New X-Ray Imaging For Li-Ion Batteries Paves Way For Green Energy Storage

Most lithium-ion batteries in use today contain iron fluoride, an element that has the potential to triple their energy storage. However, scientists haven't utilised its true potential as of now. Recently, it has come to light that a research team from University of Wisconsin-Madison got along with scientists at the Brookhaven National Lab to develop a new X-Ray imaging technique that can help in studying of the electrochemical reactions in Li-ion rechargeable batteries (the ones used in our smartphones and tablets). By experimenting with coin cell batteries filled with iron fluoride during the battery cycling, the team was able to determine how they perform. And it's been revealed that the new findings could significantly improve renewable energy storage modes such as portable electronics, electric cars and even electrical microgrids. The research also has implications in improvement of processes such as preparation of thin-film solar cells and inorganic ceramics.

better-battery-imaging-renewable-energy-university-wisconsin

Till date, researchers weren't able to understand the effect of battery reactions upon iron fluoride because background signals came in the way. The UW-Madison team accurately visualised and measured these reactions at nanoscale and studied the chemical changes that iron fluoride goes through for storing and discharging energy.

Having iron fluoride in rechargeable Li-ion batteries poses two challenges:
1. It doesn't recharge very well in its current form.
2. It doesn't discharge as much energy as it takes in.

Since any consumer would rather have a battery that charges completely even after 100s of charging cycles, the new X-ray imaging method was employed to provide insights on why capacity decay might be occurring. The researchers found that iron fluoride performs better when it has a porous microstructure. The second challenge isn't yet solved, but it is on the team's target in future experiments.

What are your thoughts about new battery storage techniques? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Micromax Informatics Limited has launched a new low-budget dual-SIM (GSM+ GSM) smartphone called ‘Micromax Canvas Spark’ based on dominant Android platform. Priced at Rs 4,999, the latest 3G smartphone in...
WOULD ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE WEBPAGE CONTAINING THE NUMERICAL SOLVED PAPERS ON SOLID MECHANICS.
bro I am a mechanical engineer working in a MNC as a Test Engineer. I am less interested in coding and I am not good at it also. I am...
The latest Strontium atomic clock is all set to break the world record by keeping accurate time for the next several billion years. Of course none of us would be...
CrazyEngineers.com began its online journey as an Internet Forum and discussions have been at the heart of our venture. New research by journal 'Computers in Human Behavior' suggests that Internet...