Need an opinion on Best insulation to be used on manual joining of live wires.

Hey guys, I just found a live wire cut down which was coming from a gadget. I tried to end it manually by shilling the insulation and joining the two copper ends together. Now the gadget is working fine. But i am worried about the occasional sparks coming from it. I think it needs to be covered since it is rainy season and it will increase risks of accident. I had normal transparent tape. I covered it along but i have scene the black or green hard tape which electricians use. Is it necessary i should buy that or is it cool with the transparent one?

Also i wanna know the specialty of the special black/green tape the electricians use. Any one can put some light on this?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Use the coloured tapes as they offer better insulation than the white transparent paper sticking tapes
    You may ask for insulation tapes in shops to get a hold of them
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Some information is needed here, what is the gadget you are talking about?
    What is the power source , I am assuming it is 230V AC. What is the product(load)? since this determines the current flowing through the wire.

Next, coming to your question, its always unsafe to do the procedure you have done, mostly everyone does that. but, if you are joining the copper wires there is a increase in resistance in a way, and it is unsafe as the wire comes out which may cause shock.

If you have a soldering machine, solder the wires have smooth connectivity, then bind it with a white tape i dont know the name of it but its some sort of rubber then again bind with colored tape.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    English-Scared
    Some information is needed here, what is the gadget you are talking about?
    What is the power source , I am assuming it is 230V AC. What is the product(load)? since this determines the current flowing through the wire.

Next, coming to your question, its always unsafe to do the procedure you have done, mostly everyone does that. but, if you are joining the copper wires there is a increase in resistance in a way, and it is unsafe as the wire comes out which may cause shock.

If you have a soldering machine, solder the wires have smooth connectivity, then bind it with a white tape i dont know the name of it but its some sort of rubber then again bind with colored tape.

The device I am talking about is a spikebuster. The one you use like an extension board. Multiple sockets.

I dont obviously have a soldering machine. And it seems to be working fine for now. I will try and replace that wire if sparks come out more often.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If its a spike buster then you MUST change the wire soon.

Since, you can connect lot of load to that , I mean you will be able to connect many appliances to it.

There is a risk of fault current as well which might damage the spike buster in worst case all the appliances connected.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    English-Scared
    If its a spike buster then you MUST change the wire soon.

Since, you can connect lot of load to that , I mean you will be able to connect many appliances to it.

There is a risk of fault current as well which might damage the spike buster in worst case all the appliances connected.

Well i guess I do it. Last time the fuse on that device went off, so I shorted that circuit. It doesn't have a fuse anymore. I run my laptop, mobile charger and occasionally an electric kettle on that. Do you still think I should replace the wire?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Nayan Goenka
    The device I am talking about is a spikebuster. The one you use like an extension board. Multiple sockets.

I dont obviously have a soldering machine. And it seems to be working fine for now. I will try and replace that wire if sparks come out more often.
    You must be nuts to use white adhesive tape beware the tapes are not 100% fire resistant Better change the wire to reduce risk

Spike busters are prone to high current during fault

Nayan Goenka
    Well i guess I do it. Last time the fuse on that device went off, so I shorted that circuit. It doesn't have a fuse anymore. I run my laptop, mobile charger and occasionally an electric kettle on that. Do you still think I should replace the wire?
    Mate stop using that damn buster you may set your house on fire
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Nayan Goenka

You shorted the fuse? The fuse is there to stop high current flowing through the device to save the device itself. If you short the fuse then there will be huge risk of high current flowing to the machine.

How did you short the fuse? what is the thickness of the wire you have used to do that?

Its pretty unsafe if the thickness is more! Replace the fuse if the problem still exists then replace the wire.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    English-Scared
    You shorted the fuse? The fuse is there to stop high current flowing through the device to save the device itself. If you short the fuse then there will be huge risk of high current flowing to the machine.

How did you short the fuse? what is the thickness of the wire you have used to do that?

Its pretty unsafe if the thickness is more! Replace the fuse if the problem still exists then replace the wire.

Dont bash me both of you. It was 1am and I was watching a movie. I noticed phone battery is dead so i plugged it in. Noticed the spikebuster isnt working and 5 mins later fuse gone. So i switched it off, opened the device, pulled out the complete fuse circuit, then joined the two wires coming in and out of that circuit. It was normal thickness wire. Next day sparks came from the wire connecting to switchboard, so i chiveled that place, connected copper wires and put on cello tape. Ok I will replace that shit or atleast get it repaired.

This is what I did. 😁 Crazy Engineering 😛
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, I once read about how Egyptians in ancient times had an advanced technology in various fields. They were excellent architects and civil engineers we know that evidently from...
can we have masters in engineering physics after doing bachelors in mechanical engineering?
Is it possible to store solar energy directly into regular batteries that you find in markets?
Hi Folks, I'm sure that most of us folks are addicted to certain things in life. Of a few, hot cups of beverages have become our daily habits since long...
does plastic and concrete bonds together??