mbeychok
mbeychok
Branch Unspecified
04 May 2009

Need capability to use subscripts and superscripts

Admin:

I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.

I strongly suggest that you consider making that capability available to users of this forum.

Perhaps, the easiest thing to do is to turn on HTML as well as vB code ... because HTML has that capability.

Regards,
xheavenlyx

xheavenlyx

Electronics and Communication
11 years ago
Thats a good idea, hope Biggie makes the change. I still have to learn how to use these features for their full capabilities.
11 years ago
I'm aware of the problem that Mr. Beychok mentioned. For an engineering forum, ability to have subscripts & superscripts. However there is a big problem with HTML or VBScript enabling - It makes the site vulnerable to attacks.

I've not yet toyed with the BB code. Will try it out and update soon.

-The Big K-
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
11 years ago
Oh yea.. thats a good idea. Things like integral and differential signs, Fourier transform stuff, etc. One alternative is to use that Microsoft Equation object in Word and insert as a picture. But that involves so many steps.
mbeychok

mbeychok

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
Admin:

You might want to look at these forums:

(1) Eng-Tips Forums at www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=798, scroll to bottom of page and click on "Process TGML" and see their extensive list of tags.

(2) Chemical-Engineering-Forum at chemical-engineering-forum.com/index.php?action=post;board=1.0 and see their [sup] and [sub] tags.

(3) CR4 Forum at [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]cr4.globalspec.com/edit/newthread?f=9[/FONT] and see their
X2 and X² tags.
11 years ago
...anyone here doubts why the Administrator calls himself 'Good Administrator' 😉

A warm Welcome to everyone[sup]2[/sup] ! 😁

How are you?

I just drank a glass full of H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] & then ran at a speed of 1.5x10[sup]2[/sup] m/sec!

Have fun!

-The Big K-
11 years ago
Forgot to explain how to add superscripts & subscripts to your text.

For subscripts, use the "sub" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.
For superscripts, user the "sup" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.

-The Big K-
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
11 years ago
Yay![sup]2[sup]2[sup]2[/sup][/sup][/sup] Can we add some maths symbols too?
mbeychok

mbeychok

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
Admin:

Thanks very much for your very prompt provision for using subscripts and superscripts!!

May I suggest, that for the great many users of this forum who may never read this thread, you include an explanation of how to use subscripts and superscripts in the message editing/posting box?

Regards, Milt Beychok
11 years ago
Right now, we cannot use mathematical symbols in posts. But we'll see if we can develop such utility.

For subscripts, use following tags around the text-
"sub" text "/sub" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )
For superscripts, use following tags around the text-
"sup" text "/sup" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

So, to write H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] , I will type -

H "sub"2"/sub" SO "sub"4"/sub" ( Of course, replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

-The Big K-
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
11 years ago
Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

https://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=8997

It'll be awesome if we could use it! 😀
Prasad Ajinkya

Prasad Ajinkya

Branch Unspecified
11 years ago
Awesome response time Biggie 😀
11 years ago
ash
Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

https://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=8997

It'll be awesome if we could use it! 😀
You guys are just great 😁 . Give me some time to understand the LaTex system. I'm bit too busy traveling around.

kidakaka
Awesome response time Biggie 😀
<- that's what I am! 😁 Thanks a ton!

-The Big K-
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
11 years ago
Cool, thanks Big K! If you need some extra help finding out how to implement, i'll do some extra research if you want 😉
Ashraf HZ

Ashraf HZ

Communications
10 years ago
Going on a roll with looking through vb addons, I found this one that can add LaTex symbols.. but as images, however.

[latex][/latex] bbcode - vBulletin.org Forum

Its for vb version 3.5.. I wonder if it is still compatible, biggie?
10 years ago
Yep, I guess there is compatibility issue.
xheavenlyx

xheavenlyx

Electronics and Communication
10 years ago
Once upon a time at a grocery store.[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Shop Keeper: blah[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub] blah[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Customer: NOOoo[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]O[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
10 years ago
Nice creativity, xHx. The problem is that members don't use the subscript & superscript facility.

Therefore, any add-on, won't be added unless the 'need' is felt. Otherwise, its difficult to battle with the compatibility issue that's common with all the plugins.
ForexGuides

ForexGuides

Branch Unspecified
9 years ago
I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.

Share this content on your social channels -

Only logged in users can reply.