need help on Gibbs Free Energy

Hi everyone. This time I need help with finding the Gibbs Free Energy of this chemical reaction: CaC2(s)+2H2O(l) --> C2H2 + Ca(OH)2

The question says to use the standard-state free energies of formation, [​IMG]Gfo for finding the Gibbs free energy to prove that even if Acetylene cant be synthesized from an element,we can get Acetylene from this reaction.

StaNdard free energies of formation for each compound:
CaC2=-64.9
H2O=-237.2
C2H2=209.2
Ca(OH)2=-898.6

The answer is -150.1 kJ

Replies

• Aruwin
    Aruwin
    Oh,i have figured it out 😀
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Why don't you post your research???
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    Praveen-Kumar
    Why don't you post your research???
    Oh, because I didn't find the answer through internet but from my textbook. It was actually easy. Just minus the total energy of the reactants from the total energy of the products. I was confused at first.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Eco-impact calculators become part of design engineering. https://www.deskeng.com/articles/aabdpd.htm
Just stumbled upon the following advertisement by The Hindu. I liked the ad. What's your take?
Please anybody help me ,i'm facing the problem with the desktop pc, that is, when i connect a pen drive to my pc the system shuts down suddenly and when...
Have you ever wonder how much we use information in our daily works (presentation, project reports) without the permission of owner. Eg: An image copied from Wikipedia & Google. We...