Nature's Way to Relieve Stress Inspires Designs for Nearly Indestructible Bridges

Quote:
An engineer in the UK has found inspiration in nature for the design of bridges that are far stronger and more durable than current designs.
Emeritus Professor Wanda Lewis in the School of Engineering at the University of Warwick has been studying how nature relieves stress for 25 years, taking an approach called “form-finding,” a process of shaping an object, or a structure, by loads applied to it, she told Design News in an interview. This process is different than engineering methods that start from an assumed shape and then check the stresses and displacements in a structure under an applied load, she said.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

there are many branches and many more choices available in the b.tech.but the question is ,if i want to do my own business then which branch will be best for...
hello crazy engineer!! cn u guys guide me to do this..i just finish my last sem exam and get this job...im got no experience at all in this field TT...this...
Growing up in Jaipur with a middle class upbringing, Mayank Bhagya got the backing of a strong family foundation and good education - two factors that fanned his aspirations to...
I just noticed that Amazon has started offering Amazon Prime in India as well. Looks like this started today. Needless to say I signed up this morning (and ordered a...
Technology has grown by leaps and bounds. Indian engineering curricula on the other hand seem ossified. This article from Machine Design gives some pointers where changes may be needed. What...