No Mechies/Chem Es/Aero/Civil guys active?

I am getting a feeling not many of the aforementioned discipline engineers are active here. Is it because of some exam season or has it always been a minority? ๐Ÿ˜”

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    As a one man band I keep active in all those areas (probably a bit less in civil) at work.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Wait for me, I am entering the aero field ( on a small scale) but still it would be fun. Any chance you've interested towards aeromodelling? I am about to start with it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    [Prototype]
    Wait for me, I am entering the aero field ( on a small scale) but still it would be fun. Any chance you've interested towards aeromodelling? I am about to start with it.
    #-Link-Snipped-# <-- This guy knows a bit about Aeromodelling. There were posts about it on CE some time back.
    We can always start discussions. All curious heads can join in.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    [Prototype]
    Aeromodelling? Do you mean the activity or the engineering behind? I have done considerable study during my Masters. I mean Fluid Mechanics, Compressible Flow, etc. I would want you to elucidate further.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# <-- This guy knows a bit about Aeromodelling. There were posts about it on CE some time back.
    We can always start discussions. All curious heads can join in.
    Is it? I'll get in touch as soon as I am ready. At present, I am just brushing up my physics and reading up for the related stuffs. Meanwhile, I'll just start with flying an ARF first. Already ordered a radio. Lets see how it goes.

Shashank Moghe
    Aeromodelling? Do you mean the activity or the engineering behind? I have done a lot of that study during my Masters. I mean Fluid Mechanics, Compressible Flow, etc. I would want you to elucidate further.
    Haha no man. I am done with the engineering. Just as a hobbyist. I don't think all those things will be required. I've no freaking idea about them anyway. Aeromodelling is just making miniature flight capable models. They are small, but not a lollypop. Lots of efforts goes to make them just right.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Shashank Moghe
    Aeromodelling? Do you mean the activity or the engineering behind? I have done a lot of that study during my Masters. I mean Fluid Mechanics, Compressible Flow, etc. I would want you to elucidate further.
    Haha no man. I am done with the engineering. Just as a hobbyist. I don't think all those things will be required. I've no freaking idea about them anyway. Aeromodelling is just making miniature flight capable models. They are small, but not a lollypop. Lots of efforts goes to make them just right.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Totally agree with you man. I wanted to start with Matlab interfaced Quadcopter a few months back. But when I started delving deeper into it, I realized, this is not something I can do with a day job ๐Ÿ˜ It takes a lot of efforts (besides money). The Raspberry Pi tool-kit is itself a few hundred $$ (!) and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I cannot understand how commercial quadcopters cost as little as $50 ๐Ÿ˜”

Anyways, do keep me(rather, us all) in what you are doing. I am always interested in helping out on whatever I can. It is an amazing engineering activity I believe. Kudos to you!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    Is it because of some exam season or has it always been a minority? ๐Ÿ˜”
    Exam season + Festival Season. Traffic will be at an all time low to almost every section for a week or two.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    What can we do to increase the traffic? I believe taking pro-active measures should help. Where I work, employee innovation is tapped by regularly opening "Innovation drives". Here a problem is placed (that is of course of interest to the company, commercially) and employees are asked to contribute with ideas (anything would do, I once saw a pdf with hand sketched drawings ๐Ÿ˜€ ).

Let us start something on similar lines, where problems are placed, and a final deliverable (for instance, in case of @[Prototype], a Matlab based control logic or a fully functional code) is targeted. I leave the thinking lines open.

My point is, a collective effort with a set deliverable draws exceptional participation. Chip in your ideas on this. We have exceptionally experienced mentors here (read #-Link-Snipped-# sir), too!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Shashank Moghe
    Where I work, employee innovation is tapped by regularly opening "Innovation drives". Here a problem is placed (that is of course of interest to the company, commercially) and employees are asked to contribute with ideas (anything would do, I once saw a pdf with hand sketched drawings ๐Ÿ˜€ ).
    Agree that this can be quite productive on CE.
    We have a similar intranet Innovation activity, where any employee at any of the 14 units around India can post ideas (get rewarded too depending on the evaluation).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# That's definitely a workable solution. A few years back some CEans participated in a design contest. We can work towards something like that if more people are interested in joining ing.

You can check the link: Create the Future Design Contest 2011
    If I remember it correctly, the participants were - #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

Let's give this a headstart. You can come up with two problem statements for starters. We will pin those discussions on the top and all Mods and regular members can pitch-in with whatever we know. Those interested can share the link with their friends via social media/emails/(phone calls? ๐Ÿ˜˜) and get more people involved.

If the activity gains some traction, we can announce an international engineering design contest by January 2015.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    #-Link-Snipped-# do these problems have to be discipline specific? Can we not come up with ideas which are inter-disciplinary? That would gain maximum traction I suppose. These days, no problems are purely discipline specific, all is mixed up and for good.

Since this isn't something which is just to boost participation, but we are expecting tangible output, let us also come up with a wholesome problem statement ourselves. You can tag people from all disciplines (formally announcing this search for a "problem statement" on a separate thread) and we can zero-down on a final statement soon.

#-Link-Snipped-# sir can be the moderator/guide in our hunt for the problem statements as he knows with his experience what is realistic and what is not.
    Does it sound good enough?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    My mind was also on the inter-disciplinary thing. And sure. I can do that. I will start a discussion right away under Projects section as it caters to all streams under engineering.

PS: Let's keep in mind that it's mostly going to be voluntary efforts from all of us for some time to get that thread/discussion noticed by all regular members here.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Totally agree. Give it a "Challenge" kind of feel, I have seen people on CE get pumped up if it is a challenge ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Great to hear about the threads to be started!!!!
    Love to learn new things.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I've started the discussion - #-Link-Snipped-#
    Do start sharing problem statements.
    The one that gets the most positive ratings (likes & thumbsup) + #-Link-Snipped-#'s vote in case of a tie shall be picked up for further discussions.

In other lands, I love what the folks over at Engineers Without Borders (EWB) are doing worldwide. Do check - Home - Engineers Without Borders USA
    Let's hope to do that in a better way with our community.
    I was associated with the EWB India chapter during college. Our discussions were quite informative & interesting, but we couldn't take our local chapter to do something productive - getting from lab-to-land or actually materializing the amazing ideas some of my friends had.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

monti singh submitted a new project: Shock Absorber Test Rig for every Workshop - this is special design of shock absorber to find out effectiveness. this test rig has two...
The society has witnessed over the centuries that engineering solutions to real world problems are often the best for building a better world. There are problems with every sector of...
Calling out all the CEans to list the Xposed modules they're using in Stock or CM11. Also, I would love to know whether the respective module conflicts with CM11 or...
Hi guys, can anyone suggest me the best book for basic electrical and electronics engineering.Thanx
CPU burst distribution is generally characterized as a. constant b. linear c. polynomial d. exponential or hyper-exponential plz explain