networking titbits: vlans and no vlans

ok, here is the scenario

pc1<-->sw1<-->sw2<-->pc2
1)will ping from pc1 to pc2 work?? why?
2)i configure pc1<-->sw1 interface in vlan 100 and sw1's interface to sw2 interface in vlan 100, but not vice versa ie Sw2 to Sw1 interface has no associated vlan
i DONT configure sw2<-->pc2 interface in vlan 100, now will my ping work??

Replies

• Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    1. In non-vlan scenario it will work provided that the PC1 and PC2 have same ip address range i.e. network address (subnet) remains same. Reason is switch is layer 2 device and it will have same broadcast domain even if switches are interconnected.

2. In the scenario the vlan is configured for PC1 that is be terminated on sw1 port that is part of vlan100 and the PC2 and its corresponding port is not part of any vlan , that means PC2 is part of vlan0. Generally if the port is not part of any vlan than it is supposed to be part of vlan0. Also the ip range of vlan100 will be different from other vlan and hence any traffic that has to travel between 2 vlans has to go through router and the traffic rules allowed on router.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Rahul,
    IN scenario 1, sinc everything are on same network the pings will happen.
    In second case, I have not menioned any presence of router. I am not talking about a scenario where the two PCs are in different LANs and you might want to implement router on stick, I am talking about the two PCs being in same network.
    This is more of L2 issue than of L3.
    As per my observation and tests, The pings will be just fine.
    VLAN is basically a broadcast domain local to a switch, SW1 though has its outgoing port to SW2 in vlan 100, any packet recieved for VLAN 100 will be sent to this interface, but unless and until the link between SW1 and SW2 is configured as a truck , this vlan ID holds no importance for the other siwtch.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Government Of Maharashtra, India has undertaken an ambitious project to solve the traffic problems faced by Mumbai; the financial capital of India. The Mumbai Metro project is interesting in...
Hey guys and girls, Will a certificate course in Microsoft Office or Primavera be of any help to me if i plan to continue in the core mechanical fields like...
Busan Tower construction is in full swing at Busan in South Korea. Also known as Busan Lotte World Tower, the 110 floor building is expected to be the world's 5th...
The New Transit Yurikamome (formerly called Tokyo Waterfront New Transit Waterfront Line) is an automated guideway transit, Tokyo's first fully automated transit system, sometimes mistaken as a monorail but the...
The latest update to the Google maps & latitude app has secretly introduced a new feature to the Latitude. It now displays a leaderboards for the points collected on check-ins;...