Natural Language vs Structured Commands

Hey guys!

So, I guess this is my first real post here, so if this has covered-- I apologize in advance.

What are your guys thoughts on using Natural Language as a command structure versus a more typical, organized syntax. We are developing a system that decodes natural language and does tasks based off of what is typed or said.

For the sake of user friendliness (users would not have to learn a formal syntax)-- we have been playing around changing our structured syntax to a free form model. However, from the preliminary models and testings we have done-- the English language (and how people express thoughts) can often be so dynamic that having a free form system that works without issue may be a heavy task.

More so, we have thought about the high probability of having overlapping words and potential confusion between words that invoke action and descriptive words. Any thoughts? Any case studies of any strong free form systems? I know I have seen some attempts at this for search engines-- but they typically yield mediocre results.

Thanks in advance.

Solomon Tubbs-Foster
CEO / Founder
Zhout LLC
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I wish to join IEEE under the student membership category, I wish to know the validity of the subscription if i join right now, (is it till october 2011??)....
CEans, Today's 10.10.10 and uBuntu is releasing the latest stable version of uBuntu OS 10.10. Those who have downloaded the Release Candidate know that 10.10 packs lot of improvements and...
I don't know what happen to me today, But i am scared when i came to think about my future.Because i didn't have good marks in 12th and also not...
Google has been testing self-driving cars on roads in California and so far they've avoided everything but a minor fender bender caused by a human-driven car. Google's robot car is...
Six months after Web traffic involving popular U.S. sites and e-mail from computers around the globe was re-directed to Chinese servers unnecessarily, Internet watchers are trying to figure out why...