New GRE (Revised) Text Completion Sample Questions - I

1. It is refreshing to read a book about our planet by an author who does not allow facts to be (i)__________ by politics: well aware of the political disputes about the effects of human activities on climate and biodiversity, this author does not permit them to (ii)__________ his comprehensive description of what we know about our biosphere. He emphasizes the enormous gaps in our knowledge, the sparseness of our observations, and the (iii)__________, calling attention to the many aspects of planetary evolution that must be better understood before we can accurately diagnose the condition of our planet.

Blank (i)
(A) overshadowed, (B) invalidated, (C) illuminated

Blank (ii) (D) enhance, (E) obscure, (F) underscore

Blank (iii)
(G) plausibility of our hypotheses, (H) certainty of our entitlement, (I) superficiality of our theories

2. Vain and prone to violence, Caravaggio could not handle success: the more his (i)__________ as an artist increased, the more (ii)__________ his life became.

Blank (i) (A) temperance, (B) notoriety, (C) eminence
Blank (ii) (D) tumultuous, (E) providential, (F) dispassionate

3. In parts of the Arctic, the land grades into the landfast ice so _______ that you can walk off the coast and not know you are over the hidden sea.

(A) permanently, (B) imperceptibly, (C) irregularly, (D) precariously, (E) slightly

Replies

• gretaker
    gretaker
    Re: New GRE (Revised) Text Completion Sample Questions

Attempt:

1. A , E , I

2. C, D

3. B

Can you post the correct answers. Thanks in advance.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

@gretaker: Bingo! All the answers are correct.
  • gretaker
    gretaker

😀

@AbraKaDabra Can u post a pool a such questions for practice? Will really appreaciate it.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

@gretaker: Yeah sure. I will try to make a collection of questions in this thread.

Here are a few more:

1. Endothelial cell dysfunction is emerging as an ultimate (i)___________ for cardiovascular disease, yet the definition of this new syndrome, its physiology, and therapy remain (ii)___________ by a majority of physicians across the globe.

Blank (i)
    (A) proponent (B) edifice (C) culprit
    Blank (ii)
    (D) poorly defined (E) egregiously managed (F) largely misunderstood

2. Filmography, like discography, is an ___________ science, requiring considerable research and verification of suggested facts; results will always be variable.

A. exacting
    B. imperceptible
    C. autonomous
    D. enterprising
    E. imprecise

3. In 2005, The American Physiological Society initiated The Living History of Physiology Project to recognize senior members who have made (i)___________ contributions during their career to the (ii)___________of the discipline and profession of physiology. Each Eminent Physiologist will be interviewed for (iii)___________, and the video tape will be available from the American Physiological Society Headquarters.

Blank (i) (A) extraordinary (B) ostensible (C) pragmatic

Blank (ii) (D) impetus (E) progression (F) displacement

Blank (iii) (G) dispersement (H) placement (I) posterity
  • gretaker
    gretaker

Try:

1. C , F

2. E

3. A, E, H

@AbraKaDabra Thanks. It'll help us all
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

You got all of them correct but one.

3rd solution is: A, E and I.
  • gretaker
    gretaker

Oh Thanks. Can you explain it to me ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Yeah sure.

The first choice doesn't make sense at all, whereas both H and I could potentially work.

However, to decide between the two, you have to choose the word that most logically makes sense.

Would the Eminent Physiologists be videotaped to determine if they should be awarded? Probably not.
    Chances are good someone would video tape them for posterity, choice I, to benefit future generations.
  • gretaker
    gretaker

Thanks. Got it now.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Although it does contain some pioneering ideas, one would hardly characterize the work as __________. orthodox eccentric original trifling conventional innovative It was her view that the country's problems had...
MUMBAI: Even before this year's freshmen enter the Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi, some others will be pushed to pick up etiquette lessons required to live on the tech school campus....
As we know AWA section measures your ability to construct and evaluate arguments. Revised AWA is not much changed except that the time limit for issue essay will be 30...
Registered Windows Phone developers now have access to a beta build of Windows Phone Mango, the major upgrade to the smartphone operating system that's due in fall. The beta build...
The latest version of Apple's Mac OS X operating system supports the TRIM command, which allows built-to-order systems with solid-state drives (SSDs) to perform more optimally. According to Mac Rumors,...