New math problem!

Assume that each statement is either true or false. What is the
unknown (whole) number from the following possibly
false statements:

1. At least one of the last two statements in this list is true.
  2. This is either the first true or the first false statement in the list.
  3. There exist three consecutive false statements.
  4. The difference beween the numbers of the last true statement and the first true statement is a factor of the unknown number.
  5. The sum of the numbers of the true statements is the unknown number.
  6. This is not the last true statement.
  7. Each true statement's number is a factor of the unknown number.
  8. The unknown number equals the percentage of these statements which are true.
  9. The number of different factors which the unknown number has (excluding 1 and itself) is more than the sum of the numbers of the true statements.
  10. There are no three cosecutive true statements.
What is the number? ๐Ÿ˜‰

-Crook-

Replies

• integratdbrains
    integratdbrains
    God forgive me for i cannot answer crooks question!! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • aditi
    aditi
    plz provide some clue..
  • crook
    crook
    I don't have a clue ๐Ÿ˜”

Try please

Crook
  • aashima
    aashima
    ahh...

goshhhhhhhh, i am happy enough that i could reach till the end of question!!! answer pleez.
  • aditi
    aditi
    plz give the answer crook
    a long time has passed away..
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    By 2, either way 1 must be false, and then so must both 9 and 10.

6, if false, says "This is the last true statement", which gives a paradox, thus
    6 must be true, and so must 7 and/or 8.

7 and 8 cannot both be true, as the number had to be a multiple of 6,7,8 , that is a multiple of 168 (by 7), and less than 100 (by 8)

If 8 is false, then 3 is true (8,9,10 is false), if 8 is true, then 3 is false (3 cannot be true when both 6 and 8 are true, then there are no three consecutive statements left).

So we have either
    A) F X F X X T F T F F or B) F X T X X T T F F F

In A), 4 and 5 must be true (by false 10), and 2 may be true or false. So by 5 the number shall be either 27 (2+3+4+5+6+7) or 25 (3+4+5+6+7). None of these can fulfill 8, though, so A) is out leaving us with B)

Now, (by 7) 3,6 and 7 are factors, the number must be a multiple of 42, as 2+3+4+5+6+7=27, 5 must be false.

By false 10, 2 and 4 must be true, that is 5 shall be a multiple of the number. Now the number must be a multiple of 2,3,4,5,6 and 7, that is a multiple of 3*4*5*7=420. 420 has 22 different factors

(2,3,4,5,6,7,10,12,14,15,20,21,28,30,35,42,60,70,84,105,140,210) and the sum 2+3+4+6+7 = 22, so the only multiple of 420 that fulfills false 9 is 420.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    ===============================================

come again?

===============================================
  • edie4someone
    edie4someone
    do people in this thread have real lives?
  • crook
    crook
    edie4someone
    do people in this thread have real lives?
    You still doubt? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Jerry
    blah... yak yak....blah blah blaah..

...blah

... ... ...etc

By false 10, 2 and 4 must be true, that is 5 shall be a multiple of the number. Now the number must be a multiple of 2,3,4,5,6 and 7, that is a multiple of 3*4*5*7=420. 420 has 22 different factors

(2,3,4,5,6,7,10,12,14,15,20,21,28,30,35,42,60,70,84,105,140,210) and the sum 2+3+4+6+7 = 22, so the only multiple of 420 that fulfills false 9 is 420.
    So is Jerry correct????
  • deepesh1
    deepesh1
    42??
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What in the world is the answer
  • deepesh1
    deepesh1
    Only crook can tell!!
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Is the answer 5040..๐Ÿ˜ณ, I think 1,8,9,10 were false...
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is a age old thread! But the question is very good!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone! while you read this new post get a cup of coffee to really enjoy it!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am posting here a story which has made a lasting impression...
Hi All, At very now...we 6 are on line... Me, Neha, Admin, Aasima, Aditi and Integratdbrains I want to talk to some of these buddies....how will I... Either there should...
Friends! Did you check out your Browser's address bar? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Notice the 'CE' icon ๐Ÿ˜ ! Its called 'Favicon'. I hope you like it. -The Big K-
Hello everyone We have a thread for guitar,novels,piano etc etc....but why don't we have the thread for internet??....i think thats the reason y we are here...So i just thought of...
So you demanded it ! ๐Ÿ˜€ Check out the bottom of our forums for the AJAX enabled shoutbox ๐Ÿ˜. Now you can chat with the CEans in real time. The...