Need help for development of my project

Hi CEans😀,
I have planned to do my pre-final year project to polish the shoe automatically. I have planned to use the circular brush which rotate in four direction by using the bevel gear setup as shown in the diagram. The liquid shoe polishing liquid is spray in the brush by pressing the knob. we can just place the leg inside the machine and on the machine it clean and polish our shoe . i think the project is development of ordinary shoe polishing machine which is in the restaurant and public places where we want to rotate our legs to clean the shoe . I have attached my design , so kindly give me some suggestion and evaluate my design which may help me develop my project to higher extent . so kindly help me😀 please,...
download (2)
(Ordinary shoe polishing machine)

The above image is the photo of ordinary shoe polishing machine in the hotels in this we have turn around to clean our shoe . but in project we just insert our shoe from top and on the machine so that the brush that fixed in the shaft is rotate in four direction and clean and polish our shoe .
The schematic diagram is shown bellow Photo1562
(My design for automatic shoe polishing)

Kindly give me some suggestion for this design.

Regards,
sugantan

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Kindly dont provide contact details , it attracts spam.
  • Sugantan Ravichandran
    Sugantan Ravichandran
    I'm really sorry for providing my contact Mr.saandeep. It will not occurs on next time.
  • jigarmech
    jigarmech
    attachment is showing an error

The requested attachment could not be found.
    can you link to the attachment again.
  • Sugantan Ravichandran
    Sugantan Ravichandran
    jigarmech
    attachment is showing an error

can you link to the attachment again.
    I attached the images again.....
  • Sekocan
    Sekocan
    Hi,

I am a teaching assistant in Middle East Technical University Mechanical Engineering Department and I was responsible for the Final Projects of senior years for 6 semester.

The suggestions that I will give here is not specifically about your shoe polisher, but about how you need to approach the design process.

First of all, trying to get concept suggestions is not an effective idea because we are not thinking about that project as much as you or your teammates do. Other people (than your teammates) will try to understand your problem, they will think about it for 5 minutes (at max) and give a suggestion or not. But you are thinking about it the whole day or week or semester. So we can't "create" better concepts than yours in 5 minutes. But there is a solution of course.

If you are working as a team (and I always suggest to work as teams for engineers), you need to do a brainstorming session with your teammates to create many many concepts. There are many resources on the internet about brainstrorming but don't waste too much time researching that. It will easily turn into procrastineering. Just remember that there is no "NO" in brainstorming. If somebody suggest something, you can't say "No it's not feasible" you can only say "in addition to that, we can modify your suggestion like this and we also solve the blah blah problem". The reason for this is, if you say "no", you block a whole branch of ideas. Let the tree grow, when it stops growing, then you can cut some branches. Now you can say "this idea is so futuristic, we can't achieve this" or "this would be extremely expensive and it appears that we can't find a way to make it cheaper". But be careful! You can only cut the "extreme" branches. They must be "Extremely expensive" like using titanium for chasis or "so futuristic" that it needs teleportation to work. The others should stay.

Then you need to know what you want. Or what the customer wants. Or what the boss wants. They must have some criterias. Like "It must be cheap", "it shouldn't take much power", "it should clean 2 shoes at the same time" or maybe some special necessities like "it can't contain electrical motors (spark danger maybe)".
    The last one is a MUST. You must obey this. If any of your concepts use electrical motors for example, you must try to modify those concepts and if you can't, they must go.

The other ones are the measurable criterias. And you need to assign points to them like "how important are they". For example if you are building this for a luxury hotel chain like Hilton, making it cheap doesn't have a big importance. But if they want it to run on battery (not AC), power consumption has a very big importance.
    Then you need to compare the concepts. For example a concept may be cheaper but needs more power, then it can't have much points because of the "importance coefficients/multipliers).

And there may be some "Good to Have"s. These are like "if it can do this it would be great but not a must actually, just it would be good to have". These are bonuses. It is up to you as engineer to consider these when you are comparing your concepts. Because sometimes customers want some additions that would make the whole system unreliable. For example, does your shoe polisher really have to have an iPod input?

After the comparison, select the top 3-4 concepts and make one your "Best Concept" and make another your "Second Best Concept". The second one is your backup plan actually.

Then you can show those concepts to us and we can make suggestions like little modifications or additions or better: subtractions.
  • Sugantan Ravichandran
    Sugantan Ravichandran
    Sekocan
    Hi,

I am a teaching assistant in Middle East Technical University Mechanical Engineering Department and I was responsible for the Final Projects of senior years for 6 semester.

The suggestions that I will give here is not specifically about your shoe polisher, but about how you need to approach the design process.

First of all, trying to get concept suggestions is not an effective idea because we are not thinking about that project as much as you or your teammates do. Other people (than your teammates) will try to understand your problem, they will think about it for 5 minutes (at max) and give a suggestion or not. But you are thinking about it the whole day or week or semester. So we can't "create" better concepts than yours in 5 minutes. But there is a solution of course.

If you are working as a team (and I always suggest to work as teams for engineers), you need to do a brainstorming session with your teammates to create many many concepts. There are many resources on the internet about brainstrorming but don't waste too much time researching that. It will easily turn into procrastineering. Just remember that there is no "NO" in brainstorming. If somebody suggest something, you can't say "No it's not feasible" you can only say "in addition to that, we can modify your suggestion like this and we also solve the blah blah problem". The reason for this is, if you say "no", you block a whole branch of ideas. Let the tree grow, when it stops growing, then you can cut some branches. Now you can say "this idea is so futuristic, we can't achieve this" or "this would be extremely expensive and it appears that we can't find a way to make it cheaper". But be careful! You can only cut the "extreme" branches. They must be "Extremely expensive" like using titanium for chasis or "so futuristic" that it needs teleportation to work. The others should stay.

Then you need to know what you want. Or what the customer wants. Or what the boss wants. They must have some criterias. Like "It must be cheap", "it shouldn't take much power", "it should clean 2 shoes at the same time" or maybe some special necessities like "it can't contain electrical motors (spark danger maybe)".
    The last one is a MUST. You must obey this. If any of your concepts use electrical motors for example, you must try to modify those concepts and if you can't, they must go.

The other ones are the measurable criterias. And you need to assign points to them like "how important are they". For example if you are building this for a luxury hotel chain like Hilton, making it cheap doesn't have a big importance. But if they want it to run on battery (not AC), power consumption has a very big importance.
    Then you need to compare the concepts. For example a concept may be cheaper but needs more power, then it can't have much points because of the "importance coefficients/multipliers).

And there may be some "Good to Have"s. These are like "if it can do this it would be great but not a must actually, just it would be good to have". These are bonuses. It is up to you as engineer to consider these when you are comparing your concepts. Because sometimes customers want some additions that would make the whole system unreliable. For example, does your shoe polisher really have to have an iPod input?

After the comparison, select the top 3-4 concepts and make one your "Best Concept" and make another your "Second Best Concept". The second one is your backup plan actually.

Then you can show those concepts to us and we can make suggestions like little modifications or additions or better: subtractions.
    Thank you for your kind information and suggestion . I assure that I apply ur idea for developing my project for betterment success. thanks a lot

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

That's the teaser Sony's sent to select media publications in the United Kingdom. Now the last line of the teaser makes it all very interesting. Slimmest playstation? Is the Playstation...
Hi All, I am Muzzamil from Bangalore and I Apologies for any errors/ mistakes in the post below, as this is my first post in LIFE. Firstly i really appreciate...
I am currently in 6th sem of engineering (3rd year)..in Pune University I want to give 2015 attempt for GATE should I join the Gate Coaching Classes which are conducted...
projects related to aeronautical and mechanical departments in R&D design analysis Study material Question bank Technical articles aeroprojectsite.wordpress.com space2aero.blogspot.in
Czech Republic located game studio, Warhorse Studios has funded a Kickstarter game Kingdom Come Deliverance; which is powered by Crytek's CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is the latest version of Crytek's game...