Need some serious career advice for final year Engineering student

Hi,
I'm a final year CS Engineering student studying in Bangalore under VTU & I'm at crossroads where I seriously don't know what to do with my life.

A brief intro about my academic profile:
10th - 60%
12th - 57%
Engineering - 61%

As it's obvious, I haven't been eligible for most of the IT companies due to my poor 12th grade performance. On top of that (and this one really blows all my chances of ever being successful), I have a gap of 3 years in my education (between 10th & 11th).

For this very reason, I have been rejected many times from all those opportunities that a random engineering student with an average IQ can easily avail.

However, I have been placed in Amazon as a Transaction Risk Management Service recently & and my joining date is on 30th of April, 2016. Problem with this is, as I researched about the TRMS post of Amazon, I got to know that it literally had no growth. On top of that it's really not something I'm interested in. I'm more into Software Development & if there's anything I can see myself doing for the next 5 years, it's nothing but coding some really cool stuff for a company that pays well.

However, I have no actual coding job in my pocket right now. All I have is this offer from Amazon and a boat-load of pressure from my family.

I will graduate in July this year & I'm really confused as to what to do. So I have the following questions:

1. If I get an internship at a Tech company in Bangalore as a Software intern, should I go for it leaving Amazon behind? Question of uncertainty is, what if after the completion of my internship, I still remain unemployed?

1. If I do get into Amazon & work there as a TRMS guy, is it going to be possible for me to switch to Software Development industry (either in Amazon or in any company)?

2. While working as a TRMS guy in Amazon, if I happen to find a job after a year, will I still be considered a fresher & given equal chance as a fresher or will I be one year behind the fresher, making my overall situation even worse?

3. I was thinking of taking up the eLitmus & AmCat exams. What I'm wondering is, even if I manage to get decent scores, will not my 12th percentage coupled with 3 years gap hinder my chances of getting into a good company?

4. What improvements does my profile need in order to grab a software employer's attention such as he overlooks my poor performance? Will learning new programming languages help the situation?

I'm extremely sorry for this lengthy post but I really need some helpful advice!!

Thank you for your time
Arijit Banerjee

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's not quite often that we see a well written question. Thank you for that!

Arijit Banerjee
    I'm extremely sorry for this lengthy post
    Don't be. The more you write, the more we understand your situation so that it's easier for us to offer help.

Arijit Banerjee
    I'm more into Software Development & if there's anything I can see myself doing for the next 5 years, it's nothing but coding some really cool stuff for a company that pays well.
    You already know where your interests are and that's a big plus. I do not think you need to worry at all. You already have a job offer in hand and you should accept it. Earning money will not only give you a confidence boost; but at the same time; you will be more determined to find the job of your dreams. So use all the things that you think are 'negative' as your fuel to move in the right direction.

You already are in the city with plenty of young companies (startups) that'd be willing to give you a chance based upon your 'skills' than academic qualifications. Here's one action plan you should follow -
    • Get up early in the morning, do some exercise and meditation.
    • Gather all your energies and start working your ass off to make yourself awesome in programming language , tool, scripting language of your choice.
    • Continue this even after you join Amazon. Build a portfolio of projects that you can proudly show to recruiters.
    • Say no to WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter and all other excuses. If it demands, sleep for 2 hours lesser.
    • Shamelessly pitch to all the HRs, recruiters, CEOs of startups to give you a chance. You can meet these guys at startup events; which happen on daily basis in Bangalore.
    • If the right opportunity strikes, grab it without thinking about money. As long as the salary pays for breakfast, lunch and dinner - you're all good.
    • You've now achieved your first milestone - you're now an industry 'insider'.
    • Develop your skill-set, learn as much as you can for the next 2 years (yes, it's a long time; but totally worth it).
    • By now, your friends will have better salary, awesome facebook profile photos, salary packages and EMIs to match their status. You stay away from loans and EMIs.
    • You only focus on making yourself awesome.
    • You make a switch, command your package with a funded, 'cool' company.
    • Everybody envies you. You sleep well, thinking about how following a good advice changed your life forever.
    All the best!
  • T N S SAI SRINIVAS
    T N S SAI SRINIVAS
    Kaustubh Katdare

Don't be. The more you write, the more we understand your situation so that it's easier for us to offer help.

You already know where your interests are and that's a big plus. I do not think you need to worry at all. You already have a job offer in hand and you should accept it. Earning money will not only give you a confidence boost; but at the same time; you will be more determined to find the job of your dreams. So use all the things that you think are 'negative' as your fuel to move in the right direction.

You already are in the city with plenty of young companies (startups) that'd be willing to give you a chance based upon your 'skills' than academic qualifications. Here's one action plan you should follow -
    • Gather all your energies and start working your ass off to make yourself awesome in programming language , tool, scripting language of your choice.
    • Continue this even after you join Amazon. Build a portfolio of projects that you can proudly show to recruiters.
    • Say no to WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter and all other excuses. If it demands, sleep for 2 hours lesser.
    • Shamelessly pitch to all the HRs, recruiters, CEOs of startups to give you a chance. You can meet these guys at startup events; which happen on daily basis in Bangalore.
    • If the right opportunity strikes, grab it without thinking about money. As long as the salary pays for breakfast, lunch and dinner - you're all good.
    • Develop your skill-set, learn as much as you can for the next 2 years (yes, it's a long time; but totally worth it).
    • By now, your friends will have better salary, awesome facebook profile photos, salary packages and EMIs to match their status. You stay away from loans and EMIs.
    • Everybody envies you. You sleep well, thinking about how following a good advice changed your life forever.
    All the best!
    Thank you Arijith for asking question and thank you Kaustub sir for advising , you guys have solved my problem too 😀
  • Arijit Banerjee
    Arijit Banerjee
    Kaustubh Katdare

All the best!
    Thank you very much for your answer Mr. Katdare.
  • Niel kshtriya
    Niel kshtriya
    Arijit Banerjee- i'm facing the same situation in which I have 3years gap for pursuing my bachelor in (IT)...Right now I m a final year student and desperately seeking for job ....
    My academic performance
    10th-80%
    12th-59%
    Overall average of all three years -50%
    I know basics of languages and i've done core Java training also and now i'm thinking to get certification in hadoop ,so guys is it helpful for me to get job or not?Or what should I do to get good job ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Amidst all the local hullabaloo on this in the media and houses of Parliament, here is an article from Wash U of St.Louis, USA: Wash. U. Stands with JNU |...
Quote: Engineering World Health’s Biomedical Instrumentation Kits are educational tools only and are not to be used for any other purpose, including any medical, diagnostic or other laboratory applications. Endquote...
Quote: This week’s video comes from the US where the latest version of Boston Dynamics’ Atlas robot is experiencing some very shoddy behaviour from its handlers. Endquote
At the ongoing Mobile World Congress we saw the unveiling of 2-in-1 Windows 10 devices such as the Huawei Matebook and Alcatel PLUS 10. While those devices were on the...
I am asked to take a 2 hour class about GTO thyristor -controlled series capacitors, i hav rummaged thru all books, websites and wat not ! But i want to...