No root file system is defined or please correct this from the partioning main

hello!
am try to install Linux mint Olivia 15 cinoman 64 bit in my pc,I want to have two os in my pc, Linux and window ,,, I have already install window 8 (64bits) , but when install Linux I gat this message at end " NO root file system is defined please correct this from the partioning main".. I try to google it AND I find out I must change the format of the storage...! HOW DO I GONE CHANGE IT WITHOUT LOSS MY DATA IN THE HARD DISK WITH THE WINDOW???

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Nothing to do with format of storage, it simply means that you haven't allocated root (/).
    Simply allot some considerable good amount of space to root (/) : around 25-30 GB is more than enough & your installation will proceed.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    okay in my C drive I have 116GB free..!?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    joseph siomn
    okay in my C drive I have 116GB free..!?
    Afaik Windows system files are installed by default in C. Windows uses NTFS while Linux uses ext4, btrfs, f2fs etc etc.
    So, you simply cannot add / to free space in C.
    In short, Download Minitool partition wizard in Windows, Shrink C drive & delete the free 116 GB space.

Now while installing Linux, allot the space (from that 116 GB free space) as below :
    /boot = 400MB
    / = 25-30GB
    swap area = 2x of RAM size (as per theory)
    /home = as per use.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    Hello!
    i install linux os in my pc, cinoman 64 bits olivia 15, i want to make partition of my hard disk,./ how do i do it please,??
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Alright, I have merged the thread.

joseph siomn
    Hello!
    i install linux os in my pc, cinoman 64 bits olivia 15, i want to make partition of my hard disk,./ how do i do it please,??
    Well, I don't understand by term 'I install'. Do you mean that you 'installed' or you 'wanna install' ?

Anyway here's the tutorial which already been created :
    How To Dual-Boot Windows & Any Linux OS (With Pictures).
    Step-to-step guide to install Linux

This must solve your query.But if it doesn't, then ask your query here.
    BTW, If you have problem in manually partitioning, then there are options available while installation of Linux which will partition on it's own(automatic)

And if all things fails, we have this awesome book : #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A new kind of Internet that are not dependent upon servers or URLs for browsing and sharing content is possible, according to computer researchers from University of Cambridge. They seem...
Hey there, listen up! You've been stashing up way too many images and videos on your smart-device, and the Auto-Awesome enhancement in Google+ has only helped in beautifully formatting your...
Volvo has formulated a concept for lightweight structural energy-storing elements with a view to better the energy consumption of the electric vehicles developed in future. The material shall consist of...
Cornell University had established Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico six years before the first man set his foot on moon, and since its establishment, the observatory has played a significant...