ngrok - Great tool to allow remote access to localhost

Since last few days, I've been playing with this super cool tool called ngrok : ngrok - Online in One Line . My initial problem was that if I had to show my local server (created using XAMPP or MAMP) to anyone who's out of the local network (say in another city), I had no easy way. Sure, there are several services out there in the market; but I think ngrok deserves a special mention.

If you are developing stuff on your local server and want to show your work to your clients or team members, download this freeware tool from ngrok and install it. If you have configured a virtual host on your machine say 'local.dev' and want to avoid ICANN domain name collision error, run the following command

ngrok http -host-header=myapp.dev 80
What it does is create a secure tunnel which your remote team or client can use to view your local server behind firewall or router. They'll get a simple link similar to .ngrok.io . All you need to do is pass this link to them and they'll view your local server as if they're browsing a real website.

The tool's been a great time-saver for me and it works right out of the box. Give it a try. If you have questions or comments, let's discuss them here.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Ahhh, productivity. The revered topic in both the business and personal world. It seems we’re all looking for a magic bullet to help us get more done in less...
Trackr, A small and discreet device the size of a coin that is revolutionizing the market will do this. There have been posts on CE about tracking people with dementia,...
Dear Colleagues, I just wanted to say hi and let you know of a new calculation site/tool I have been developing (please let me know if there are any tools...
In 2011, while in his third year studying IT engineering from JECRC, Jaipur, Hitesh Malviya set up HCF Infosec Limited - an IT services company, which was the first of...
I'm thinking if the number of features make a product or service popular? That is, more the number of features a product or service offers; the better are its chances...