Need help regarding building a mechanical robot

Hello,
The task that this robot is supposed to perform is: It has to carry some balls and move from the starting line to the finish line, drop the balls there and come back..All without use of any battery. Only by the use of mechanical potential energy(gravitational and elastic).
Here is my idea. I want you to tell me if it is feasible, economical and executable. Or whether I'm idealising things too much..

A mass kept at a height will fall and this is connected to a pulley. Thus, a string is pulled and this string is connected to the axle of the wheel of the robot. Thus the wheel turns and the robot moves forward. The mass falls on one side of a see-saw and the other side contains the box of balls. It will tilt( it is hinged) and all the balls will fall. For the coming back part, I want to use a torsional spring which has already stored energy and upon reaching the finish line, it gets activated and forces the robot to move in the opposite direction.

Please give me suggestions, criticisms. Anything will do.
Thank you, in advance.

YellowSubmarine.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to CE Robotics section 😀
  • yellowsubmarine
    yellowsubmarine
    Please reply, people...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Try something on these lines. The trolley can be at the top of an inclined track. This is kept here by a weight (just more than the trolley weight on the inclined plane) at the end of a string passing over a pulley at the track end and attached to the trolley. The trolley has a bin with a sideways sloping bottom with a door on the lower edge of the slope held by a latch and hinged along the top edge.
    Load the Balls on the trolley. The additional weight of the balls will make the trolley go down the track.

When it reaches the bottom a trigger or pin lifts the latch, the balls slide down and out sideways pushing the top hinged door open. The trolley reverses by the now raised counterweight coming down. Once the trolley reaches the top position the door can be latched and the next cycle started.
  • yellowsubmarine
    yellowsubmarine
    Ok, Sir, thank you.
  • jobinvcm
    jobinvcm
    got a small problem are you intending it to be fully automatic.
  • yellowsubmarine
    yellowsubmarine
    Yeah. I'm not allowed to touch the thing after triggering it at the start.
  • yellowsubmarine
    yellowsubmarine
    Can you please tell me how to fix an axle to the L-clamp(which is fixed to the chassis), such that it is able to rotate, but not move sideways?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    yellowsubmarine
    Can you please tell me how to fix an axle to the L-clamp(which is fixed to the chassis), such that it is able to rotate, but not move sideways?
    I am not quite sure if this is what you are loooking for.
    Try using a stepped axle with the central portion having a diameter larger than the hole in the clamp. The length of this portion will be the distance between the holes in the clamp minus the thickness of two washers and a small clearance to allow free rotation without much lateral play.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, You all might be knowing that for harnessing solar energy, we need mirrors. So breaking the present perception, scientists at MIT have invented of course only theoretically a material...
Hi friends in this semester i have a Technical Seminar.So i need your valuable suggestions about new trends and technologies in CSE.
I realized the importance of tubeless tiers today. I had to drive out of station and on the highway, I discovered a tiny little screw sticking in the front-left tire....
Hi All, Currently going through study of reactive power management, I find myself in doubt that is if the reactive power goes down in a system. First case is that...
CEans, In case you've missed, we've added the Facebook, Google +1 and Twitter buttons at the bottom of every discussion on CrazyEngineers. In our earlier version, there was a small...