Nikon D5300 Lens Upgrade Suggestion

We've a Nikon D5300 DSRL with the kit lens (AF-S NIKKOR 18-55 mm) and that does an impressive job of clicking general photos - indoor and outdoor. It's due for an upgrade and frankly speaking, I do not know what should be the next logical upgrade. The only issue I've faced with the existing lens is that it has a very limited zoom! The camera was almost useless during our jungle safari where I was trying to click wildlife several meters away.

I've explored various options but unable to decide what should be the next lens. Maybe because I'm still not clear about the requirements. Should I aim to get a lens that offers awesome zoom? Or is there anything else I should consider along with the zoom.

Again, with 'zoom' I do not want something that replaces my binoculars. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Upgrade to any prime lens and there is no coming back to any zoom lens. You can chose either of 35mm f1.8 or 50mm 1.8 for start.
    I suggest to go with 35mm, it is light and all around lens. For zoom you can easily crop the photos.
    50mm is longer lens for crops sensor body like D5300 and more of a portrait lens.
    With prime lens you will focus on subject and composition rather than how much frame should be in picture. It actually held to get better quality photos.
    For binocular-zoom, get Nikon/Tamron 70-300 lens both are around 25-30K lens. Don't buy other version of zoom lenses. They are mostly soft at longer focal length.

I think these two lenses 35mm + Nikon/Tamron 70-300 are good enough for any general purpose family and outdoor photography.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Any considerable difference between the Nikon and Tamron?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    When I purchased, Nikon version was 8K costlier. From reviews Nikon 70-300 is little faster to focus and little sharper. Tamron has better vibration control and little bit wide aperture F4 vs F4.5. That's why I went with Tamron.
    Both the lenses are also compatible for full frame. If no budget constraint, Nikkor 70-300 is a great telephoto lens.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Your suggestions are very helpful. I think I'm okay with up to Rs. 10K. That NIKKOR 70-300 is Rs. 6.5K and is well within my budget.

Would you recommend a wide-angle lens?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II #-Link-Snipped-# is most popular lens. I have it and it works great. Again Nikon version will be little better but cost like hell. Also this is one of the few wide lens with f/.8 large aperture.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear All, I need standard work procedure for testing/erection/commissioning procedure for LT/HT panels with reference to IEC/IS standard. Thanks in advance, M. Paramasivan
DEar Sir , i am a fresher 2015 pass out computer science engineer, I want to know one thing that i love to work with database so if i do...
While the world's attention has turned towards India and biggest players in the market like Amazon, Microsoft and Oracle are gearing up to open their data centres here, Japanese MNC...
Regular Skype conversations can be boring and now there's a way to fix it. Skype's Gurdeep Pall has announced that Skype will now get Bollywood Mojis and Emoticons which you...
name : kamal bharadwaj profession : student experience : no hobbies : reading books , watching tv, playing games, visiting new websites on pc,etc... Actually my frends reffered your blog...