New Idea: Air Compressor Engines

recently i read an article on engines that work on compressed air.ie.they use only air as fuel.
these engines have so many advantages that some years from now,sureshot they are going to rule automotive industry.
but as of now there are many difficulties to be tackled with.
and one usual difficulty faced by all innovations is bringing the working model in the lab to common man usage:?:
so,what i ask s is to list some of the ways through which we can bring about a change in the approach to tackle this issue!
let me start it myself:
my idea to tackle this issue is instead of introducing the newer version into the market try to modify the existing one in such way that it works under the new concept.
for example,it would be great if we can modify the existing IC engine into the air-compressor one.in which case:*people need not discard their existing vehicle to shift to the new technology*immediate shift from old technology to newer one[infact u may call it a revolution]*most importantly great reduction in pollution😁 inturn contributing to reduction in global warming!!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: Air Compressor Engines

rosh009
    recently i read an article on engines that work on compressed air.ie.they use only air as fuel.
    these engines have so many advantages that some years from now,sureshot they are going to rule automotive industry.
    but as of now there are many difficulties to be tackled with.
    and one usual difficulty faced by all innovations is bringing the working model in the lab to common man usage:?:
    so,what i ask s is to list some of the ways through which we can bring about a change in the approach to tackle this issue!
    let me start it myself:
    my idea to tackle this issue is instead of introducing the newer version into the market try to modify the existing one in such way that it works under the new concept.
    for example,it would be great if we can modify the existing IC engine into the air-compressor one.in which case:*people need not discard their existing vehicle to shift to the new technology*immediate shift from old technology to newer one[infact u may call it a revolution]*most importantly great reduction in pollution😁 inturn contributing to reduction in global warming!!!
    Boy o Boy! That's something similar to what I wanted to see on CE. I'm sure we are off to a great start 😀 . I request all CEans to take this up and get started. We may contact colleges/labs/companies to actually get this 'Done'.

Mechanical Engineers! Get Started! 😁

-The Big K-
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Thats an excellent idea, but how do 'you' propose we make this possible?!

1. What research have you done on this topic?

2. What changes do you propose to the existing engines so that it can accept compressed air as fuel?

3. What will be the cost requirement to implement this idea.

4. will it be safe to just incorporate it to the existing design?

These are a few questions I have asked so it is easier for us CE'ns to carry on with the creative reasoning and coming up with good solutions.

Cmon guys, this is a good topic, look into it a bit more!
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    xheavenlyx
    Thats an excellent idea, but how do 'you' propose we make this possible?!

1. What research have you done on this topic?

2. What changes do you propose to the existing engines so that it can accept compressed air as fuel?

3. What will be the cost requirement to implement this idea.

4. will it be safe to just incorporate it to the existing design?

These are a few questions I have asked so it is easier for us CE'ns to carry on with the creative reasoning and coming up with good solutions.

Cmon guys, this is a good topic, look into it a bit more!
    1.well!as such i havenot done any research on it.
    2.i'm still finding out the changes in the existing one.once i feel i've covered all the requirements i'll post it.
    3/4.and regarding cost requirementand safety,i feel first up we need to explore all posible ways to implement this idea no matter what the costs are.
    once,we finish exploring those possibilities,then we can choose the most economical and the more safer one among them.

and yes xheavenlyx,this is an important topic because with global warming escalating and the atomic clock ringing danger music,its high time that we stand up and contribute in someway or the other to "STOP THIS TORMENTOR CALLED GLOBAL WARMING BEFORE IT STOPS US!"
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    "STOP THIS TORMENTOR CALLED GLOBAL WARMING BEFORE IT STOPS US!"
    umm, is that US or U.S. ? (no pun intended, seriously)

1.well!as such i haven't done any research on it.
    2.i'm still finding out the changes in the existing one.once i feel i've covered all the requirements i'll post it.
    Well, for one thing, research is very important, and by that i mean study the present design characteristics that is specific to the pistons, valves etc.

Some points that i could think of is:

-valve sizes are important, and their pressure handling capacities. You could use steam as you suggested. However, know that its very possible that this type could be immensely inefficient as compared to a deisel and petrol one. Thats the reason we use Gasoline.

I am not being pessimistic, just critical. Its good since you can work harder to disprove this theory.

Another thing I'd suggest you to look into is the idea of Efficient Electrical systems, which can be a combo of Solar, Battery (Li-ion, CdNi etc), Fuel-cell etc. Which are way more efficient.

But as you had already pointed out, you want a system which customizes and improves the present system. So the above suggestion can be avoided at your discretion 😀

Keep on reading, writing and thinking. Good luck!
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    Good going friends. Mechanical engineers should participate. I have asked one of my friends to look into this. Hes been working with engines since last 2 decades.
  • TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    OK OK OK....

PURE STUFF.. IS'NT IT GUYZ....

LET ME EXPLAIN YOU THE MATTER IT IS CONSIDERED WITH... ACTUALLY THIS IS AN INITIATIVE FROM A GERMAN WHO STUDIED STEAM ENGINES A LOT. AFTER THAT AS A TYPICAL STEAM ENGINE LAYOUT HE HAD A DESIGN FOR A COMPRESSED AIR ENGINE. IE. IT HAS ONE OPENING FOR COMPRESSED AIR WITH TWO CHAMBERS. THE AIR ENTERS THE FIRST CHAMBER AND MOVERS THE FLUCTRUM TOWARDS THE OTHER AND DUE TO THAT THE FIRST ONE IS CLOSED AND THE 2ND ONE OPENS AND IT ALSO DO THE SAME AND GET ITSELF CLOSED AND MOVES THE FLUCTRUM TO 1ST .. THIS RESULTS IN A TYPICAL RECIPROCATING MOTION AND RESULTS TO A 0.5 STROKE ENGINE WITH A PERFECT POWER OUTPUT.

( I WILL PROVIDE YOU THE DRAWING SOON)

BUT SINCE THIS IS MECHANICAL.... PROBLEMS DO RAISE (joking)

IT CAN PRODUCE AN EVEN BUT LEES TORQUE BUT VEY POOR IN BRAKE POWER. IT PRACTICALLY CARRIED 5 HEN OF .75 KG EACH. THIS IS THE RESULT. OTHERWISE BEFORE THE INVENTION OF COMBUSTION IGNITION ENGINES ONLY, PEOPLE HAD MANY DREAMS ON THIS CONCEPT. ANY WAY GUYS... HAVE YOUR BRAINS MUCH MORE SHARPER... ANY MORE DOUBTS ..LEAVE U R REPLIES HERE...
  • fun6630
    fun6630
    pls elaborate this topic by giving some external website links
  • amangupta
    amangupta
    I think it is a great idea of bringing the revolution in automobile industry bu using the air compressor on behalf i.c. engines.

According to my idea we can do something like this: -

😎first of all the engine get started by the same method as of i.c. engines & after picking up the speed we can use the air that is striking to the vehicle as the fuel for compressor (because the coming air has got a very high kinetic energy). the high K.E. air will strike the blades of the compressor and ultimately supply the extra torque to the vehicles.

This method can greatly reduce the load on the small engine's and can tackle the more load then the existing one.

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
  • GearHead
    GearHead
    A friend of mine thought of this years ago and though he had THE SOLUTION... I had to explain to him that it takes energy to compress the air, and when you consider the loss via friction, there is an energy deficit, meaning a compressed air engine will ultimately cost more. If compressed gas was the easily captured waste by-product of a lot of industrial processes, it might be a different story... Then consider storage; it is the current debate regarding hydrogen vehicles, how to store it in as small a space as possible; with compressed gas, the range (if the compressed gas were to be where the gas tank was) is only a few miles.
  • furkan_ims
    furkan_ims
    hi,i think compressed air engine is just like CNG engines,compressed air can be made out of the engine in any factory.after that we can use that in engine
  • ajaxvarun
    ajaxvarun
    hey let's get many more people together to work this out. many people like me don't know much about this so pls try and post some links or material we can use to gain knowledge.
    thanx for starting such a great topic this has really caught my imagination.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Hre's a few links for you to get started:

This French company builds compressed air cars they are by far the current leader in this technology: #-Link-Snipped-#

engines #-Link-Snipped-#

This company makes a pnuematic/electric hybrid car #-Link-Snipped-#

even Tata motors is starting to get into it via mdi Tata Motors Signs Agreement with MDI for Compressed Air Engine - Green Car Congress

#-Link-Snipped-#

ajaxvarun
    hey let's get many more people together to work this out. many people like me don't know much about this so pls try and post some links or material we can use to gain knowledge.
    thanx for starting such a great topic this has really caught my imagination.
  • Nidhinkoroth
    Nidhinkoroth
    Hi all...

After a long gap...I am back to this forum .

Here is a small update from my side. This is designed by me and my friends as our mini project (Not completed ) .We have to complete this before june last week .

- YouTube

- YouTube
    comments are welcome...
  • gohm
    gohm
    Welcome back and more importantly thank you for the vids
  • cshmech
    cshmech
    have you guys ever heard of "Zero Pollution Motors"??
  • kalyanaraman.s
    kalyanaraman.s
    tata motor is introducing a practical air powered car

Tata Moto r s to int r oduce Ai r Ca r - Is it the next big thing?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Tata Moto r s is taking giant st r ides and making histo r y fo r itself. Fi r st the Land r ove r -Jagua r deal, then the Secret is out ! 1 Lakh car Tata Nano unveiled – First look ! – Trak.in – Indian Business of Tech, Mobile & Startups and now it is also set to int r oduce the ca r that r uns on ai r , comp r essed ai r to be specific.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

With fuel p r ices touching nea r ly $150 pe r ba r r el, it is about time we hea r d some b r eakth r ough!
    India 's la r gest automake r Tata Moto r s is set to sta r t p r oducing the wo r ld's fi r st comme r cial ai r -powe r ed vehicle. The Ai r Ca r , developed by ex-Fo r mula One enginee r Guy Nèg r e fo r Luxembou r g-based MDI, uses comp r essed ai r , as opposed to the gas-and-oxygen explosions of inte r nal-combustion models, to push its engine's pistons. Some 6000 ze r o-emissions Ai r Ca r s a r e scheduled to hit Indian st r eets by August of 2009.

The Ai r Ca r , called the MiniCAT could cost a r ound Rs. 3,50,000 ($ 8177) in India and would have a r ange of a r ound 300 km between r efuels.

The cost of a r efill would be about Rs. 85 ($ 2). Tata moto r s also plans to launch the wo r ld's cheapest ca r , Tata Nano p r iced famously at One lakh r upees by Octobe r .

The MiniCAT which is a simple, light u r ban ca r , with a tubula r chassis that is glued not welded and a body of fibe r glass powe r ed by comp r essed ai r . Mic r ocont r olle r s a r e used in eve r y device in the ca r , so one tiny r adio t r ansmitte r sends inst r uctions to the lights, indicato r s etc.

The r e a r e no keys - just an access ca r d which can be r ead by the ca r f r om you r pocket. Acco r ding to the designe r s, it costs less than 50 r upees pe r 100Km (about a tenth that of a pet r ol ca r ). Its mileage is about double that of the most advanced elect r ic ca r (200 to 300 km o r 10 hou r s of d r iving), a facto r which makes a pe r fect choice in cities whe r e the 80% of moto r ists d r ive at less than 60Km. The ca r has a top speed of 105 kmph. Refilling the ca r will, once the ma r ket develops, take place at adapted pet r ol stations to administe r comp r essed ai r . In two o r th r ee minutes, and at a cost of app r oximately 100 r upees, the ca r will be r eady to go anothe r 200-300 kilomete r s.

#-Link-Snipped-#

As a viable alte r native, the ca r ca r r ies a small comp r esso r which can be connected to the mains (220V o r 380V) and r efill the tank in 3-4 hou r s. Due to the absence of combustion and, consequently, of r esidues, changing the oil (1 lit r e of vegetable oil) is necessa r y only eve r y 50,000Km.] The tempe r atu r e of the clean ai r expelled by the exhaust pipe is between 0-15 deg r ees below ze r o, which makes it suitable fo r use by the inte r nal ai r conditioning system with no need fo r gases o r loss of powe r
  • geococeo
    geococeo
    you folks are AWESOME!!
    i have two cents
    any one can turn their own very small(weedwacker or rc car) engine into a compressed air engine by buying electronic high psi pneumatic solenoid
    valves and hooking them up directly to the intake port on these small engines, then just supply compressed air via a tank and hook the solenoid up to the spark plug wire! perfectly timed mini compressed air engine!
    these small engines can run on a low psi, at a level reasonable for anyone to generate at home. surely you could do this with a gm 350 but you would need a ridiculously high psi to move that clunker through the strokes.
    so generally i think this is a great idea for low torque applications right now, perhaps a good project would be an old vw boxer motor(the one subaru designs all their current passenger ICE's after) these engines are tiny, they cant weigh much more than two hundred pounds all put together and i imagine you could replace lots of parts like pistons with a lighter material because of the lack of heat based combustion!!
    yeahhh!!!
  • crazybinay
    crazybinay
    Is this kind of engine really feasible practically ?Does any working model of air driven engine exist today......if yes then what is it's effiency.

pls reply....

i want to do a minor project on it

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anybody precisely explain the working of a heat amplifier?:roll:
Hi my dear friends. Can anyboudy tell me wat is wi-fi connection???? plzz😁
Hey guys is it possible in microsoft windows vista that pen drive can be use as a RAM. There is a feature in windows vista that can use ur fast...
[FONT=verdana,geneva]😁Surprise 😁 [/FONT]​[FONT=verdana,geneva]CEans![/FONT] [FONT=verdana,geneva] [/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]Welcome to CE - Downloads![/FONT] [FONT=verdana,geneva]We have been thinking too hard lately about how to 'create value' through CE. Good news is that, we have no...
Hey guys I had bought a 160 gb laptop harddisk and put a casing on it (so that I can use it as usb and its small so it is...