New Column over Existing Foundation OR Floating Column?

Dear All,

I need a solution for creating a column free space in the function hall of a proposed hotel. The function hall comes at a lower level of the building and has 6 floors of hotel rooms on top it and a lobby and a basement floor below it. It demands removal of certain obstructing columns and I can only think of two ways of doing it. Kindly look at the attached sketch which explains everything in detail.

The change in location of the function hall is not a solution as this location offers other benefits. If there is any other solution apart from the ones mentioned in the attached drawing kindly share it with me.

Replies

• Mohamed Amir
    Mohamed Amir
    I think it's better to make new columns rested on embedded beam and design it carefully
  • rekcah
    rekcah
    dear maverick,

your proposal location of columns in your drawing is the best solution,
    just increase the size of your column parallel to the width of the building
    and design the beam as steel truss so that you can avoid the large deflection
    and can minimize the depth of your beam.

rekcah

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi there is a new development in fighting malaria https://www.technologyreview.com/vie...-way-to-spot-malaria-using-light-and-magnets/ my question is.... why india which is reeling under these problems find solutions?? we have huge problems right from malaria,...
So Apple launched the iPhone 5 with much fanfare and stupid Maps application that won't work in India. Despite its shortcomings, there are several Indians who've been saving their hard...
Think this has already gone cold but how about giving a new life to it The odd semester exams are around the corner and I know for sure that we...
I am an undergraduate student studying towards an MEng degree in Civil Engineering at the University of Glasgow. As part of my 4th year dissertation I am looking into roof...
When I was young I used to watch POGO.In the jukebox they play several songs repeatedly. One such song has caught my mind back then and now I suddenly felt...