National Skills Registry (NSR) Registration | Payment | Renewal | BlackList - Truth?

Those who have started working for an IT company in India the recent past must know about the NASSCOM initiative known as - nationalskillregistry.com
Most engineering colleges would ask students to register on the site before appearing for campus placements.

For all I know, the initiative was started to keep a database/ a record of all the IT company employees in one place. Most of the big IT firms (TCS, Cognizant, IBM, Tech Mahindra, Wipro, Infosys etc.) have joined in and shared their employee information with NSR or National Skills Registry so it does have a very huge database.
(As of May 2012, 11.10 lakh professionals working in IT /ITes industry in India have registered their profiles on NSR.)

NASSCOM apparently believes that they should privately (And securely?!) store the personal information of every employee including work history and employment data in their own records.

According to the nationalskillregistry.com website, All Indian employees will be registered on it. Here come some of the features -

1. No new employee will be hired without being a part of the registry.
2. The data is 'owned by the employee'. Only the employee can authorize a potential employer to view his/her information. Confidentiality and privacy are, thus, assured.
^ Seriously?
3. No employer can, on their own, add anything to the registry except purely factual data.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How to register and make payment for National Skills Registry?

1. First of all, it's very important that you use IE (Internet Explorer) for opening the website:
    Welcome to National Skills Registry 1 . You might be tempted to use Firefox or Chrome, but those browsers can't handle the awesomeness of the national skills registry web design!

2. Choose - "NEW USER?" and then click on the "Register Now" link. Proceed to step 3.

3. Clicking on "Register Now", you should be presented with a new pop-up window. Take out a moment to read out the text below and scroll down to click or check "I Agree", click "Submit".

4. Select the option NSR Registration Requested By "Registering at my own".

5. Carefully enter all the personal information.

6. Enter the data correctly in "present address" section. You will receive your NSR IT Card on this address. So double-check it before you submit. It's often very difficult to get a re-issue of the card; so better spend some more time checking it before submitting.

7. Fill up the immediate previous address, if it exists. You need to fill this address ONLY IF you've stayed at the location for over one year. If not, leave the field blank.

8. Is your permanent address different than your current address? If not, make sure that you fill up the fields correctly with appropriate information.

9. A lot of students will make the mistake of entering incorrect email ID. Since your IT-PIN gets mailed to this email ID; you need to be absolutely sure that you've entered correct details.

10. Passport and PAN fields need to be filled only if you have the details. No need to worry if you don't have them right now.

11. Now you need to select a good username and password. Make sure that you choose a strong password for your account. A strong password is often a combination of UPPERCASE, lowercase, numbers (123...) and special characters (#@$^&* etc.). It must also be very easy to remember.

12. After you click on 'save and continue', you should see your "Acknowledgment Number". Please note it down in your notebook or diary or any other place where you can find it later.

13. Enter the data for education details. [You can edit this later any time you want]

14. Select the address where the card will be delivered. Then click 'Submit and View" link or button.

15. Your data will be displayed here. You can edit it in case of any errors. Now click on "Continue your registration by doing the payment".

16. The system will now display registration amount. You are now asked to select the way of payment. You can pay the money online or at the POS (Offices assigned by NASSCOM).

17. After this, you will get your ITP Web Registration Acknowledgement Form. Print the Form. If you're using Internet Explorer as I recommended earlier, this is the step where you will appreciate it. Chrome and Firefox don't show all the fields, unfortunately.

18. Upload your photo to the form and and sign it. Now now need to go to the POS. Do not forget to carry your photo ID, which could be any government authorised ID like PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID, Two/Four Wheeler Driving License, a pass book with your photo. College ID card works too; but don't rely on it too much. You need to make the payment within the first 50 days of submitting your online form.

19. You should be done in just a few minutes. Once you've made the payments and submitted your fingerprints, you will receive your IT-PIN. You should check your mailbox. It may land in your spam/bulk mailbox, so pay attention, and check all of your mailbox often.

20. You should receive your final card within a month's time. There's a facility to check the status of the card online; so that should come handy.

Your are now done! If you have questions, you may ask them below. I'll try to answer them asap. All the best! 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Now I received an email a few days back asking me to pay the yearly "renewal" fees for the NSR.
    I wonder why is that necessary. Nobody said anything about renewal fees when they asked us to register on this website.

Another question I want to discuss with fellow engineers is that of -
    national skills registry blacklist.

There is a lot of talk about "blacklisting" the employees on NSR. Some bosses in IT or employers threaten employees about blacklisting them in the national skills registry.

Blacklisting tends to mean that the employee won't be able to find a job in any other IT company in the future.

There's of course no example of such case to my knowledge. Is this true? Has anyone heard of blacklisting of employees in NSR?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and all other IT engineers to discuss if they have heard of NSR blacklisting and have an opinion on this.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't have registered with NSR.
    Now a days service based companies are asking for this NSR, and these steps looks more complicated than applying a passport 😨
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Looks like they are not making it 'compulsory' in all IT firms. For unemployed graduates, there is the news circulating that without registering for NSR, they won't be called for job interviews. Wondering how much of that is true.

Do you think collecting employee data in a single repository is a good idea?
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Not all companies ask for NSR registration. Most service based companies do, I believe.
    If your career goes through product based companies, NSR blacklisting won't really matter.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    eternalthinker
    If your career goes through product based companies, NSR blacklisting won't really matter.
    Your comment might make some people think that NSR blacklisting is indeed a real practice, which I don't think that is true at all.

I heard from a friend that an employer absconded a female employee who went on a long vacation post-pregnancy due to medical issues, and later updated the NSR website to reflect the same. Her IT career stopped there, she said. 😨
  • Aditya Singhal
    Aditya Singhal
    Ankita Katdare
    Your comment might make some people think that NSR blacklisting is indeed a real practice, which I don't think that is true at all.

I heard from a friend that an employer absconded a female employee who went on a long vacation post-pregnancy due to medical issues, and later updated the NSR website to reflect the same. Her IT career stopped there, she said. 😨
    I talked to nsr help desk few days back, they told there is nothing like blacklisting any employee, and only the owner of the profile can make changes to his profile.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    eternalthinker
    Yes.. I don't see product companies asking for it. few month back, I got offer from a service based organisation and they asked me register before joining.
    What is cost of maintaining this account? Is anyone here already registered with NSR?
  • Sharvari Panchbhai
    Sharvari Panchbhai
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes.. I don't see product companies asking for it. few month back, I got offer from a service based organisation and they asked me register before joining.
    What is cost of maintaining this account? Is anyone here already registered with NSR?
    At the time of registration we need to pay Rs. 337. (Registration fee- Rs. 250 , Annual Usage Fee of Rs. 50 for the year of registration, Service Tax- Rs. 37)

The one who have already registered need to pay Rs. 50 plus applicable Service Tax (Total Rs. 57 at presently applicable rates) for the maintenance of their profile on NSR.

National skills registry blacklist- I have asked some of my friends. They also don’t have much idea regarding this.
  • sampath.dharmalingam
    sampath.dharmalingam
    Will the employer be able to make remarks about a professional in NSR? Will that remark be visible to all who access that professional's NSR profile?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# From what I have read on various HR related portals and my discussions with IT employees, it has become fairly clear that the employer or a manager can not 'blacklist' an employee or a subordinate on the NSR Registry. All they can do is blacklist you in their own database, so you may not be able to apply again to the same company.

If an employer threatens an employee about NSR blacklisting, the employee 'can sue the employers'. However, if you are really worried about this, it's a good idea to consult a lawyer. They can go through your profile or special case and suggest accordingly.

• Mayank Sood
    Mayank Sood
    I Am Unable to request for NSR physical card.
    In the "Request for" tab there is no "request for NSR physical card"
    What should i do?
  • ZingZIng
    ZingZIng
    I will join in CTS next month they asked to register in NSR but my previous company small company now it is not there, now what should i fill the previous company column ?should i give company details or not?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

What do you guys think are the advantages/benefits of registering in the National Skills Registry for the applicant?

• Shristi Suman
    Shristi Suman

What if I am unable to do the NSR within 50 days?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

On first day of CWG 2014, Indian weightlifters Khumukcham Sanjita Chanu lifted a total of 173 kg to get gold while Mirabai Chanu lifted 170 kg to win silver in...
I can relate to this totally. May his tribe increase. That is what passion is about. Quote: When an Apple programmer’s project got canceled, he didn’t despair. He just kept...
Quote Women make 80% of healthcare decisions in the United States, but the percentage of females leading healthcare companies is still tiny. A 2012 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report,...
Quote: A French start-up is developing vision-restoration systems that stimulate the retina to obtain bionic vision. These innovations are the fruit of collaborative work by several leading-edge research teams in...
Another year and another challenge. I am happy to share with you that I along with my wife Moumita Das have reached the phase 2 of IEC 2014 We are...