Need Help: New kind of Matrix formula?

In my book, I've:

Problem: Express the matrix [] as a sum of symmetric and skew symmetric matrices.

Okay, as far as I know, symmetric matrix remains the same even if we transpose it.
And the skew symmetric matrix is the same as it's -1 x the transpose of itself.

How do I suppose to solve this?
here [] =
| 2 -4 9 |
| 14 7 13 |
| 3 5 11 |

I think, first I should write the transpose of matrix which is the symmetric matrix and then write the transpose again multiplied by -1.

After that I can add both matrix and prove that it is equal to the [] matrix.

but in book, they used these formula,

B = 1/2 (A+A')
C = 1/2 (A-A')

I'm not sure what is this... and where it came from 😨

Anyone can explain me? My method is right or the method used in the book? β˜•

Replies

• ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    No problem I got πŸ˜€

A direct proof is as follows:

Let X be the given square matrix

Let X=A+B where A is symmetric and B is skew symmetric

That is A'=A and B' = - B .......(1)
    Therefore,
    X'=A'+B' ( using the property of transpose of a matrix)
    or, X'=A - B from (1) above

Now, as X is square , therefore, X+X' and X-X' are defined.

Therefore X+X'=A+B +A-B= 2A

and X-X'=A+B- (A-B) = 2B

Therefrore A=(X+X')/2

and B= (X-X')/2

It is easy to verify that A'=A and B'= - B

That is A is symmetric and B is skew symmetric

Therefore , X can be uniquely expressed as sum of a symmetric matrix and a skew symmetric matrix, which is

X =(X+X')/2 + (X-X')/2

I understood the green part πŸ˜€ , but the red part is little confusingπŸ˜• .. A'=A and B' = -B but how? we got only A=(X+X')/2 and B= (X-X')/2.... ??? 😨
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm not sure what you are not getting here.. A = A' and B = -B' are assumptions that you made in the beginning, right? (ie., you have assumed that A is symmetric and B is skew symmetric)

You can probably take the transpose of (X+X')/2 and (X-X')/2, and check that they are indeed the same as A and -B.. but, here it's actually assumed that it is true.
  • ErAnushka
    ErAnushka
    silverscorpion
    I'm not sure what you are not getting here.. A = A' and B = -B' are assumptions that you made in the beginning, right? (ie., you have assumed that A is symmetric and B is skew symmetric)

You can probably take the transpose of (X+X')/2 and (X-X')/2, and check that they are indeed the same as A and -B.. but, here it's actually assumed that it is true.
    Omg wait... I got it πŸ˜€

We are actually proving that any square matrix is a sum of symmetric matrix and skew symmetric matrix, so here, A is symmetric matrix and B is skew symmetric matrix.

We got both value, so,

A+B = (X+X')/2 + (X-X')/2
    A+B = (X+X' + X-X') /2
    A+B = 2X/2
    A+B = X

Here X is a square matrix! OMG! I'm so stupid 😁
    By the by thanks for the reply, I got the idea at the moment of reading this again πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So, on 1st September 2012 - We had an official CE Meet at Barista in Mumbai's Shivaji Park. Four of us CEans - AbraKaDabra Punch_a_Tantra godfather and LittleNut travelled from...
Good day to everyone, I'm fresh graduated and would like to ask for someone opinion regarding above issue. Please some one help me for my understanding. Thanks and appreciate for...
My name is jayson parba. . .A com sci student. . . . I'm very thankful of this site because it help me in my programming project, specially to Mr....
Anomymous infiltered into Booz Allen Hamilton consulting firms servers, holding thousands of military emails. It later produced a bill addressed to the company, stating it needed no efforts to break...
hello i am an aerospace student doing my II year B.Tech in Karunya University Coimbatore. Can you please send me some paper presentation topics for my course.Can you please email...