses, and in some I have seen VGA sensors.
    One of the reasons why Nokia is preferred over other brands is good after sales service. I have never heard any horror stories regarding its service and with 1 year extended warranty plans of different rate slabs, Nokia feature phones make a good deal.
    You must be joking? 😲
    Nokia Care Center had the worst reviews of all time. It was like chaos when Nokia was mobile leader. Had one experience myself and later came to know that I am not the only one. I don't know the present situation but like 4 years ago when they ruled, they sucked pretty hard on customer support side.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I sincerely believe that Nokia should embrace Android before the world moves on. I'm quite sure that Nokia would get back into the race with Android instead of Windows phones.

Not sure if that would affect their pricing strategy though.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I sincerely believe that Nokia should embrace Android before the world moves on.
    You put Microsoft executive as Head of Nokia, & what can you expect ? A Smartphone by Nokia with Android ? You gotta be kidding me 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    You put Microsoft executive as Head of Nokia, & what can you expect ? A Smartphone by Nokia with Android ? You gotta be kidding me 😁
    I just expressed my opinion. Elop could have been 'planted' by Microsoft in Nokia just to stay in the game, but I like the way they're seriously improving their mobile operating system and trying to claim some market share.

On the other hand, people would go with what their friends have - and everyone's almost got an Android or iOS these days. I think the same thing's hurting Blackberry too.
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just expressed my opinion. Elop could have been 'planted' by Microsoft in Nokia just to stay in the game, but I like the way they're seriously improving their mobile operating system and trying to claim some market share.

On the other hand, people would go with what their friends have - and everyone's almost got an Android or iOS these days. I think the same thing's hurting Blackberry too.

Windows phone will eventually catch upto iOS and android because they're evolving fast and they have more than the required resources to compete in the market.

Blackberry on the other hand is just shooting in the dark and they're losing money fast. Have a look at the ridiculous prices of Q10 and Z10 considering their average hardware. Blackberry don't have the same brand recall that apple has and even apple is losing customers like me to other platforms as iOS is now stagnant and feels ancient.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    nishant arora
    Windows phone will eventually catch upto iOS and android because they're evolving fast and they have more than the required resources to compete in the market.
    I disagree.
    I am not saying this because I hate Windows, but because Mobile world is all about innovations which both iOS & Windows lack. Tim knew that if upcoming iOS won't have any major upgrades, they'll be dead.
    Coming to Windows, They lack one major resource which is main factor behind success of any OS and that is developers. A smart developer will prefer Android over Windows, anyday.

History speaks it all, Opensource projects will always have larger pool of developers (thus more innovations) than closed source, this is the reason why Non-DRMs & No licensed or Open-licensed products are at top of the game.
    The real war will begin when Tizen, Ubuntu, Sailfish all will emerge within 6 months.That's when Windows phones dies.

If we talk about iOS then it will survive as long as myth "iOS is most robust than all phones" is there in people.For a moment, if they try Ubuntu OS - they'll start questioning the above sentence & by the way ubuntu is still in beta & still a killer OS.

This again sounds like OS war,
    But what I mean is : Open Environment attracts developers, thus more innovation is found in opensource community.
    Closed environment has only few hundreds people working on the project, thus lacks the innovation.
  • nishant arora
    nishant arora
    Developers or anyone for that matter prefer a place where they can make money and more customers simply means more money. Android gets more developer support because its got more users but iOS still gets apps earlier due to more paying customers. Android has way way more piracy than iOS and that is a huge deterrent for developers out there in the real world who make an honest living from their apps.

Windows phone definitely has a lot less customers and but thats only because it was late to the party with too little to offer. All of that is gonna change soon enough as most manufacturers are showing interest in it and Nokia has all its stake on windows phone so I see no reason for its failure as Microsoft and Nokia are backing it with all they've got.

Unless I'm mistaken, Sailfish, Firefox etc. all seem too late to the party with nothing out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure they don't have a shot unless they have a hardware giant backing them or a software innovation which then google, apple or microsoft simply buyout.

Also remember that you've got to get a paid developer account to develop for iOS and the others whereas developing for android is absolutely free and you can never beat that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Reliance Communications, the Indian technology giant has coupled with Apple Inc. to bring the iPhone 5 in India with many interesting post-paid plans. As we had reported earlier this month,...
Sticky paper luggage tags have been with us for ages, the way they work is simple, after you check-in the airline personnel print a tag that has barcode information along...
Google Inc's new headquarters is a giant groundscraper coming up at King's Cross in London, UK. This HQ stretches 330m in length and includes one building rising to 11 storey...
(Posted by Sarinda on a senior citizen site Verdurez) Interviewer: There are 500 bricks on a plane. You drop one outside. How many are left? Applicant: That's easy, 499 Interviewer:...
PS4's lead architect Mark Cerny talks about the road to PS4 at the Gamelab 2013. Its a great speech that covers Cerny's great career and Playstation's path which has now...