New Final Year Project Idea For Engineering Students: Automatic ON/OFF Street Lights

The aim of this project would be to build a system that automatically turns ON the street lights when it's dark and automatically turns OFF the street lights when it's sufficiently bright. 😀

I am sure this is not a very new idea. But I don't think it's implemented in major cities across India. What might the reason be?
Nevertheless, your project could be the new head-turner.

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Re: New Final Year Project Idea For Engineering Students: Automatic ON/OFF Street Lig

The main reason is the cost of the Light Dependent Resistor and the Maintenance involved in it. As we know, these electricians and government employees are really lazy (with reference to the real life experience and also the movie Anniyan), they do not encourage to work by themselves and they need some pressure. Even then, its an incomplete work by them. I have seen in the local train stations, the LCD TVs been launched, within few months, most of them are damaged, either by throwing stones or the glass been removed. This is the situation here. (Ref: Kodambakkam Rly Station, Chennai). So, how do you think will it be possible?

But I have an idea. In Chennai, there are few places, where the entry will be restricted to very few people. Like colonies and flats, we can start implementing this idea in these places and slowly in and around. Making people aware and implementing it with the help of the EB people, I guess this is possible. 😀
  • buzzparas
    buzzparas
    Re: New Final Year Project Idea For Engineering Students: Automatic ON/OFF Street Lig

@abra ka dabra

photovolatic cell or photoelectric cell does exactly what you are asking about, it is used to switch on and off the lights depending upon sunlight penetration.

i suggest you not to go for this project untill and unless you are implementing somewhere(college,roads,campus) to showoff, as this is very basic project(i made it when i was in 10th standard) not recommended for Engineering Grads
  • crazysandy
    crazysandy

Its all about the maintenance of these sensors, Practically it wont be a feasible idea in a dusty environment as there are chances that because of the covering up of the sensor there will be false triggering i.e, un-necessary switching ON of your street lamps. And in few areas there will be no light penetration near the pole area, so the placement and security of sensors is an issue here. Thats the reason of the failure of sensor based controlling. The better way for controlling is a remote way of doing it. And there are few public private partnerships which are happening around in india.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

AbraKaDabra
    The aim of this project would be to build a system that automatically turns ON the street lights when it's dark and automatically turns OFF the street lights when it's sufficiently bright. 😀

I am sure this is not a very new idea. But I don't think it's implemented in major cities across India. What might the reason be?
    Nevertheless, your project could be the new head-turner.
    The Same system is applied here in Vadodara, and they are controlling the Street light based on the GPRS command LDR and other things are not much reliable thats why they are controlling through GPRS.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

Right now i have completed testing on RFM70 now i am planning to working on a System of Street Light control using the Same if company gets some customer.
  • crazysandy
    crazysandy

What is the range you are achieving using this module?? And what is the communication process from your remote station?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IBM Research - India invites applications for its 2011 Summer Internship Program in Computer Science, Mathematical Sciences, Cyber-Physical Systems, as well as SSME (Services Science and Management Engineering), at its...
A friend of mine who took the GRE exam on Feb 2011 had a score of 1000, whereas during the mock tests his score was 1300 and above. Verbal-300 Quants-700...
The Extreme Blueâ„¢ program is IBM's premier internship program for top-notch students pursuing software development and MBA degrees. Once selected into the program, you will become part of a team...
Hello friends, I am thinking to implement a project illustrating the working of voice recognition door lock system.for this i want to use MATLAB for speech processing.i am not able...
Samsung unveiled Samsung Galaxy Pro few minutes ago at Singapore. Here are the technical specifications of the phone - 1. Android Froyo 2. 3 MP Camera 3. 800 MHz processor...