Native JSON Data Type In MariaDB - Does it solve searching issue?

I'm reading about JSON data type support in MariaDB and wondering if it specifically addresses the data search issue. For example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ID | Table1 | Table 2 | Table 3 | ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | Book1 | author1 | ......

Vs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ID | jSON BLOB | ...
1 | {book1: author1}| ......

PS: above json blob is incorrect; but it doesn't matter.

Under normal circumstances, searching json data would put lot of unnecessary burden on the server because you'll first have to fetch the blob, decode it and then check for individual values.

My question is: Does the new JSON data type actually solves this issue and allow users to directly query json blobs efficiently; like the NoSQL solutions out there.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: We tend to think of learning a new skill or "going back to school" as something you'd do when looking to change careers, or to upgrade within your current...
Quote: It might be possible someday to "breed" robots, allowing the robots themselves to select out what traits are most "attractive" in environments with unanticipated challenges. That is the tantalizing...
For the last half a decade, flexible OLED displays gained more popularity than what was anticipated. The big players, especially Samsung and LG were the one of the few well...
Hi , Im using DRAFTSIGHT software which is almost similar to AUTOCAD.Coming to the point I had drawn 20 drawings in a sheet and given a specific number to each...
Quote: A Tasmanian devil at the San Diego Zoo can get back to his devilish ways, thanks to a Medtronic pacemaker. Nick, a 6-year-old Tasmanian devil, received the second pacemaker...